Routers, networks & LANs

siebkens

I decided to make the leap from XP networking & ICS to a router - a Gigafast Ethernet router. After putting in the router, I can connect to the internet using my slow modem connection from my main computer (independent of router). No LAN or WAN network connections. <sigh> I'll just have to poke at it to see what I can find. Mostly looking for sympathy. :blink:

Um,Hate to be the bearer of bad news, Sieb, but an Ethernet router won't replace ICS that easily if you have dialup. What you've done is replaced your hub/switch with another switch, a.k.a. your bright, shiny new Gigafast Ethernet router. You'd still have to use ICS in order to share the dialup connection. Ethernet routers share cable/DSL connections because you plug the cable/DSL connection directly into the router. You have my sympathies of course. :blink:

Well, it's kind of an odd situation. I have a wireless to cell tower internet connection (which is still in beta) which came into my computer through a 2nd ethernet card (1st ethernet card is my LAN - Fast connection is now connected to the router instead of 2nd ethernet card). Sometimes the fast connection works & sometimes it doesn't. Meanwhile, I still use dial-up when necessary.I was hoping to make my dial-up connection or fast connection available to my remote computer, depending on whether my fast connection was working at the time or not. Currently, using ICS, I have to switch which connection is shared, depending on whether the fast connection is working. My computers DON'T like switching back & forth - it kind of confuses them & then nothing works.But, I put in the router & even my LAN isn't talking. :blink:

siebs contact the wireless service provider and see if they have an external DSL modem option instead of the internal 2nd NIC. Then you can configure your network thusly. I gather your router doesn't provide for an external modem connection. Bummer. :blink:

siebsI gather your router doesn't provide for an external modem connection.  Bummer.  :D
You can find SMC Barricade 7004 on ebay.com for $20-$30. It has a serial port and IMHO it one of the best Wired Entry Level Routers ever made. :blink:

I'm not sure what my Siemen's SpeedStream goes for nowdays, I didn't pay much for it when I got it, but it has a modem server and print server built in. Neither was which I was expecting, I was just happy to upgrade to a 100Mbps switch from a 10Mbps hub. :blink: I've used the print server since I got it but never a need for the modem service component.

I'm not sure what my Siemen's SpeedStream goes for nowdays, I didn't pay much for it when I got it, but it has a modem server and print server built in.  Neither was which I was expecting, I was just happy to upgrade to a 100Mbps switch from a 10Mbps hub.  :D    I've used the print server since I got it but never a need for the modem service component.
Very few of the Current Cable/DSL Router has Printer server, and none comes with a serial port. (BTW the current Printer Server are Switched form parallel to USB).The old Barricade and the SpeedStream both has Serial Port, Printer server, and a good flexible SPI Firewall.They are discontinued Models so every time I need one it is a real “Hunt†to get it.Both go for $15 - $30.I have both, but I prefer the Barricade since SMC is still strong in the Network business while Siemens backed out. o:)

My fast connection is an external ethernet modem, but I have it plugged into a 2nd NIC card on my computer. Sorry for the confusion. I also have my dial-up for backup.

siebsI gather your router doesn't provide for an external modem connection.  Bummer. :)
o:)
Yes, my router does have an external modem connection, but when I plugged everything in, neither my LAN nor my WAN worked. Back to ICS! :D

Siebkens, no offense you seem to be a Nice guy. o:) But on this issue it seems that you prefer to Hitch a Horse to your Car instead of making the car’s engine running. :D

The tower close to my house is being built now (for fast internet connection) - should be done within a month or two. I'm just out of range of the initial tower. When it's done, I'll get serious about this router stuff again - I shouldn't need to depend on dial-up anymore. Yay!! o:)

nlinecomputers
This is the high-speed that I am waiting for - Navini.DSL got here a few months ago, but I think Navini will be worth the wait! :D
If you have the option to go DSL I'd do that. NO wireless connection is a good as a wired connection. Don't let the propaganda that a wireless company will try to push you fool you. I live in West Texas and deal with many customers that have wireless connections. If you can get the equipment properly installed and weather conditions don't mess it up you can get almost the speed of an DSL line. Most of the time it falls far short and if your doing anything that needs a consistent connection like gaming or database access then forget it. Those wireless lines have constant brief signal drops that basic web surfing or email will not see but games and DB use or VPN connects WILL be hurt by. Often they consider it a drop of connection and you are forced to constantly relogon on.

Thanks Nathan- I'll keep that in mind.I don't really have anything to lose by trying this - no installation fees & I can stay with my current ISP. Had good luck with the connection when it works & have never had to relog on. I'm about 3 miles out of range (13 or so miles from tower), but I'm hearing that folks who are closer are not having any problems. If I choose DSL, have to change providers, get equipment, etc. Speeds were generally 800kbps - 1.2Mbps (hope I got those units right).-----The keeping my fingers crossed Sieb! :D