What's your job?

Prelude76

Take care and have a nice weekend.
Just exactly what is that supposed to mean???? :huh:
"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"Errr, I guess I have failed in my attempt to convey well wishes, I'm open to suggestions on finding a way that will work.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Jeber

• Stryder

• siebkens

I believe that is a formal salutation, indicating a wish for you to take care of yourself (be safe and happy) and a wish for you to have a nice, pleasant, enjoyable weekend, being it was posted on a Saturday. Of course, I could be totally off-base. :huh:

Of course, I could be totally off-base.  :huh:
No, you nailed it, thank you.
It was only a joke, Acadia. Granted it was a little out in left field, but out in left field is where most Hoosiers call home.

it was a little out in left field
I've always said you were out standing in your field. Besides, it's so much fun to needle you now and then. :huh:

it was a little out in left field
I've always said you were out standing in your field. Besides, it's so much fun to needle you now and then. :blink:
Wow, you do acupuncture TOO???? Your wide array of talents never cease to amaze me!!!

Rumor is you're been offering back massages with a shovel in your neighborhood. True? :Pand just to push your buttons one more time:

array of talents never cease
array = ceases. arrays = cease

but out in left field is where most Hoosiers call home.
Oh, OK, I guess Nittany Lions must have a different sense of humor <g>Now, TAKE CARE and HAVE A NICE WEEKEND.

jbredmound
[Wow, you do acupuncture TOO???? Your wide array of talents never cease to amaze me!!!
It's not acupuncture, it's knitting...Jeber is bringing a whole new flavor to this thing...from shovels to knitting needles.Dr Earle warned me that it might come to this, and it has.It's very sad ;) ...I mean, it is not a happy thing ;) ...well, it's going to be tough on the paranoid folks ;) ;) , but there you have it.There is no turning back, Apologies are for social purpose only. The inevitable is just that...Whoooohaahahhahahah ;)

On the side, and for free ;), I help all the friends and family that have computer problems - just like  all of you do!
Me too! Stay at home mom, volunteer extraordinaire keeping computers running at schools & church. I'm just a normal person - you people are scaring me!!

Welcome to the forums, siebkens. Please, don't be afraid of us, we're mostly harmless. Check out some of the other threads and you'll find a wealth of good information from the nicest bunch of computer users you may ever meet. Some threads may be just a tiny bit weird. Avoid these. You'll be fine. LilBambi wanders all around here fearlessly. She'll cover your back. ;)

Thanks! BTW, my neighbor just came over to borrow my shovel, is digging a hole in my back yard & invited me to watch meteors at 3 AM. I didn't realize that we were going to have meteor showers tonight!

havnblast

jbredmound: I agree with a lot of what you said. Locking people up is costly to many and with many of the inmates stuck in a revolving door all you can do is shake your head. I can relate to how you miss nursing cause I use to be on the Search and Rescue Squad also, but stepped away from it for a few years and I missed it and have gone back to being on the Squad again. I have also thought about lookin at training for the ambulance squads, all squads in the area are totally voluntary so it can't hurt to have as many as possible and some are actually in more than one squad to make sure enough people are on call if needed. It's a tough area to be in with all the politics involved.

jbredmound
Me too!  Stay at home mom, volunteer extraordinaire keeping computers running at schools & church.  I'm just a normal person - you people are scaring me!!
I was going to challenge your assertion that you were "normal", but then you divulged that these people are scaring you, and proved that you are normal.They scare me too, but I am doing my doctoral thesis in Abnormal Sociology based on this forum, so I must maintain a certain professional distance and attempt to complete my project.I am in therapy, now, as well.

Thanks!  BTW, my neighbor just came over to borrow my shovel, is digging a hole in my back yard & invited me to watch meteors at 3 AM.  I didn't realize that we were going to have meteor showers tonight!
Jeber-I swear to God is was not me, I mean, I got plenty of shovels. No need to borrow......Hey!!!! that's a good idea!!!! Thanks siebkens!!!Be back later everyone.

but out in left field is where most Hoosiers call home.
Oh, OK, I guess Nittany Lions must have a different sense of humor <g>Now, TAKE CARE and HAVE A NICE WEEKEND.
Thanks Acadia, have a nice one yourself. On a side note, have you ever been to Indiana, PA? Was just wondering about how it came up with that name. Was there a state against state war and we just captured that part of the state? Or is that were people in PA send folks that are a little out in left field? Or was the people from around there just out in left field so they just called it Indiana, PA? One other thing, did Joe Paterno really help build the Liberty Bell or is someone pulling my leg?

On a side note, have you ever been to Indiana, PA? Was just wondering about how it came up with that name. Or is that were people in PA send folks that are a little out in left field? One other thing, did Joe Paterno really help build the Liberty Bell or is someone pulling my leg?
No, never been there but we also have a Moscow, PA, hope that isn’t a prediction of things to come. We also have an Indiana County and Indiana University of Pa. But as you can see, I work at the perfect place (PA State Library) to research the Indiana name question, this type of research is always fun for me and I’ll try to get back to you. No, Joe did not help on the Liberty Bell although he is old enough to have been there. I think he was probably designing offenses for Washington to use. Ahhh, Indiana is located in the "left" side of the state. <g>Enjoy what's left of your weekend, Acadia.

On a side note, have you ever been to Indiana, PA? Was just wondering about how it came up with that name. Or is that were people in PA send folks that are a little out in left field? One other thing, did Joe Paterno really help build the Liberty Bell or is someone pulling my leg?
No, never been there but we also have a Moscow, PA, hope that isn’t a prediction of things to come. We also have an Indiana County and Indiana University of Pa. But as you can see, I work at the perfect place (PA State Library) to research the Indiana name question, this type of research is always fun for me and I’ll try to get back to you. No, Joe did not help on the Liberty Bell although he is old enough to have been there. I think he was probably designing offenses for Washington to use. Ahhh, Indiana is located in the "left" side of the state. <g>Enjoy what's left of your weekend, Acadia.
Very cool, thanks Acadia!!! I would be very interested in your findings of the origin of Indiana, PA. Could not help throwing in the Paterno joke, yours was even better. I was watching the old movie about John Cappelletti and his little brothers battle with leukemia(great movie) and Paterno was coaching then...... Wow, my brother just told me that Paterno has been at Penn St. for 51 years. And people around here thought Bobby Knight was an icon.......

Martini Lover

Jobs?????? I'll try to get this back on track.I am a Professional Handyman. Quit my job 6 years ago, and decided I could be Bob Vila with out the tv cameras. Love the job, I start about 10 am and try to be done by 2-3 in the afternoon. Doesn't always work out that way because...................... I truely believe I have the best job in the world, and love it even more because I did it on my own!

I am a Professional Handyman.
All right! I have some work I need done … oops, never mind, I just noticed your handle. <g>Acadia

Guest LilBambi
Pharmacist.Boring as he!!.Actually in between jobs, hoping to get lucky and do something else.sigh...
tbird9768 --If it pays the bills, don't knock it right? But don't worry, if you want to do something else, it will come along ... but as the saying goes ... "If it doesn't, don't worry about it." Sometimes it just takes time.I am self employed and I work from home. I go to folks homes and get their computers back in working order, provide tutoring, etc. Also create websites, provide hosting, and do other types of computer work that I can do from home.Stryder, Arcadia, --Speaking of town history. Our little town of Dendon, VA boomed when it was built by the Surry Lumber Company. It had some great years, and when it went bust, the lumber company pretty much dismantled it, took their marbles and went home. You can read a little bit about it on the Dendron Historical Society website. Pretty amazing story really.

