Calling all batch file writing experts :)

ichase

For those who have already read this post I decided it would be better to re-word it.

Part of my job is turning laptops into stand alone application servers for use of data collection by off line users.

For years, this was done in the Windows XP environment. As you know Microsoft is stopping all support of XP in April 2014.

The current network is now going to Windows 7 64 Bit Enterprise N.

To complete the task of setting up these standalone application servers we would Set up IIS, register .Net Framework 3.5, install Microsoft Reports Viewer, SQL Server 2005 and then our database application.

In the XP environment, setting up IIS was simple. Simply go to Add/Remove Windows Components, highlight IIS, click on Details, check off the options required, click OK and then Next and Voila, IIS started installing.

Now this as IIS 5.1. The Windows 7 laptops utilize IIS 6.0 and you are now required to go to Turn Windows features on or off and individualy check off the individual features required for IIS, . Mircrosoft .NET Framework 3.5 etc.

Now, I already know how to go in there and I know what features are required for everything to work properly. Problem is, there will be individuals who will be installing all of this who are not as computer savy.

SO.... Hypothetically speaking.

Let's say I have 5 laptops in front of me, each with a fresh Windows 7 64 Bit load on them.

On the first one, I manually go into Turn Windows features on or off and manually select each and every feature that is required. Here is the question. Can I then create a batch file that can be run on the remaining 4 laptops that will automatically enable all of the features required and prompt you to reboot? Maybe there is another way other than a batch file, maybe something via Windows Power Shell. If the answer is YES, could someone be so kind as to assist me with this. I have been tasked with simplifying this process. I have already created batch files and .reg files that have automated other required tasks thus far but this one is stumping me.

Thanks for any and all assistance and guidance,

Ian

Edited by ichase

I completely re-wrote my original post to simplify things due to this being more than just IIS, but other features as well.

Thanks,

Ian

Hello,

Like Temmu, I am thinking a disk imaging solution, or perhaps using SysPrep if you need to make the images more hardware-agnostic?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Unfortunantly, I can't go the route of 3rd party software or re-imaging. I apologize as I can't get into why, I just don't have that option.

Unfortunantly, I can't go the route of 3rd party software or re-imaging. I apologize as I can't get into why, I just don't have that option.

You need to install on a basic windows install, right?

Adam

How about using a registry monitor tool on the first one, the exporting the registry keys of the changed items and importing them into the others

How about using a registry monitor tool on the first one, the exporting the registry keys of the changed items and importing them into the others

crp,

I think one of they requirements is that no extraneous software be loaded or used on the systems. I think ichase is looking for a way to automate the setting of various system variables etc using built in tools.

Adam

if it is that draconian , i would just walk away.

and i don't think the situation is that bad as i'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the real OP that bat2exe was being used.

• Like 1

Hello,

Can you use free software in for the project, like Clonezilla?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh,

The nature of his project precludes installing any software outside the packages he is trying to configure. Sounds backwards but that is his limitation.

Adam

Hello,

Ah... I was thinking about tools that don't modify the contents of the disk. It should be fairly easy to verify all the digital signatures, hashes, etc., afterwards if there was a question about their integrity.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky