2012 LinuxQuestions.org Member Choice Awards

V.T. Eric Layton

Okay, I took a look at the votes breakdown for the Desktop Distribution of the Year: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2012-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-104/desktop-distribution-of-the-year-4175441843/page15.html

I don't use PCLinuxOS these days, but... only 6 votes? Makes it hard for me to take this thing too seriously. Plus, tons of Slackware users at linuxquestions.org, right? I mean, go to DistroWatch's Slackware page and look under "User Forums" and you see "LinuxQuestions.org."

V.T. Eric Layton

Okay, I took a look at the votes breakdown for the Desktop Distribution of the Year: http://www.linuxques...843/page15.html

I don't use PCLinuxOS these days, but... only 6 votes? Makes it hard for me to take this thing too seriously. Plus, tons of Slackware users at linuxquestions.org, right? I mean, go to DistroWatch's Slackware page and look under "User Forums" and you see "LinuxQuestions.org."

So, what's your point, bub?

Just funnin' with you, saturnian! ;)

The reliability of survey data may depend on the following:

• Respondents' motivation, honesty, memory, and ability to respond:
    • Respondents may not be motivated to give accurate answers.
    • Respondents may be motivated to give answers that present themselves in a favorable light.
    • Respondents may not be fully aware of their reasons for any given action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_methodology

Surveys and statistics are tools of the devil and con men politicians :devil:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Both of which are beaten by Debian. :P Also I noticed that siduction is now somewhat higher than aptosid.

I just had an interesting browse down the bottom of the list. Lots of unheard of distros there.

I was just pointing out that DistroWatch rankings are not that reliable either considering they just count page hits. ;) B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Both of which are beaten by Debian. :P Also I noticed that siduction is now somewhat higher than aptosid.

I just had an interesting browse down the bottom of the list. Lots of unheard of distros there.

There are some relative unknowns down toward the bottom of that list. I kinda' like this one:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=draco

I'd give it a go if there was a 64 bit version.

I was just pointing out that DistroWatch rankings are not that reliable either considering they just count page hits. ;) B)

My comment was firmly tongue-in cheek. I don't believe page hit rankings are a very accurate indicator of popularity, although they are a good inaccurate indicator. :)

There is always VirtualBox.......

Mmmm, VBox good. :thumbsup: B)

• Like 1

securitybreach

My comment was firmly tongue-in cheek. I don't believe page hit rankings are a very accurate indicator of popularity, although they are a good inaccurate indicator. :)

Yeah, I know. I was teasing you as well since we all know that Distrowatch ratings are a bit misleading. For instance: this rating does not include the amount of users downloading a distro, the amount of registered users at the official site, the amount of people upgrading etc.

That said, it does show how many users are looking for alternatives and have visited the various distro's section on Distrowatch.

While the rating does not show the amount of downloads or their user base, it does show how popular the distros are on one of the largest websites for information on all distros. Do not get me wrong, I have been visiting Distrowatch frequently since I first started with linux back in 03. It is an extremely valuable resource for Linux as a whole and I do value the ratings. :thumbsup: