We did it!

kennedy-moon-0511-mdn.jpg

"First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be more difficult or expensive to accomplish."

"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

The United States landed 12 men on the Moon in 6 missions and returned them all safely to the Earth. Three gave their lives during testing. None were lost in flight.

This is what the first man on the Moon did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaYhc4MmfXM

• Like 1

securitybreach

Eh, I completely agreed until you mentioned religion (communion). IMHO, religion has no place in science... Of course, this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. B)

Every branch of the military has chaplains for every religion.

When you ask a person to risk his or her life for something I think they are entitled to a little personal space.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Totally agree. Each person is entitled to their little personal space. And if the astronaut felt compelled in his little personal space to have communion. So be it.

securitybreach

When you ask a person to risk his or her life for something I think they are entitled to a little personal space.

I completely agree :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

kennedy-moon-0511-mdn.jpg

"First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be more difficult or expensive to accomplish."

"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."

The United States landed 12 men on the Moon in 6 missions and returned them all safely to the Earth. Three gave their lives during testing. None were lost in flight.

This is what the first man on the Moon did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaYhc4MmfXM

This was an amazing thing to see when I was young during this time! I am not talking about the Communion and others who denounced God, though. I do think that all that was a proof of freedom of religion that the country was proclaiming to the world. It wasn't the religious act that was important to the world, but that he could freely do it ... at that time in history. Like Temmu said.

But what I was referring to was the whole wonderful experience of watching on wobbly pictured black and white television, this amazing feat of mankind to reach and walk on the Moon.

And that is what we were commemorating yesterday, July 20, 1969.

Edited by LilBambi

Five F-1 rocket engines have just been recovered from the ocean floor. One has definitely been identified as belonging to Apollo 11.

Rocket Engine Pulled From the Ocean Definitely Belonged to Apollo 11

On the eve of the 44th anniversary of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking on the moon, a piece of their historic legacy has been ID’ed here on Earth. Billionaire amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos has confirmed that the rocket engines he picked up from the ocean floor five months ago belonged to Apollo 11.

More than a year ago, Bezos announced a mission to try and recover the mighty F-1 engines, which each delivered 1.5 million pounds of thrust to the Saturn V rocket that carried men to the lunar surface. After delivering the Apollo astronauts to space, the engines crashed back to Earth and lay dormant on the ocean floor for more than 40 years, reaching a serious state of decay. After trawling the Atlantic, Bezos’ team announced that they had recovered the artifacts and returned them to land for preservation and eventual display at a museum ...

• Like 1

FYI,

The first stage of the Saturn V rocket contained 5 F-1 engines.

At 138 feet (42 meters) tall it consumed 2,300 tons of fuel in little over 2 1/2 minutes.

The Saturn V is the most powerful machine ever made.

Edited by Webb

V.T. Eric Layton

Gonna' cost a bundle to ship that baby to the winning bidder then, huh? ;)

The Saturn V is the most powerful machine ever made.

I don't know if that qualifies as a machine. It's really just a giant controlled explosion.

A nuclear reactor is just a controlled explosion. But it's a contained explosion.

An automobile engine is a series of contained explosions.

Guest LilBambi

yes, saw that! quite a piece of history - i think he is going to attempt to recover it!

my dad said the "hot gas" turbine fuel pump could drain an olympic swimming pool so fast that a diver would hit bottom, not water!

Wow!

James Michener's "Space" also had an Apollo 18 mission that landed on the far side of the Moon.

Read the book to find out what happened.

Edit - OMG, I spelled an author's name wrong!

Edited by Webb
  • Like 1