Guest Paracelsus

I'm an Analytical Chemist. Hence my Avatar. Not always exciting, but it's been steady for the past 20+ years :o

On a side note, have you ever been to Indiana, PA? Was just wondering about how it came up with that name. Was there a state against state war and we just captured that part of the state? Or is that were people in PA send folks that are a little out in left field? Or was the people from around there just out in left field so they just called it Indiana, PA? One other thing, did Joe Paterno really help build the Liberty Bell or is someone pulling my leg?
Stryder - Did you forget that I was raised in Indiana, PA?? Actually, Indiana, PA is the County Seat of Indiana County... About 60 miles N.E. of Pittsburgh. And it existed well before the state of Indiana :o B) Indiana County was one of the first land grants west of the Allegheny Mtns. in the colony of Pennsylvania. One of the really odd things is that, if you look at a map and the shape of Indiana County... It's very similar to the shape of the State of Indiana ;) BTW...I lived there so long ago, Indiana University of Pennsylvania was still... Indiana State Teacher's College!! :rolleyes:
Good to have someone with your expertise here to keep everyone in line.  Have you had your psychiatric friends take a look at Paracelsus and Jeber?  I would love to see a diagnosis! :unsure:  B)  ;)  ;)
Julia - I bet you thought I missed this one, didn't you?? I lost my mind many years ago in undergrad school... and haven't missed it a moment :o My Philosophy is...Why Be NormalI believe live is far more interesting when one has a slightly Skewed perspective of reality :o

Guest genaldar

I'm a college student. After two failed previous attempts I slacked off for a couple of years, working temp office jobs occasionally to pay the bills. I'm planning on majoring in poli sci and history with a minor in either comp sci or psychology. I also work on campus at the help desk and during the summer I work at the metrodome in Minneapolis at a concession stand. I hope to move over to bestbuy this summer and work at their help desk. It would be a pay cut from my dome job, but I'd enjoy it more.

Prelude76
My aspiration is to be a homeless person that lives in a house.
well put, jeber. :D i'm trying hard myself to find a job that pays enough to keep my house, yet requires zero effort or work. :D its like that movie, Office Space: (rough translation)"so what do you do?""i hate my job, so ive decided not to go to work anymore""well will you find another job?""i dont think i'd like another job""what about your bills? how you gonna pay them?""i hate paying bills so i'll stop doing that too"

Very cool, thanks Acadia!!! I would be very interested in your findings of the origin of Indiana, PA.
Hi, Stryder, here's the Indiana info you were interested in:This information taken almost verbatim from "Pennsylvania Place Names" by A. Howry Espenshade.In 1803 Indiana County was formed from Westmoreland and Lycoming.Indiana County is commonly said to have derived its name "from its first denizens." This explanation is not very enlightening. It is a little more accurate and definite to point out that in all likelihood the name of the county was suggested by that of the Territory of Indiana, which Congress formed from the Northwestern Territory on May 7, 1800, almost three years before the Pennsylvania county was established, and which received its name "from one of the old ante-Revolutionary land companies". (that quote according to footnote taken from Harper’s Encyclopedia of United States History, vol. V). Captain William Trent was one of the organizers of the Indiana Land Company, and it was he who gave the name of Indiana to the territory comprised in this grant, which appears as “Indiana†in Hutchin’s map of 1778.As to the ultimate source of the name, Dr. Isaac Taylor points out that "it is one of the curiosities of the nomenclature that the name of one of the United States should have to be explained by the Greek corruption of the Persian form of a Sanskrit word meaning a river." India received its name from the Indus River, and the American Indians were so called because Columbus thought he had reached India.In 1805 the three commissioners, Charles Campbell, Randall Laughlin, and John Wilson, chose the present site of Indiana (Acadia’s note: now we’re talking about Indiana, the city) for the seat of justice, formally accepting the 250 acres which George Clymer of Philadelphia, one of the Pennsylvania signers of the Declaration of Independence, had donated for that purpose. In the same year the county town was laid out and christened Indiana, for Indiana County.Hope this was of some interest, Acadia.

Acadia-Thank you so much for digging this up. Good stuff!! Gonna have to do a little more research about my state now. Always been a big fan of history.