Any Trek fans here??

ross549

I was curious.... how many Trek fans do we have here? I am not a fanatic, but I am a fan, and enjoy watch Star Trek episodes when I can. Also, what particular series is your favorite?

Been a Trek fan since before Star Wars appeared. The original series is still the touchstone. I've grown to appreciate Deep Space Nine as being the best of all the franchises. Although I only saw the first 4 seasons and missed the last 3, I hear the last 3 were amazing. I may eventually get the DVDs. ST:TNG still resonates because they brought Star Trek back to life. Data is probably the most interesting character they've ever come up with. I saw the first three seasons of Voyager and liked it but I didn't miss it when I could no longer see it. (I moved to an area that doesn't easily get TV over antenna and I refuse to buy cable!) Have not seen Enterprise.

Edited by Peachy

I love them all, I've been watching them from the beginning. My favorite is voyager, I like the 7of 9 character. I haven't seen too much of enterprise but it seems really interesting as well. I think I even have most of the movies.

Big Trek Fan here. I even went to conventions when I was younger, but I wouldn't want that to get out! B) In order I'm partial toOriginalNext GenEnterprise

The closest to Spock that DS9 had was Odo. I liked him.... very dry, almost funny charector.
Yes! I forgot about poor Odo. B) You're absolutely right. I've seen the actor who played Quark and the one who played his leader in other shows since. The voices give them away. I think the latter is on Crossing Jordan periodically as a shrink.

nlinecomputers

Of all the Treks I think DS9 was the best. It took the most risks had some character development and a story that often carried from show to show. All the other treks even to large degree Enterprise suffer from bottle show syndrome in that nothing can happen to a character to change him from show to show. In the movies it gets silly in that you have characters serving in the same roles, ranks, and so forth. Makes for boring show after while with no growth to speak of.

Guest Paracelsus

Gotta agree with Nathan on this!!DS9 was the only post TNG show I watched regularly. Really hacked me off to see it canceled and Voyager still running (at the time). (But then... I liked Babylon 5 and Lexx, as well)I can still recall watching the original ST pilot, way back when. And at school, all our 6th grade class talked about was the upcoming premiere episode of the series.TNG is much more along the lines of what Gene originally intended the story line to be about. But that was too far ahead of its time. Mid '60s was still the Cold War and Vietnam. The Networks wanted Heroes & Villain much more clear cut. And more "Action"... Less "Thinking".Gene said the Networks execs told him they wanted something more like: "Wagon Train in Space" B) And of course...Kirk's numerous dalliances with all the lovely ladies (regardless of species :w00t: ) was totally '60s!!But, they are still fun to watch. And several episodes had quite a bit of humour:"The Trouble with Tibbles""Mud's Women"Roddenberry had an extraordinarily positive vision of a possible future for Humankind, that was way ahead of anything for its time. I've always found it rather inspirational.

Paracelsus,Voyager ran two years after DS9 because it started 2 years after.... All the follow-on series were 7 seasons long. B)

linuxdude32

I really liked DS9 but TNG had some really good episodes in the last few seasons (and loved it when it was the only thing going, of course). Still like watching the original ST when it's on unless it's one of those awful episodes like Spock's Brain. I liked DS9 the best because of character growth and the whole setting was awesome. Have watched Enterprise and find the stories pretty good, less dependence on tech since it's supposed to be very near in the future. And you have to listen to the theme song at the beginning. Very un-Trekish, but the visuals and the song are splendid. Liked most of the movies, too, with the exception of the first one and the fifth one. STII: Wrath of Khan was still the strongest picture in my mind.

(But then... I liked Babylon 5 and Lex, as well)
I thought I was the only person who watched Lexx :w00t: Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but I love it!
But, they are still fun to watch.  and several episodes had quite a bit of humour:"The Trouble with Tibbles""Mud's Women"
Don't forget "A Piece of the Action"Think thats where Puzo & Coppola got the idea for the Godfather??? B)

yes, i saw the original episode, originally!mom would "cook" tv dinners on start trek night, and we'd all watch it with dinner (VERY unusual for us, as we always all ate at the table...  :o )
Our family did too! We didn't watch much TV, but on Star Trek night (Wednesday, Thursday?), all of would watch together. I went to a Star Trek exhibit at the Smithsonian quite a few years back & was fascinated by what a visionary person Gene Roddenberry was. He tried selling his ideas to TV networks at the time using a conventional theme, but the networks balked at some of his radical ideas. So, he presented them within a SF framework & voila! They accepted his TV show. He brought to TV the idea of interracial relationships and many radical (at the time) views of war. (the Nazi Germany episode & the war in which casualties were determined by computers & people willingly became victims of the war are 2 which come to mind). And look at the crew!! Kind of daring for the early 60's! :whistling:

Guest LilBambi

I am definitly a long time fan. I have watched them all from the beginning, except Enterprise.Recently have seen more of the Enterprise series thanks to Adam and found it to be a great series. I had seen one here or there, and like it but we hadn't been able to remember that it was on so I missed a lot of the early episodes.My favorites are (in order):Star Trek (original)DS9EnterpriseVoyagerI like TNG but had some issues with them early on ... probably because it was such a departure from the original. I really like Data too and his character was probably why I watched it, as well as Picard (after I got used to the totally different way in which he led ... gone were the days of true swash buckling leadership...sigh.The later ones starting with DS9 were probably my first real return to the joys of watching Star Trek (other than the Original Series which we have on VHS complete with Canadian period commercials from the old Anik cband satellite).There really isn't a bad Star Trek series among them. And all the movies from the Wrath of Kahn forward are my treasured Star Trek movies. I have even come to appreciate the original movie, The Motion Picture but it took a long time! :D

Who can forget in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Christopher Plumber playing the Klingon commander, at the helm of his Bird of Prey, quoting Hamlet: "Let loose the Dogs of War!" Brilliant! :D

nlinecomputers
Who can forget in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Christopher Plumber playing the Klingon commander, at the helm of his Bird of Prey, quoting Hamlet: "Let loose the Dogs of War!" Brilliant! :D
I'd like to forget that.....Ick.

linuxdude32
Who can forget in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Christopher Plumber playing the Klingon commander, at the helm of his Bird of Prey, quoting Hamlet: "Let loose the Dogs of War!" Brilliant! :lol:
;) Remember, though "you can't truly appreciate Shakespeare unless you've read it in the original Klingon"! :lol: