Fonts in Firefox - can't change

ozgeek

I read the article on Customizing Mozilla products and followed the advice. I Went into root, found the chrome folder, opened the .css text in Kwrite and increased the size of the fonts. I then saved the changes as userchrome.css as instructed However, nothing has changed. Have I neglected to do something important? TIA, Ozgeek

LilBambi, that only increases the font sizes of the webpages that Firefox views, it does not alter the size of the Firefox taskbar menus. They are the things I'm trying to be able to see. Mozilla gives explicit instructions on how to do this, but nothing is working.Ozgeek :'( :lol:

What article did you follow? I have never tried it myself.Is it this? It seems to offer customizing, but I don't know what.

SonicDragon

I think the files in steeler fan for life's article are located at:/firefox/defaults/profile/chrome----------------------------------------------editThey also seem to be here:/firefox/defaults/profile/US/chromeI don't know which one is the correct one now... :whistling:

I personally don't mess with the user* files manually.I am a big fan of ChromEdit. I think its the most useful extension out there. It takes the guess work out of the editing.Firefox Help shows where the profile is:

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.On MacOS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.Note: Firefox is capable of handling more than one user and thus, more than one profile. The path examples above refers to the default profile that is automatically created when you start Firefox for the first time. You can manage any number of profiles by using the Profile Manager.%AppData% is a shorthand for the Application Data path on Windows 2000/XP. To use it, click Start > Run..., enter %AppData% and press Enter. You will be taken to the "real" folder, which is normally C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data.

Sorry about this interruption.I was wondering if I could browse history pages offline with Mozilla a la IE? And if so, how to set this feature up.

You mean File>Work Offline? Or something else?If you go to that and then use Ctrl+H to open the History Sidebar (or View>Sidebar>History) you can view history pages offline.

Thanks. I found it. It's Go>History. I also found the History button in customize and placed it on the toolbar. Also changed my History and cache settings. Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

LilBambi, that only increases the font sizes of the webpages that Firefox views, it does not alter the size of the Firefox taskbar menus. They are the things I'm trying to be able to see.      Mozilla gives explicit instructions on how to do this, but nothing is working.Ozgeek :w00t:  :)
Easiest way to do this (I've found) is to try a different theme... some themes use different (and often larger) fonts... Might be worth a shot to try that approach.

• 4 weeks later...
I am a big fan of ChromEdit. I think its the most useful extension out there. It takes the guess work out of the editing.Firefox Help shows where the profile is: On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.
Hi Steeler Fan. Thanks for your post. I've downloaded Chromedit but don't know where to go from here. Would you please help :>) I've read the "helper" page you suggested but can't understand the path mentioned. Is Chromedit actually part of the browser??Regards, Jan

Jan actually trying to recall this from memory but once you've d/l chromedit restart the browser and you'l find it under tools or options in the file menu.HTH. B)

Jan actually trying to recall this from memory but once you've d/l chromedit restart the browser and you'l find it under tools or options in the file menu.HTH. :)
Thanks Jodef, I found the file under tools/Edit user files. However, I'm getting the same result as I did editing the core file. Nothing changes in the browser. I increase the font size from 20pt to 28pt and the small fonts stay the same. What am I doing wrong? It's SO frustrating. o:) Jan

SonicDragon
Thanks Jodef, I found the file under tools/Edit user files. However, I'm getting the same result as I did editing the core file. Nothing changes in the browser. I increase the font size from 20pt to 28pt and the small fonts stay the same. What am I doing wrong? It's SO frustrating.
Are you restarting the browser after these changes are made?

Are you restarting the browser after these changes are made?
Yes, Sonic Dragon, I am. I've even tried rebooting my computer. Nothing seems to work. Jan :)

Can you post your userChrome.css file?It is located:

On Windows XP/2000, the path is usually %AppData%\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\, where xxxxxxxx is a random string of 8 characters. Just browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\ and the rest should be obvious.On Windows 95/98/Me, the path is usually C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\On Linux, the path is usually ~/.phoenix/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.On MacOS X, the path is usually ~/Library/Phoenix/Profiles/default/xxxxxxxx.slt.
(taken shamelessly from Firefox Help)Or, you could post them from ChromEdit itself :w00t: Also, what version of Firefox are you using? Go to Help>About Mozilla Firefox and paste the string at the bottom (mine is Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040326 Firefox/0.8.0+)(Note that if you are using a nightly version of Firefox (a more recent one) then the "phoenix" portion of the profile path will be "firefox")(Edit: I noticed I posted the same profile-finding information earlier in the thread... :w00t: )

