MS Office 2013 and MS Office 365

Guest LilBambi

Office News - Office 2013 now transferable:

Updated transferability provision to the Retail License Terms of the Software License Agreement for Microsoft Office 2013 Desktop Application Software:

Can I transfer the software to another computer or user? You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner). If you transfer the software to another computer, that other computer becomes the "licensed computer." You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and B) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement before the transfer. Any time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer and you may not retain any copies.

Via Ed Bott at Microsoft restores transfer rights for retail Office 2013 copies | ZDNet:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Excellent!!!!

So what Retail Licenses are included:

Office Home and Student 2013

Office Home and Business 2013

Office Professional 2013

and the standalone Office 2013 applications

Excellent! Wise move to listen to their customers.

I posted about this this morning too here and it includes the link to the Office News Blog posting.

• 1 month later...

No, you are not being charged. Microsoft Web Apps are free. However, only the four applications are available, not the full Microsoft Office suite of programs and not the enhancements for extended file support or touch. For basic needs, the basic four (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote) may be sufficient. However, for families (5 PCs or Macs plus mobile) or a person who needs more than that, Office 365 for Home includes Outlook, Publisher, Access, 20G for SkyDrive, 60 minutes of Skype credit/month.

um, skype? is skype no longer free?

the basic Skype of chatting (text or free) is free but if you want to make phone calls ...

There are also some 'advanced' features which require payments of some type.

I use MS 2010. I assume that if this system died I could transfer it to a new computer? It was the Student edition, and I have put it on three computers.

In the past I have tried Open Office, but did not like it as well as Office, and at the price of the Student edition I had rather buy it.

However, this latest policy puts it in a new light.

I am not familiar wit Libre. I could go to OO if necessary. I understand it is Apache now.

I never do anything else with Word except make Word documents. I never make an Excell document. However, can OO or Libre read MS Excell?

I think I will download one or the other, OO or Libre, and assume there would be no conflict with anything MS.

What are most of you here using?

Thanks for the help I ALWAYS receive.

Jerry

Hi, Jerry.

Look back at the chart on page 1 of this thread (MS Office 2013 and MS Office 365). Since you indicated you have Office Home and Student installed on three computers, that means you have the FPP version and it is transferable. You will need to uninstall it from the old computer and, because the license would have been validated three times, you may need to telephone to activate the license on the new computer.

• Like 1

Libre Office is better than OO. Why? When Oracle bought OO from Sun, they decided to charge for OO. All the developers left and started Libre Office. I'm sure OO has developers but the experienced developers are working for/on Libre Office.

i think oo is dying or dead. libre office has a marginally better interface and ui graphics, also is being developed.

OK, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Jerry

i think oo is dying or dead. libre office has a marginally better interface and ui graphics, also is being developed.

For the Impress program (PowerPoint type program) a major overhaul was done with presenter view for dual screened PCs. It is now much more functional when running a slideshow.

Adam

• 6 months later...
Guest LilBambi

Yes, but that's not really the point. It's the move to rentware that's killing this country.

Just hook up the IV and get a constant influx of smaller payments that never stops. And it's now everyone who wants a piece of that A Dollar Down and a Dollar a Week philosophy that will suck us dry.

Sixteen Tons all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0

A Dollar Down and a Dollar a Week

Spoken:

Throughout history, mankind has [been] plagued with triangles. There's the eternal triangle, the isosoles triangle, However,

This song is about a friend of mine who bought an automobile

A dollar down and a dollar a week

And every time he turned the wheel

He got a credit card for the new machine

And he kept it full of gasoline

CHORUS:

Just a dollar down

And a dollar a week

You can get all the things you seek

For a dollar down and a dollar a week

Well he went speeding on down the road

And kissing his gal upon her cheek

They took him to jail

but he put up bail

The judge did fine him fifty bucks

And asked if he would like to speak

He said "Judge if I may,

I'd like to pay"

CHORUS

When he got out, he married that gal

He bought a wedding ring that was pretty cheap

Refrigerator, and washing machine

And the food stayed cold and the clothes stayed clean

CHORUS

They got themselves a little home

With a second mortgage and a pretty good loan

He said to his wife, "It's a pretty good life"

And she said, "Honey, we don't need much money."

CHORUS

But six little kids did soon arrive

He had so many worries that he could not sleep

As their debts began to mount

They added them up upon a sheet

They said with tears "Will take a thousand years at a

Dollar down and a dollar a week"

CHORUS

http://youtu.be/OPXUP8xr5nA

Edited by LilBambi

Yes, but that's not really the point. It's the move to rentware that's killing this country.

That's Office 365 that you are thinking of. I believe the web apps are free.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Ah, yes, it is Office 360 and so many others I was talking about.

Sorry Corrine, I didn't mean to rant about something different than what you were talking about.

I think it is great that the Web Apps are free as they are for Apple and Google. That's all good.