Shut down or leave it running

rolanaj

I know this is a question that people debate a lot, the reason I'm asking is right now my computer takes three to four tries before it successfully boots. The first time I get the bouncing square telling me my monitor is working and I should check my cables. I hit reboot and this time it will get to lilo and then start to boot either windows or linux and freeze. Reboot again, it will either get a little farther and freeze or it will load and work fine. Fourth time is generally successful. My question is will it hurt anything to leave it on or is it hurting anything to have to reboot so many times to get it to load up.

Since you have a Windows\Linux dual-boot system, there may be something wrong with the boot manager that is making it difficult for the computer to boot.If you aren't using a third-party boot manager, then perhaps using one might fix the problem.Try using "boot manager" + windows + linux as the search phrase in Google to find one.Otherwise, I would install a new hard drive and install only Windows on it, to find out if that fixes the problem. You can then transfer files to the new drive and use the old one as a backup drive, or clone the system to it with the free XXCopy from http://www.xxcopy.com.Eric,http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

nlinecomputers

Eric,We've been through this with her system before on another thread. I'm convinced she has a bad power suppy or a bad motherboard. As that thread had gone quite I assumed she had replaced the PS. rolanaj, If I were you I'd leave the system running all the time. The most stressfull thing for a computer is the bootup and shutdown process. Heat changes causes parts to expand and contract which in turn causes wear and tear on said parts. OTOH running 24/7 will increase your electric bill as well. Over time the savings could buy you a new computer depending on how much electricity it consumes. But with the trouble your having and the stress a powerup/down causes I would try to avoid that if possible as you may try to power up one day and finally kill it for good.

Thanks nline that is exactly what I was wondering, I havent been able to replace the power supply yet but hope to in the near furture.Eric, I have been dual booting for quite awhile now and havent had this problem until recently.

I would agree with the power supply theory. I bought a case from eBay and it did the same thing you describe. It was about a month before it failed for good. A power supply should cost less than one months electric bill. Don't buy it on eBay. That is something I would definitely get from a trusted source. I bought my replacement at Best Buy. After opening the box I realized the internal fan was hanging loose and I took it back to get a third one.

Go for the power supply. I don't know why anyone would recommend dumping Linux. If you want to do a single boot then go for the Linux. :unsure: Nor do I see a reason for a separate boot manager. For what it is worth, the only time I turn off my computer is if I am leaving town or if I am rebooting into a different distro! Mine is usually on 24/7. When I talked to my DSL provider once they wanted to know if I was aware I had a connection for 16 days. ;) I do turn off my flat panel monitor when I am not using it though.Julia B)

I do turn off my flat panel monitor when I am not using it though.
Why? Did you do the same for CRT monitors? A CRT monitor generates heat, even in a powered down state, so turning it off saves electricity, A/C load, etc. But a LCD monitor doesn't have that problem, so I'm curious as to why you do that?BTW I turn everything off when I go to bed except for the cable modem and routers, via the power strip, and back on when I 1st get on the pc the following day. I feel there's less chance of a power spike getting to my equipment with a 1/4" gap of air in between. While the spike would have to get thru a UPS and 2 surge protectors I feel safer flipping the switch. And I save some small amt of electricity to boot.

Our tech folks at school say our flat panels are rated in hours of use and that they last longer if turned off when not in use. I have not found a source yet. However, I would rather err on the side of caution and turning them off takes one little button and does not hurt anything so I turn them off both in the classroom and at home.I do have one flat panel that I inherited that is less than two years old and it has burned up the power supply so I am a little leary as well.Julia :)

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya Rolanaj ... here are some pretty good prices on power supplies that might help you get one sooner:http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com/showp...t.asp?c=18&s=18http://www.directron.com/price0.htmlhttp://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=...ower%20SuppliesI don't remember what kind of computer you have or how old, but you will want to be able to identify which type of power supply you have. I have one computer that's a Celeron 366mhz that is still using an AT power supply, although it can also use an ATX power supply because it has both on the motherboard.ATX - power supply has a single plug (usually kinda translucent) to the motherboard power socket.AT - power supply has a two piece plug (narrower than the ATX plug and solid white), connecting to the motherboard end to end in the motherboard power socket.Here's something to help too:

