Sharing in XP Home

RMC

I have a 2 computer network using XP home. Is is setup for file, print and internet sharing. I have both drives shared at the root of the drive. What I want is to be able to share the whole drive, including the windows and program file folders across the network.I know how to do this in XP Pro but I can't figure it out using XP Home.Any Ideas? Thanks

Thanks for the links, From what I have found it looks like there might not be a way to get full drive access across the network. Acording to what i have read it looks like Home was designed this way.There might be a shareware progam out there to what I want but I hate to go that way.Once again thanks for all your help.

there might not be a way to get full drive access across the network.
Good grief!! I share drives, folders and files on XP Home with XP Home, W2K and Win98SE pcs. It's not that hard.My Computer>RIGHT click on the drive you want to share>Sharing and Security>If you understand the risk...>Share this folder on the Network.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, EdP is right ... you can do this, but it is not advisable if the computers are on the Internet as well as the Intranet.Would suggest turning the sharing on and off as needed in that case.

Yes, EdP is right ... you can do this, but it is not advisable if the computers are on the Internet as well as the Intranet.Would suggest turning the sharing on and off as needed in that case.
Or install NetBEUI bind it to File and printer sharing, and unbind TCP/IP.You would not have to worry about sharing you Hard Drive with the WWW since NetBEUI can not pass the Router. :'(

My sharing is always set, the backup drive to read/write the rest to read only. Turning it on and off is impractical. It would be like unplugging the ISP connection unless I wanted to surf the 'net. But some here may do that in their homes/offices.If you have a network you should have a router rather than a hub or direct wired connection. Prices have dropped the past year or so and they are very affordable. That device adds a firewall function to your network. I also run ZA firewall on all the networked pcs and recommend you run one also, whether XPs or some other. And they of course all run antivirus programs as should you also.Bottom line is you can be networked and safe with little effort or inconvenience.BTW NetBEUI is unsupported in XP so I don't recommend that approach.

LOL. :D Karl Popper contribution to the Philosophy of Science involves the notion that there is no 100% probability in Scientific Theories. (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.Probability can very high be 99.99999999% but never 100%.Well, Karl Popper was wrong, every time I mention NetBEUI some one post “NetBEUI is not supported any moreâ€.Till now it is 100% probability.I never understood the functional meaning of this statement. As far as small Networks are concern NetBEUI works very well with WinXP, it is very easy to set up, there are no properties, no settings, and nothing to support.Actually this clip from Microsoft is a bit Humorous.Quote:“You can install NetBEUI in Windows XP, but it is an unsupported protocol. For additional information about installing NetBEUI in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 301041 How to Install NetBEUI on Windows XP .â€End of Quote.In the same paragraph you are told that it is not supported any more, and you have the Hyperlink to "How to install it".On a second thought may be Popper was right, :) if next time there will be no comment the probability will be reduced to 99.9999999%. :) J/K late night humor. :)

It's true they do provide a link on how to install it. But, if it's stated as being unsupported, then there's a possibility that MS will, at any time, release a patch that will interfere with it functioning. I'll let you and Karl determine the probability of that happening. :D But if you're advising a new person to networking do you really want to direct them to something that is not already a part of their OS, is said to be unsupported by the vendor of their OS and may stop working unexpectedly at some point? :) Anyways, that's where I was coming from. We use to run NetBEUI for our whole LAN which consisted of several hundred pcs until corporate took a closer look at us and said are you crazy!!! On a LAN our size there was considerable overhead. We switched to TCP/IP and never looked back. And at home I used NetBEUI with Windows 3.1 and I think even after I got onto the 'net. But over time it got in the way and finally out of the way. :)

Good grief!! I share drives, folders and files on XP Home with XP Home, W2K and Win98SE pcs. It's not that hard.
I KNOW how to share drives, printers, etc. The question was/is how to get access to the PROGRAM FILES in XP Home through a shared network drive.

