Copyright Infringement, Piracy and Fresh Eyes

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi
NYTimes article* Report Raises Questions About Fighting Online Piracy* Please note NYTimes requires free registration
The entertainment industry's pursuit of tough new laws to protect copyrighted materials from online piracy is bad for business and for the economy, according to a report being released today by the Committee for Economic Development, a Washington policy group that has its roots in the business world.Record companies and movie and television studios have fought copyright infringement on many fronts, hoping to find ways to prevent their products from being distributed free on the Internet. But critics warn that many of the new restrictions that the entertainment industry proposes - like enforcing technological requirements for digital television programming that would prevent it from being transmitted online - would upset the balance between the rights of the content creators and the rights of the public."We are sympathetic to the problems confronting the content distribution industry," said the report, "Promoting Innovation and Economic Growth: The Special Problem of Digital Intellectual Property." "But these problems - perfect copies of high-value digital works being transmitted instantly around the world at almost no cost - require clear, concentrated thinking, rather than quick legislative or regulatory action."Until recently, those who opposed strong copyright protections have been characterized by the entertainment industry as a leftist fringe with no respect for the value of intellectual property.
Of course, page 2 shoots it all down ... but at least it got said at all. Maybe others will pick it up and it will get better coverage views. The only thing I am not thrilled with is their support of some DRM as long as it doesn't cause too much trouble for consumers. Allowing making backup copies of your owned DVDs and CDs would be very important here. Edited by LilBambi

linuxdude32

Interesting article, Fran. :'( I saw a Norah Jones CD and wanted to buy it. I love her voice and think she's cute, too B) But alas, I looked on the back and saw it was copy protected probably meaning it wouldn't play in a PC. No point then, we don't a stereo system and besides, I'd prefer to rip the CD to ogg or mp3 format for portability.