Aaron Swartz - Sadness

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I find this to be a sad and terrible waste. :(

US hounds "hacker" Aaron Swartz to death

Justice department has much to answer for

The Land of the Free, which is famous for hounding people to death, has yet more blood on its hands after web prodigy Aaron Swartz killed himself under the weight of bogus court actions.

Desperate to prove to Hollywood that its lobbying dollars have paid off, the US government has been carrying out a campaign against people it identifies as hackers.

Evidence, or even a crime is not necessary, all that is required is to play the legal system until the "hacker" folds and accepts a "deal" and time inside for a crime he or she did not commit.

more

oh please. vast assumptions are being made and almost not a one of those blaming the Dept-of-Justice is even considering that there was much more going on and concerning the DoJ than simply dl'ing more stuff than normal from MIT. I do give credit to one of those who at least wondered why A.S. was having so much trouble finding a lawyer who would do it pro-bono (ACLU or what/who-ever).

Depression is rarely simple as to its causes or effects. For others to assign simplicity to suicides is idiotic.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I agree that the causation hyped in the headline is pure hooey. He made the decision to end his life all on his own. The reason I think it's sad, though, is because it was such a waste of talent and life. I'm sure that there may be valid reasons to commit suicide. That is a personal decision, though. For me, being harassed by the Justice Dept. wouldn't be a good enough reason, but that's just me. For this young man, it may have been too much to deal with. Don't know... I wasn't walking in his shoes.

Guest LilBambi

I also was so saddened by this terrible situation. Having our own government go after Aaron Swartz even when MIT sorted out the situation would tax anyone's depression.

Here's my posting about this: The Truth about Aaron Swartz by Unhandled.com - BambisMusings blog

One of the very talented young Aaron Swartz once said:

When there’s a problem, you shouldn’t get angry with the gears—you should fix the machine.

~ Aaron Swartz (via Aaron Greenspan)

Edited by LilBambi