Pentax sd card problem.

abarbarian

Hi I just bought a K-30 and it is my first DSLR. I am pretty impressed with the camera.

However I have a problem.

I have four different types of SDHC cards all new Class 10 8/16/4 GB.

I have used Linux and Windows 7.

I have two old card readers both work with SDHC and a new one I just bought.

I have the original Pentax battery, a aftermarket battery, the AA holder with new batteries and some old good quality batteries.

This problem occurred with the Firmware V 1.0 that was on the camera when I got it and after I have upgraded the Firmware to V 1.04.

All the above work perfectly with other SDHC cards I have containing mainly Raspberry Pi images or just files and folders.

My problem is,

I place the sd card in the camera. I have tried formatting on the pc and in the camera (I get the same results).

I take some pictures.

I take the sd card and put it in a reader and view the files on the pc. I have also connected the camera to the pc directly(I get the same results)

I either leave the files on the sd card or copy or move them to the pc (I get the same results)

I take out the sd card from the reader and place it back in the camera.

I take some more pictures.

I put the card in the reader and I get -- see screenshots.

nftLmfnl.jpg

gr8AVgYl.jpg

dPwXfMkl.jpg

6ZHYXTFl.jpg

g5KCs5nl.jpg

In linux I can not read the card and I get a message telling me that I have the wrong file type.

In Windows 7 I see variations of the above. I can not delete any of the files or folders and I can not read any of the files.

When I put the card back in the camera the camera tells me that the card needs formatting.

Do I have a faulty camera ?

Thanks in anticipation of some replies. cool.png

Faulty camera would be my first guess. Tough luck.

Lots of cameras use SD cards -- maybe you can find someone who will try your card in their camera.

Faulty camera would be my first guess. Tough luck.

Lots of cameras use SD cards -- maybe you can find someone who will try your card in their camera.

I have tried 4 different cards. They all have the same problem with the Pentax. If I format them and use them as storage they work just fine.

I think the camera must be faulty. I can not believe that you have to reformat the card every time you take it out of the camera, that is just plain madness.

:angry2:

I can not believe that you have to reformat the card every time you take it out of the camera,
No, you should not have to.

I owned 3 digital cameras (not DSLR, just basic point and shoot) an HP, a Canon and a Nikon. I started with the HP and connected it directly to the computer. After a Windows update broke something, I always removed the card and put it either into an internal card slot on the computer (XP) or an external reader (2K, XP, 7, and maybe linux). I've never seen that message.

One other thought, none of my cards are class 10, nor SDHC. In fact the old HP, says in the manual it can take up to 128MB! I had to contact support because I could no longer find any cards that small. It can take up to 256MB so I have two cards for it.

Can you try a lower class card and see if it makes a difference?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Here http://www.pentaxforums.com/pages/recommended-gear.html#accessories

they recommend a SanDisk 16GB and class 6 is shown.

No, you should not have to.

I owned 3 digital cameras (not DSLR, just basic point and shoot) an HP, a Canon and a Nikon. I started with the HP and connected it directly to the computer. After a Windows update broke something, I always removed the card and put it either into an internal card slot on the computer (XP) or an external reader (2K, XP, 7, and maybe linux). I've never seen that message.

One other thought, none of my cards are class 10, nor SDHC. In fact the old HP, says in the manual it can take up to 128MB! I had to contact support because I could no longer find any cards that small. It can take up to 256MB so I have two cards for it.

Can you try a lower class card and see if it makes a difference?

http://en.wikipedia..../Secure_Digital

Here http://www.pentaxfor...tml#accessories

they recommend a SanDisk 16GB and class 6 is shown.

Hi thanks for the reply zim. According to what I have read over at the Pentax forums my cards should work just fine. Class ten is pretty much standard for SDLR cameras these days. I have tried with a Class4 and get the same result.

I too have never had a problem with My Cannon camera but it uses flash.

Well I have just been digging at two Pentax forums and come across posts that say folk are popping sd cards in and out of the cmaera and the pc with no problems and no need to format every time.

Which is what I figured should happen.

So it looks like I have a faulty camera.

I am not a happy bunny.

:breakfast:

The class ten only refers to the speed which the card reads and writes files, nothing more.

Adam

Thanks I did realise that. Mind you I am not sure about anything anymore. I'm well hacked off. :angry2:

Hello,

That looks like a corrupted directory entry table on the SD Cards' filesystems.

Have you tried reapplying the firmware to the camera? Maybe going back to the v1.0 and seeing if that makes any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Problem sorted I think.

Seems that after all my protestations about all me kit being tikety boo. It was not.

I had a intermittently faulty usb port on my monitor. It worked ok when I did a test run but I must have caught it just right for it to seem ok. Obviously it was throwing wobblies in future tests as today it has died and there is not a glimmer of life in it.

All other ports work fine and now the sd cards are behaving as they should.

Seems I need to work on my testing methodology.

I feel such a fool. Happy but foolish.

Nowt new there then.

:shifty:

Thanks for the help folks.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd have never suspected a wonky USB port on a monitor to create such havoc!

Oh I don't think it was the port causing havoc. Just the usual daily routine of a barbarian and the refusal to switch to civilised mode that created the havoc. :whistling:

The upside of all of this is I got quite familiar with the camera controls. Also talking to the supplier it seems that I am eligible for a £60 cashback from Pentax as the supplier is an official Pentax dealer. I had thought they were not as they did not show up on the Pentax site. Seems they are classed as an independant and thus do not appear on the official Pentax listings. So whoopeee. :clap:

Edited by abarbarian