Yahoo -- Login or Lose It!

Corrine

If you haven't checked in on your Yahoo account for at least a year, there's still time to save your handle from being given away to a stranger, and that might be a very good idea indeed.

On July 15, any newcomers can claim a handle from the dead pool that was previously unavailable. The new accounts will be usable by mid-August.

More at the source:

Yahoo’s going to boot us off our deadbeat accounts, but who is going to grab them? | Naked Security

A year does seem to be too short. And I think if they want re-backs to use their email , they need to make the Basic option more functional.

I think 365 days is perfectly reasonable. I had to look up the dormant times for these types of accounts when I went on my last deployment, since I was not certain I would have access while out and about. In one case it was 180 days, just a bit shorter than the deployment. I had to make sure that I logged when when I was in a port somewhere so i would not lose the account.

After all, it is not unreasonable to think that someone has abandoned the account if it has not been logged in to in over a year. After all, storage is not free, and must be maintained.

Adam

• Like 1

storage is not free, and must be maintained.
This is true. What I don't understand is why Yahoo wastes so much server space storing my spam. With the "new" Yahoo email, the spam has not decreased and the earliest you can empty it under the settings is after a week. I used to be able to choose a shorter time period.

Juno, on the other hand, NEVER eliminates an account. They simply mark it as inactive. I have a friend who died and since I set up her email, I know both the ID and password. I worked on clearing her account out and getting the address book emptied. About 2 years later, I logged in and it was still working. I decided to start storing some of my files there since it was never eliminated. Eventually it was marked as inactive and the files removed - which was fine with me. I logged in and they set it active again.

• Like 1

This is true. What I don't understand is why Yahoo wastes so much server space storing my spam. With the "new" Yahoo email, the spam has not decreased and the earliest you can empty it under the settings is after a week. I used to be able to choose a shorter time period.

good chance they have new filtering in place and need to watch for false positives.

good chance they have new filtering in place and need to watch for false positives.

False positives are a problem, especially since lazy users like to mark legitimate email as spam, because they don't want to take the minute or so needed to unsubscribe from a mailing list.

Adam

These are not mailing lists! I can see from the subject line it is spam when it includes some drug advertised, a Canadian pharmacy, where Canadian is misspelled, a gift card, home mortgage or properties in India!

Currently 120 spams sitting in the spam folder.

Edited by zlim

Liz, very true. There is much spam in my spam folder. It seems to come in waves.

However, I think the definition of spam is not very clear. If I buy something from Tiger Direct, and somehow forget to uncheck the box to not email me, that does not make the email I get spam. However, some folks seem to think it is spam, and mark it as such. Spam filters work across accounts and so if something is marked spam enough, it will automatically go in the spam folder.

It is extremely frustrating.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yep, those that also have flickr accounts likely already have logged in. I wonder if that is enough? I didn't take changes, I logged in and cleaned up my yahoo email too. LOL!

• 3 months later...

It has started and has been successful if the holders of old Yahoo accounts are identity thieves! As reported earlier today by Sophos at Recycled Yahoo email addresses still receiving messages for previous owners – passwords included | Naked Security:

Unfortunately, however, some new owners of recycled accounts have nevertheless received messages of a sensitive nature.

InformationWeek, for example, has reported the cases of three users who received messages intended for the previous owners of their accounts.

At the outset, they received spam, but soon afterwards started to receive messages that contained PII - that's "Personally Identifiable Information", grist to the mill of identity thieves.

The situation has since been addressed by Yahoo, but hardly acceptable. From Yahoo Responds To Recycled Email Security Problem - Security -:

Yahoo announced late Tuesday night that the company plans to roll out a tool for recipients of recycled email accounts to return messages that were not intended for them. InformationWeek reported Tuesday on three Yahoo users who began receiving emails containing personal information intended for the former user -- including bank and wireless account information -- after signing up for a recycled Yahoo account.

The new button, called "Not My Email," will roll out this week and will be found under the "Actions" tab in users' inboxes. The button will help users of recycled accounts train their inboxes to recognize which email is intended for them and which is not, eventually rejecting email before the user has read it.

From the same InformationWeek article:

A Yahoo user cited in InformationWeek's story reported that the emails he received would allow him to log into the former accountholder's Pandora and Facebook accounts. He also knew the user's name, address, phone number, the last four digits of the user's social security number and where the user's child goes to school.

The other Yahoo users reported similar experiences: They received email receipts from Nordstrom, timecards that detailed mileage reimbursements, airline confirmations and an apartment application confirmation.

There should be no one surprised by this. It is a side effect of how the email system works on a fundamental level.

The proper way to handle abandoned accounts would be to simply close it, delete old data, and not allow the username to be used again.

Adam

• Like 1