Shared folder remarks

Ed_P

Under Windows 98 devices and folders set as Shared could be assigned names and remarks. Under Windows XP I don't see a way to assign remarks to shared entities only names. However, folders and devices that were shared with remarks under Windows98 retain those remarks if the system is upgraded to Windows XP. Anyone know of a way to assign remarks to shared folders under WinXP? A Search of my hd for the old remarks show them as being in a c:\windows\system.rsc file but a seach on Google for system.rsc didn't help.I know how to assign remarks to shared directories using the NET SHARE command under DOS but that doesn't help with XP.

Isn't the comment field here where you put remarks?Link
No. This is all I get.However, I have found a way to add the remarks. :D B) If I bring up the CMD window and use the DOS NET SHARE command I can add remarks to my shared entities. And they hold across reboots! :) I don't know where they are stored :) the system.rsc file still has an old date but they are definitely there. :) :)

nlinecomputers

Turn off simple file sharing then you'll get the prompts you expect under the share tab.In an explorer window click on tools/folder options/view(tab) and then scroll to the bottom of the list an uncheck "Use simple file sharing" :)

In an explorer window click on tools/folder options/view(tab) and then scroll to the bottom of the list an uncheck "Use simple file sharing"
Thanks Nathan but it's not an option on my list.

Yes I am and no I'm not. :) Yes I'm running XP Home, but as I noted earlier I found a way to update the remarks of shared folders. :) It's not pretty or classy but it meets the main requirement, it works. :DWould you happen to know where these network setting are saved? Just curious.