Stay with ESET or trade-up?

jeffw_00

V.T. Eric Layton

I seem to remember that when I installed MS Security Essentials, it warned me that I must remove/deactivate Windows Defender first. I don't know about other AV apps.

looked at microsoft.com for a while and cannot find a definitive statement for windows 7 / vista and windows defender in relation to antivirus software.

does anyone have a microsoft.com link stating do (or do not) run windows defender ~and~ your antivirus program at the same time?

[yes, i, and most of us here, know

[1. defender is anti-malware, not antivirus, and

[2. you don't run 2 av programs together.

[but neither of those is my question.]

You won't find anything on Microsoft.com about running or not running Windows Defender on Windows 7 and below with an antivirus software other than in connection with MSE.

However, you might find idiocy in the press saying that Microsoft advises using a third-party A/V in addition to MSE. This nonsense was being picked up last week. Here's my rebuttal: Sensationalist Press Got it WRONG! Microsoft Does Not Recommend Two Antivirus Programs!

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

You won't find anything on Microsoft.com about running or not running Windows Defender on Windows 7 and below with an antivirus software other than in connection with MSE.

However, you might find idiocy in the press saying that Microsoft advises using a third-party A/V in addition to MSE. This nonsense was being picked up last week. Here's my rebuttal: Sensationalist Press Got it WRONG! Microsoft Does Not Recommend Two Antivirus Programs!

Excellent rebuttal. Are those people nuts or what?!

V.T. Eric Layton

From what I've just read on two or three MS forum postings, Windows Defender is JUST an anti-malware/spyware app. MS Security Essentials is that PLUS an AV. If you just run Win Def, you will not have any AV protection. If you run MS Sec Ess, you do NOT need Win Def. If you run Win Def, but don't want to run MS Sec Ess, then you'll need some 3rd part AV product installed and running also to be completely protected.

How's that? Clear as tea with cream?

Guest LilBambi

Before Windows 8, you would be right Eric.

Microsoft Security Essentials was renamed to Windows Defender in Windows 8. It runs behind the scenes with no icon in system tray area in Windows 8; updating, scanning and cleaning all behind the scenes.

Running transparently is not what I would want. But there it is. That's how Microsoft is doing it in Windows 8. But it's the same/better version of Microsoft Security Essentials which was both AV and anti-malware, just renamed Windows Defender. They really need to get new names...reusing names and confusing users is getting frustrating.

It should not preclude anyone from running a second opinion like Malwarebytes Anti-malware though, and even WinPatrol particularly on Windows 7 or later computers that have enough get up and go, and ram to make it so the computer doesn't slow to a crawl and trip over itself when trying to clean stuff up.

V.T. Eric Layton

Maybe they should name their next security app Secure Users Control Kluge System.... or MS SUCKS for short. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I've subscribed to them for a while now. :)

Great to see you back here, Elizabeth. It's been a while. :yes: