VLC misleading description

since there is no forum to cross operating systems software, i am putting this here

I was very disappointed with VLC 2.0.5. It was slow and buggy. In fact , i even uninstalled it from my pc's and put 2.0.4 back on my desktops and 2.0.3 on the netbooks. Plus, i complained to the VLC people - the first time in many years I voiced complaints to a freebie programming organization.

The other day, VLC came out with 2.0.6 , which they described as a minor update with tiny tweaks and the such.

What utter baloney. :wacko:

:unsure:

:dry:

:closedeyes:

this version is a

:clap: MAJOR improvement update :clap2:. i installed on a atom 10" netbook and it was able to play an HQ wmv file over the network! Performance is tons better, interface responds much smoother, clicking 'pause' button actually pauses the video right away, no false colors, no crazy rectangles popping through, etc. etc.

Go and get it!

I guess I'll have to check what version I run. I suspect it is different on all the computers. On one computer, I have the portable version sitting on the desktop because I didn't want to install it.

I guess I'll have to check what version I run. I suspect it is different on all the computers. On one computer, I have the portable version sitting on the desktop because I didn't want to install it.

2.0.6 portable

Way ahead of you crp. I downloaded both versions as soon as I posted last night. I went through 6 different windows partitions on 5 computers and brought all of them up to the current version. One computer was running 1.1.5 portable and another 1.1.11 installed so clearly I had not checked them in a long time!

what's so great about xt-7?

I found it very easy to set up to my taste and it does just what I want an it loads dead quick an has very good colour playback etc. I just find it a tad neater than VLC. :shifty:

securitybreach

xt-7 is too bloated looking for my tastes. It kind of remind me of Totem.

I prefer using mplayer and sometimes I use vlc (minimal mode where everything is hidden but the video).

V.T. Eric Layton

AmaroK was always my fav, till I got away from KDE. Now that I'm back, though, I can't get the darned thing to work, so for me it's usually vlc or XMMS. I have Audacious, too, just in case. Mplayer for within browser use. Totem? Blech! Haven't used that since my Ubuntu daze.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I much prefer straight up players. I don't want or need all the library stuff to play a file or playlist. I even disable all that crap in Winamp and use the older 'modern' skin with none of the frills.

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! WinAmp. I had forgotten all about that one. It was my favorite back when I was running strictly Windoze.

I much prefer straight up players. I don't want or need all the library stuff to play a file or playlist. I even disable all that crap in Winamp and use the older 'modern' skin with none of the frills.

You might like Parole player then,

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/01/parole-lightweight-media-player-for.html

With low resource usage and being very simple, Parole really deserves a test-run at least.

Parole Media Player also comes with a few basic plugins:

• System tray icon, minimize Parole to the system tray.

• Stream Properties plugin, change stream meta data.

• Window title, Set parole window title to the current playing stream.

• Power Manager, prevents the power manager from activating the automatic sleep while playing VCD and DVD.

An for music I use gogglesmm,

http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm/

Articles and Reviews

"Keeping it simple is probably GMM's biggest selling point" - Andy Hudson in Linux Format Issue 123, October 2009

Scratching that itch: Sander Jansen - Joe Barr on Linux.com / Newsforge- June 2006

"Goggles is my candidate for a lightweight music player" - Bruce Byfield on Linux Magazine Blog

Articles and Reviews

"Keeping it simple is probably GMM's biggest selling point" - Andy Hudson in Linux Format Issue 123, October 2009

Scratching that itch: Sander Jansen - Joe Barr on Linux.com / Newsforge- June 2006

"Goggles is my candidate for a lightweight music player" - Bruce Byfield on Linux Magazine Blog

:shifty:

I've been using Clementine, because I was having issues with Amarok. I use VLC for Video always though. Isn't Winamp based on Xmms?

Same here, VLC for video, Clementine for audio ( and DeadBeef and QMMP). Never noticed any problem with VLC; currently v.2.0.6 but don't know if I ever had 2.0.5. Never had Amarok problems either but I just haven't got around to installing it on my current setup.

I think XMMS was built to resemble Winamp.

QMMP has a similar interface as well. Great on KDE as it's built with Qt.

foobar2000 is my favourite audio player in Windows. Not open source but it uses some open source components such as ffmpeg. It has the best equalizer of any player on any platform and Reply Gain support, both essentials for me.

DeadBeef is close to it in Linux though.

VLC is the shiznit for video, plays almost anything. It's a pretty good audio player too.

... and spider (audio) for windows

ps

its open source & open source based

Good choice. I use it too. Though it has an annoying pop up (something about latest version I think) when it opens up that I can not get rid of. B)

yes, that it does. but a good player based on some great codecs (if i'm using the proper word.)

If you listen to radio streams with spider you can record the radio stream and it will record each track individually and save them. Which may or may not be very useful. :breakfast:

securitybreach

Nope just use Zoom on Windows use xt-7 on linux. :blissysmile:

I thought you were saying that my vlc link above was for windows only.

Handy to know. Though I use Zoom player on Windows.