Steeler Fan, here is my .css file/* * Edit this file and copy it as userChrome.css into your * profile-directory/chrome/ *//* * This file can be used to customize the look of Mozilla's user interface * You should consider using !important on rules which you want to * override default settings. *//* * Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning */@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* set default namespace to XUL *//* * Some possible accessibility enhancements: *//* * Make all the default font sizes 28 pt: * * * { * font-size: 28pt !important * } *//* * Make menu items in particular 28 pt instead of the default size: * * menupopup > * { * font-size: 20pt !important * } *//* * Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font * * #urlbar { * font-family: Arial !important; * } *//* * Eliminate the throbber and its annoying movement: * * #throbber-box { * display: none !important; * } *//* * For more examples see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html */ Regards Jan

YEAH !!I have just downloaded and installed the latest Firefox which actually has readable fonts. wonderful :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Thanks to everyone who has helped. :D :D :D Regards Jan

That is your userChrome.css file? I think I might know why it hasn't worked (although I see that you have it working now--congratulations!)Here is the exact same userChrome.css file, that should work 100%:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /*Make all the default font sizes 28 pt:*/{ font-size: 28pt !important}/*Make menu items in particular 28 pt instead of the default size: */ menupopup > { font-size: 28pt !important }/* Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font */ #urlbar { font-family: Arial !important; }

I don't know if you wanted the throbber entry or not, but if you did, add this in at the bottom:

/* Eliminate the throbber and its annoying movement: */ #throbber-box { display: none !important; }

See what was happening was, /* starts a comment, and */ ends one. So all of your entries were commented out, and hence they were ignored by the browser. Also, multiple lines do not matter, whitespace is ignored, so I just moved everything onto one line. And just for clarification, <code>!important</code> makes sure that your options aren't overwritten by a webpages CSS file.But if your fonts are working now, I wouldn't mess with them :w00t: Just as an example (not that it has anything to do with your issue) here is my userChrome.css:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /* Remove the close button on the tab bar */ .tabs-closebutton {    display: none !important; }

I didn't even take out the multiple lines! But all of the comments are unnecessary; the @namespace line is still needed however.Hope at least some of this helps :w00t:

Yes, thank-you Steeler Fan. I will save this and try and use it in Thunderbird, which still has miniature fonts.Regards Jan

• 2 weeks later...

I am using Slackware 9.1 and d/l a build of firefox through swaret : Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040207 Firefox/0.8 While the menu fonts are not unreadable they are very small I tried the suggestions above for altering the menu fonts without luck.Using gtk2 + xft version.Any other suggestions. B)

• 1 month later...

This has to be the most annoying problem with firefox the fonts of every other applications menu is ok but the ones in firefox are tiny :rolleyes: This is the content of userchrome.css am I missing something the menu fonts stay same size;rebooting and evn restarting browser do not help.

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");/*Make all the default font sizes 35 pt:*/{ font-size: 35 !important}/*Make menu items in particular 35 pt instead of the default size: */menupopup > { font-size: 35 !important }/* Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font */#urlbar { font-family: Arial !important; }

Help :)

Try either of these lines (I'm not 100% sure which one works; you may even need both):

menupopup > * {font-size: 35pt !important}

and

menu * {font-size: 35pt !important}

35pt is pretty big, but these lines should work.[edit]I don't think your initial line will do anything. Try

window{  font-size: 35pt !important;}

Ok here's another twist in my firefox saga my userchrome.css has the following options:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");/*Make menu items in particular 12 pt instead of the default size: */window{ font-size: 12pt !important;}menupopup > * {font-size: 12pt !important}menu * {font-size: 12pt !important}/* Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font */#urlbar { font-family: Arial !important; }
The menu and bkmks toolbar ok but the popup windows e.g. when I go to Tool->Options the font sizes haven't changed in these windows ie the fonts are tiny in these windows.Suggestions :blink:

Alright, make this your userChrome.css:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");/*Make menu items in particular 12 pt instead of the default size: */window{  font-size: 12pt !important;}menubar > menu {  font-size: 12pt !important;}menupopup > * {  font-size: 12pt !important;}dialog, box, button, page, label, caption, textbox {    font-size: 12pt !important;}/* Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font */#urlbar { font-family: Arial !important; }

That should work. If not, split off the last three (label, caption, textbox) into their own rules...I don't know if it makes a difference.

Alright, make this your userChrome.css:
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");/*Make menu items in particular 12 pt instead of the default size: */window{  font-size: 12pt !important;}menubar > menu {  font-size: 12pt !important;}menupopup > * {  font-size: 12pt !important;}dialog, box, button, page, label, caption, textbox {    font-size: 12pt !important;}/* Give the Location (URL) Bar a fixed-width font */#urlbar { font-family: Arial !important; }

Hi Neil. I increased the fonts to 14pt and this works perfectly for me. Many thanks :>)) Regards Jan ;) B) B) B) :D :D :D :D