The power supply is one of the easier components to identify. The best way to identify what type of power supply you have is to shut down your computer. If you go to the Start menu and click on Shut Down, a screen should appear that says, It is now safe to turn off your computer. If you have to press the power button to turn off the machine, then you most likely have what is called an AT power supply. If the screen goes away within a few seconds and the computer shuts down automatically, you most likely have an ATX power supply.An AT power supply can be used in an upgrade to a Super Socket 7 motherboard. It is not compatible with a Pentium II platform. An ATX power supply can be used in an upgrade to a Super Socket 7 or a Pentium II platform. A new ATX power supply will typically run between $15 and $40.
quoted above from here:http://computerservices.olivet.edu/PCSuppo...ort/upgrade.htmIn the meantime, Nathan's plan is a good one. The less you have to boot it the more likely it will last a bit longer. I wouldn't wait for it to go entirely before replacing it though, if at all possible.Hope this helps.

Our tech folks at school say our flat panels are rated in hours of use and that they last longer if turned off when not in use.  I have not found a source yet.  However,  I would rather err on the side of caution and turning them off takes one little button and does not hurt anything so I turn them off both in the classroom and at home.I do have one flat panel that I inherited that is less than two years old and it has burned up the power supply so I am a little leary as well.Julia :)
!!!!!!!!!! Wow!! I wasn't aware of that. Good to know. I will definitely hold off a little longer on getting an LCD monitor.But wouldn't that hours rating apply to the $10,000 LCD TVs too?

SonicDragon
Why? Did you do the same for CRT monitors? A CRT monitor generates heat, even in a powered down state, so turning it off saves electricity, A/C load, etc. But a LCD monitor doesn't have that problem, so I'm curious as to why you do that?
LCDs use electicity to. "Save the juice when not in use" :) :)

nlinecomputers
Our tech folks at school say our flat panels are rated in hours of use and that they last longer if turned off when not in use.  I have not found a source yet.  However,  I would rather err on the side of caution and turning them off takes one little button and does not hurt anything so I turn them off both in the classroom and at home.I do have one flat panel that I inherited that is less than two years old and it has burned up the power supply so I am a little leary as well.Julia :)
What about low power modes? I have an LCD screen that drops to low energy mode after 30 minutes. It stil has some electrical power in it but it is mostly offline.

LilBambi thanks for the info, I was kind of waiting as I expected it would be fairly expensive. Those prices seem fairly reasonable, I may have to pay a tech to put it in though not sure I want to try playing with a power supply. From the info you gave I am pretty sure I have an ATX as it shuts itself down.Julia from what you say about LCD screens I am guessing I ought not to leave the laptop on when it isn't being used either. :w00t:

I still have not found any research to give me facts and figures. I like to see it in writing. I just read through the entire disk and could see nothing that addressed this. The only thing I found was a sentence saying to unplug it when not in use for extended periods of time. I will continue to turn the monitor off "to save the juice" and reduce risks of problems. Julia

My question is will it hurt anything to leave it on or is it hurting anything to have to reboot so many times to get it to load up.
nline's post was right on the nose and i agree 100%. Boot up problems such as the one you're describing often involve a weak or a faltering power supply unit.If and when you replace your PS unit, be sure you choose a good quality brand name. Dont' risk the health of your PC by trying to save a few bucks on a cheaper brand. I know that Antec's have an excellent reputation as well as another brand name i can't recall right now. Good luck.

:) Sorry, I had to laugh. Just when everyone agreed that rolanaj should leave the computer on 24/7, LilBambi posts a suggestion that begins with:
The best way to identify what type of power supply you have is to shut down your computer.
:)
Julia from what you say about LCD screens I am guessing I ought not to leave the laptop on when it isn't being used either.
Personally, I always turn the laptop off if I'm not going to be using it for a while, say 30 minutes or more. Not due to the issue Julia raised...I hadn't even thought of that...but because of the poor heat dissipation abilities of many laptops. I don't see melting my components to save a minute or two of boot up time. Then again, I've had the Toshiba on for an entire day several times, and haven't had any heat problems, so maybe I'm being overly cautious.

I think Nathan that "Low power" mode is almost the same as shutting it off.That would be safe way.I have had monitors for years and always use that feature whic is actually default on any system I tried.I always disable all screensavers as they are actually screenwasters :) Jeber, I laughed too and was a bit confused with sudden changes in thread :)

Guest LilBambi

Jeber, LOL! I hear ya ... but it wasn't really off topic since Nathan had brought up the prior discussion on about the power supply issues that were probably causing rolanaj's difficulties - and - if rolanaj could get the power supply replaced, then she could leave it on or turn it off and there wouldn't be as much of an issue either way.:)