Switch to Linux

bjf123

The IT people at my office (there are two of them) really don't like Microsoft. They recently installed RedHat on an old PC here, and are planning to evaluate if it would be possible to replace Windows on all of our PCs with Linux. It could be just at the corporate office, where I am, or company wide. Here, we have about 10 PCs. Company wide, we probably have something less than 50. They're mostly running Win95 or 98. A few have Win Me, with a few more having 2000 or XP Home (yes, Home). The Linux system also has Open Office 1.01 installed. Currently, we use various versions of Word and Excel. Our setup is such that we don't have any file servers in any locations. All systems are standalone PCs, though they all connect to our RISC 6000 box that runs our business software (accounting, payroll, inventory, billing, etc.).Since there's another thread here talking about using Linux on the desktop, I thought I'd pass on what we're investigating. As things pop up, I'll let you all know.

As things pop up, I'll let you all know.
Keep us informed ! Alway curious to know how people make the switch. :ph34r: Bruno

As things pop up, I'll let you all know.
Keep us informed ! Alway curious to know how people make the switch. ;) Bruno
bjf123, best of luck on the switch. ;) Bruno, nice avatar. :ph34r:

Here's the frist little "glitch" we've come across. We wanted to do some testing of some Excel documents and an export from our RISC 6000 box that I import into Excel. I copied the files to a floppy to take to the Linux box. When we started Open Office, and tried to open the files on the floppy, the floppy drive wasn't there. It took awhile to figure out we had to right click on the desktop, choose Mount, and then Floppy Drive. That's not exactly intuitive to the average Windows user. Once we got that working, the files transferred and opened with no problems.

I know RedHat has no automount yet, it will come soon though. Mandrake is struggling with it and the previous version was a bit buggy. But as I uderstand they have got it mastered now, and it is said to be rocksolid. It won't be long or RedHat will have it too. :lol: Bruno

henderrob

I've been trying Mandrake 9.1 for a while and have had no problems with it automatically mounting my DVD, CDRW, Zip 100, or floppy. It's KDE desktop is pretty good compared to Win98 or XP. No, I'm not employed by Mandrake.

I know RedHat has no automount yet, it will come soon though.
Actually, CDs are automounted in GNOME since Red Hat 8.0.