Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D.

JackR

Yet another X vs. XQuote:Ad-aware detected 293 objects still present after the Spybot S&D scan. These objects consisted of 78 registry keys, 13 registry values, 195 files and 7 folders. Examining the log file we are able to determine that many of the files found were cookies. Also, many registry keys and values from the infamous BonziBuddy were still present; many Hotbar objects were found too. The objects or problems that Spybot S&D failed to detect were more than twice as many as Ad-aware’s. End of Quote.Link to: Spy vs Spy: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D. :whistling:

Actually that's common. That's why the experts always recomend both be run. When needed I ran Adaware 1st then the SpyBot. And sometimes I even reran the pair to get the last bits of junk.I've don't understand why the 2 programs just don't work together or even combine so that only one is necessary but apparently that's not gonna happen so we are left to run both if we want to be squeaky clean.I suppose if Adaware actually deletes the programs and folders the registry entries SpyBot finds are simply artifacts but nobody likes them including me so ...

nlinecomputers

I use both. From month to month they seem to go back in forth. Right now Ad-aware is more effective but they still both pick up things the other one doesn't. Smart techs use lots of tools. I use both of them. I use Hijackthis, CWShreader, sometimes even Pest Patrol. They all grab things the other does not.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, I update and run them both at least weekly. They both do a great job of getting the nasties out there, but they work best in tandem.I also use SpywareBlaster (thanks again Nathan!) on a weekly basis.Another one to take a look might be: SpywareGuard by the same folks at wilderssecurity.net to go hand in hand with SpywareBlaster's protection.