How to connect LTO hardware to server

telecomguy9

Can someone tell me how this backup device is supposed to connect to a server? I've never setup one of these and an associate of mine is looking to buy one. It's unclear to me what he'll need to connect it to the server. He has a RAID controller in his server (a small HP tower server) and it has an external connection to it, but I don't think you're supposed to connect this to a RAID controller. Maybe I'm wrong. I think he'll need to buy an add-on card, but what kind? That's where I'm stuck.

Tandberg LTO 3 HH External

Tandberg LTO 4 HH External

Hello,

The Tandberg 3 uses an Ultra320 SCSI interface, while the Tandberg 4 uses either an Ultra320 SCSI interface or a SAS 6Gbit/s interface. So, if the server does not have an external SCSI or SAS connector, a PCIe expansion card wil need to be added to provide an interface to the tape drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Hello,

The Tandberg 3 uses an Ultra320 SCSI interface, while the Tandberg 4 uses either an Ultra320 SCSI interface or a SAS 6Gbit/s interface. So, if the server does not have an external SCSI or SAS connector, a PCIe expansion card wil need to be added to provide an interface to the tape drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

<p>Thanks for the info Aryeh. It's this one -

Huh, it cut off the URL. Let's try that again...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16840119042

Hello,

Annoyingly enough, I looked through Tandberg Data's web site and could not find any mention of which specific SAS controllers work with the SAS SFF-8088 connector on the back of the Tandberg 3513-LTO 1.6TB External SAS Interface LTO Ultrium 4 HH tape drive. If it helps, I have always had good results with LSI Logic's SCSI/RAID adapters. A call to presales support at Tandberg Data might be in order.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky