Don't buy HP

lewmur

Wondering if HP may have had problems with their economy laptops because they used AMD chips which in the past tended to be a bit hotter in service. I have a Champlain quad core in a Dell from 2011, and it tends to run around 60 degrees C before the fan cuts in.

Things are a lot better now with the latest APUs. My A8 desktop runs very cool even with the stock cooler in place. Mind you I have a couple of high airflow fans blowing lots of cool air through the case.

Guest LilBambi

Hard to say, but I do know that I would prefer to have an Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 system for a laptop as they run cooler.

All this crap with with HP not being mindful of these issues all came to a head in July 2013 as noted here in Mercury News:

Hewlett-Packard's (HPQ) reign as the world's largest manufacturer of personal computers came to an end in the second quarter of 2013, two analysis firms independently reported Wednesday.

Tracking firms IDC and Gartner released their preliminary quarterly results for the PC industry, and both analyses showed that Chinese PC manufacturer Lenovo shipped more computers in the recently completed three-month period than HP, which has held the crown as the largest PC maker since at least 2006. Both reports showed Lenovo's shipments outpacing HP's by more than 200,000 units, and they tracked roughly 12.4 million shipments in the quarter. HP's year-over-year decline was greater in IDC's report, which showed a 7.7 percent decrease; Gartner reported a 4.8 percent loss.

Having said that. Dell went through similar stuff when they lost their crown as the top dog in computer manufacturers. It seems that switching places with each other in quality and subsequently sales is not restricted to hard drive manufactures.

And at that time, due to many things including wonderful customer service, Lenovo took over that top slot.

Guest LilBambi

If you look at the unit sales (also in that article), it was amazing how much of a drop in sales happened in 2013. Sure that has a lot of do with Windows 8...

Interesting - although a "decline" was evident sales in 2013 were still nearly 5X that of 1996. Look at the run up to Y2K as well. I remember that one.

HP for sure, but they merged with Compaq. Acer came out of nowhere, but they acquired Gateway and eMachines. Lots of growth by acquisition.

Thinking about my own purchases over the last 10 years:

• Up to 2008 I still had my old Dell Dimension 4100.
  • In early 2008 bought a custom built clone to run Linux.
  • In late 2008 replaced the 4100 with a used Dell Optiplex GX620.
  • In 2009 got an Acer netbook.
  • In 2011 got a Dell Inspiron 15.6 inch laptop.
  • In 2012 replaced the Dell Optiplex with an Acer Veriton M commercial grade desktop.
  • In 2012 bought an Android Nexus 7 tablet.
  • In 2013 built a custom machine myself to run Linux and replace the 2008 clone.

All of these machines are still around here. The Dell laptop, the Acer desktop and the new custom built get the bulk of the use. The tablet is mostly for the grandkids. The notable thing is - no HP.

Edited by raymac46