Lightweight Browsers?

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

I just installed midori over at Betty's- but *not* on the machine in question, on her insanely slow old Gateway, instead. So yeah, after updating Synaptic on her Ubuntu 10 machine, I easily found and installed midori. Just to see and remember how it plays. (I haven't been into any OS that runs midori lately)

OTOH I have no idea if midori was ever put into the obsolete Dapper repos or not. I'll find out, though not tonight. Going home. I'm beat. Leaving my Dapper box here. I'll work on it maybe tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet

OK, I got this done, as described in the article. It went fine. Thanks, Josh! Where it left me is with midori still not showing up in the old-dapper repos. So I poked around a little in Synaptic after searching "browser" and came up with several. In particular, the one called Epiphany seems to work well on this platform. In its Help menu it says it is actually Gnome Web Browser 2.14.3. It's certainly old work, seems to be from around 2004, looks like. I'm using Epiphany right now. Will play with it a while. BTW I also installed Galeon but it seems to have some problem, as it crashed shortly after I launched it and tried to use it. Oh BTW I also successfully installed some old copy of Dillo. That one doesn't show up under Applications/Internet but it can be launched from Terminal and seems to play reasonably well. So I'll drag this box home again and see what usability I'm getting under dialup. Bbl...Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1