Guest LilBambi

RMC, when you say access, are you meaning access as in being able to run programs that are installed on say computer1 while you are on computer2 across the network, or access as in being able to look at the files within the program files directory?There is a big difference, especially since most programs these days will not run on another computer across a network. You can access data that might be within the file structure, but the actual programs would need to be installed on each computer so they can make their registry entries on that computer.There are servers that can provide terminal services to diskless workstations, but that doesn't sound like that is what you are talking about either.Could you please clarify? Do you want to access the files in these folders on another computer, or do you want run the programs across the network that are installed on another computer?

I just want to be able to click on the network drive of the other XP computer then be able to "go to" the program files folder. I want to be able to open the program file folder and copy from and send files to the program file folder. No I don't want to run programs from the other computer, I just want access to copy and paste files from one computer to the other.Right now it comes up with access denied.Like I stated before, I know how to do this in XP Pro, by modifying the everyone permission. But I can't figure out how to change this in home. Heck I can't even find it in home. But what I have read it looks like Microsoft has done this on purpose and it's one of the differences between home and pro.Again thanks for every one's help.

Right now it comes up with access denied.
I'll be dipped, right you are. Same with the Windows and WUTemp folders. Not a problem with Documents and Settings though. Interesting. Who knew! :) I have my utilities stored in a folder separate from the Program Files folder, separate from the C: drive even, and I can access them from other pcs on the network. Can the programs you want to access in Program Files be reinstalled to another folder? And would that solve your problem?

Can the programs you want to access in Program Files be reinstalled to another folder?
Yes through a reinstall, then redirect the default folder outside of program files.I just want to be able to access the data on the network drive. It's a text file that I need to place in a Word Doc. I know I could do a save as to the other drive but that computer is not always turned on.I know I could on one computer move them to the root of C:\ then copy them through the newtwork. But that's why I have the network. And going back to the original question.I can do this in XP PRO but I can't in XP Home. But I beleive the MS has, built in or left out, that in XP home. All of you are thinking right now, why not do it all from one computer. Well I can but I would have to reinstall programs, I do have all the software. But that is why I have the network.Now I not going to bash MS. But I didn't have this problem with a Win 98se P2P network. And no it's not worth the time or money to upgrade to XP Pro.I just thought that someone might know of a way to get to the everyone permission or a reg mod to help me out.Again thanks for all the help.

It's a text file that I need to place in a Word Doc.
Well Win XP Home defaults to a shared folder called Shared Documents. Could you put the text file in that folder? It would be on the XP's hard drive and the other networked pcs would have access to it in the Shared Docs folder as well. When you use the XP machine the file could be then converted to Word and the converted file saved back into the Shared Docs folder if desired. Are we getting close? :D
Again thanks for all the help.
Well we try. In fact some of us have been acussed of being "very trying". B)

BTW NetBEUI is unsupported in XP so I don't recommend that approach.
Just because Microsoft XP doesn't "support" a thing does not make it a bad thing. I've been running NetBEUI on my home LAN for years with many OS's and have only run across one problem, and it was another entity's problem (Linksys wifi).In fact, I think that running NB is very appropriate for small networks, regardless of it's support status. I've also read that some (Scot included) run IPX/SPX as their LAN protocol.

Guest LilBambi

RMC,Since the things you wish to access are probably located in a subdirectory of Program Files and you want to access across the network and XP Home doesn't want to cooperate...Is there a chance you could create a shortcut to the file/files/subdirectory that you specifically want to access in a directory that can be shared?Then you may be able to access to it/them regardless -- and it would be the actual directory/file so it would be up to date.Not sure if this would work well or not, I don't have XP Home here (only XP Pro) and won't be close to one till later this week. Seems like it should, but you know how it goes sometimes ... :angry2:

Well Win XP Home defaults to a shared folder called Shared Documents. Could you put the text file in that folder? It would be on the XP's hard drive and the other networked pcs would have access to it in the Shared Docs folder as well
Some times I over look the simplest things. Redirect the saved data file to the Shared Documents. :whistling:
Is there a chance you could create a shortcut to the file/files/subdirectory that you specifically want to access in a directory that can be shared?
Not sure but I will try.