Forum Camaraderie...

Guest Paracelsus

Guest Paracelsus

While I hesitate to throw fuel on a fire...I must say that I was extremely disheartened to see the "April Fool's?" thread take some of the unexpected turns it did. (Perhaps especially since I arrived too late to participate ;) )We all owe a debt of thanks to several people on these Forums. But I must say in all fairness...Were it not for the tireless efforts of Arena2045...It is Highly Doubtful that SNLF would have ever been launched, or survive the many hiccups that have occurred along the way.Back in the dim recesses of Forum History, and after much hesitation on my part, I reluctantly accepted a position as "Honorary Moderator". I relinquished that title and the perks that came with it, because I felt that I did not possess the requisite Technology or Computer knowledge. Granted...It was an Honorary title... But it just made me feel silly to be placed in a class with so many highly skilled people.Having said this...I must also say that, while we all, are indebted to the dedication and efforts of the Admins, Mods and MVPs (a position which I recently accepted after much persuasion for the highest levels, I may add)...Anyone who feels that their participation on these Forums is "Work"...Or can not at least Tolerate, if not Enjoy, some harmless shenanigans on April 1st (which apparently take place on other Forums, as well)...They may want to pause, reflect and re-evaluate their basic motivation for participating.There was no insider plot to create confusion or irritation. It was a spontaneous display of silliness on the part of one or two Admins whom I personally both Admire and Respect... GreatlyWell... That concludes LabRat's Sermon of the Day

Thank you, Paracelsus. Very well said. And I, for one, couldn't agree more. :) Now everyone has 364 days to get ready for round two. ;)

wow, Paracelsus, very well said. This forum has always been one where the sense of levity and fun was very strong. We need to work to keep it. ;)

I think everything happened too fast.Why we reverted back to "normal" is beyond me.Just because couple of highlenders have no sense of humor does not mean we are senseless and humorless bunch.I am sure there is a lot of people who found it fun and even more who never had chance to see the change as I briefly witnessed (about 10 minutes) before it reverted.Ah, well I found it fun and did not discovered all changes on time and I won't change skin from green back just in spite ;)

I just want to thank whoever was responsible! I had a blast looking for that stuff. Made me feel like a kid again. You guys are lucky I wasn't in charge...I would have made the default language of the board russian or something. ;)

nlinecomputers

Well I admit I was a party pooper here.But I was the victim of the worst bad luck. I had just been contacted by Private Message from a NEW client when Arena snapped in the new board. The new board didn't have the PM functions ON. At least not for me. So I got one PM message that I suddenly couldn't reply to. Needless to say it put me in a bad mood. Lucky the client saw my WWW link. He Hit my web page and emailed me. I was able then to setup AIM and talk to this guy. Sorry my bad mood spoiled the fun.

But I wanna know if were going back to Norman...who the heck is Norman...oh back to normal ;) .....ummmm don't know him either. :D .....But it was a blast to follow...Thanks Guys and Gals :) :)

Hey, why can we do this the 1st of every month ? . . . . Shake the highlanders awake a little bit and have some fun ?Thanks LabRat for the wise wordsThanks Titan for the fun we had this morning ;)B) Bruno

I saw no harm in the changes other than the one to rename some of the forums. The problem with that would be people posting new topics in the wrong forum and when the forums got their names changed back the postings would have to be moved. And it might be a bit of a concern for new members (low posters B) ) seeking information.nlinecomputers problem with not being able to respond to a private message would appear to be a valid consideration also. Simple solution for next year is to just not do those items. In that the changes were temporary and impacted only a few of the 3rd shift folks I don't think anyone can really complain that much.imho

I sure enjoyed the fun. I don't know what happened to Nathan but I definitely sent a PM during this. Whether it went through or not is another matter. B) I don't know about the idea of once a month. We might have our resident prankster retire due to the headaches it would cause. That was a lot of work and I for one really enjoyed it! Thanks for brightening my morning. :)Julia :P

nlinecomputers

You were able to PM? So the forum gods just decided to spit on me? Geez... I get all the luck. :P B) B) Oh well....No real harm done. I got a new client. Windows 2000 server just across the stateline had a hard drive lockup. Thank god for mirrored drives. Talked the client over AIM how to open the Dell up and pull the drive. Server now running untill a new drive ships.

It's fine to change things around, but at least give the members the options to change things back such as their skin - that sage is horrible to look at on this end. I think everyone can agree with that navigation on a site is important and should always be the easiest thing on the site for people to use. Nobody wants to spend the extra time looking for something when it should be right there.Those were my two biggest complaints. The site was designed for helping people not for playing jokes on people - what did new people who came along think when they seen the site in a total mess or a new member that didn't know much about the software and thought it was their fault and messed with the settings making it worse? You can't just sit and blame members for a lack of sense of humor cause their are staff members here that are the same way. The site has always encouraged professionalism and when a member doesn't post proper they are notified and so members aren't allowed to voice a concern when something drastic happens that effects all issues on the forum? Than the members that voiced out their concerns are looked upon as being bad and no sense of humor?? Talk about a one way street.I myself don't mind jokes and the fun that we have here on the forum, but at least let me have my options for viewing the forum in a comfortable way and usability. If I could of just had the option to change my skin back would of been great. Thanks for getting things back to normal, but I don't think other members or staff should be jumping down the throats of those that were not happy with it. It's done and over with, lets continue to make this a great fun place to be for everyone. :)

Yes, I'm in total agreement..I think all future attempts at levity, pranks, jokes and fun (referred to hereafter as shenanigans) should be put to committee vote and have above mentioned shenanigans be described in detail as well as the date said shenanigans are to take place. This should occur well in advance of the date of the proposed shenanigans. This should help minimize the effect any shenanigans will have on the intended users/members and create a much more enjoyable environment for all.Please enjoy your April fools day

Putting it to a vote would not make it spontaneous and that's what made it cool it was unexpected and in my opinion fun :whistling: I however hasten to add that I understand that the timing was inconvenient to some as Nathan pointed out it was just at a bad time.But maybe Kelly's suggestion is the best just allow for a way for those not happy with changes to restore things.Kelly in the spirit of disagreeing w/out being disagreeable I do find your comments are a bit harsh :whistling: the comments of some in the thread immediately caught my attention as being somewhat hostile and to take your point someone new to the forums and seeing those remarks might not think we are the friendly community we are.Let's take it in the spirit it was meant and forget the rest.Well said Para and points well taken. :rolleyes: My 2cents

Guest Paracelsus
Yes, I'm in total agreement..I think all future attempts at levity, pranks, jokes and fun (referred to hereafter as shenanigans) should be put to committee vote and have above mentioned shenanigans be described in detail as well as the date said shenanigans are to take place. This should occur well in advance of the date of the proposed shenanigans. This should help minimize the effect any shenanigans will have on the intended users/members and create a much more enjoyable environment for all.Please enjoy your April fools day
Amen... & Amen... :whistling: Or perhaps even better??...Have a Mirror Forum (à la "Alice Through the Looking Glass" :rolleyes: ) on April 1st, for Pranksters only...And let members choose which one they prefer to login to. :whistling: I accept all view on this...And was not aware of Nathan's woes this morning. It must have, indeed, been a bit of an unwelcome complication. Murphy works overtime??Whether or not you agreed with my position on this...I believe the opportunity this thread presented... for every one to express themselves... helped to dissipate what may have been some lingering rancor.We are an Inclusive... not Exclusive, community :sorcerer: :flowers:

Para, Good call my friend. I could not agree more. Arena is the hero behind the scenes. And asks for none of the credit. I do not believe most people here at the forums realize the amount of time and effort spent on his part. He is the glue that holds this place together.

Dern I missed it all too lol...Was in PA on vacation on that day...while my dad was on the road (on his birthday no less).Don't see the harm in having fun...the "mirror site" or at least a button to reset the boards is a good idea...

Guest Paracelsus
Dern I missed it all too lol...Was in PA on vacation on that day...while my dad was on the road (on his birthday no less).Don't see the harm in having fun...the "mirror site" or at least a button to reset the boards is a good idea...
Hope Yer Dad got back OK, FD!Glad to read that you agree. The highest levels of SNLF will be taking this all into account next AFD :w00t: