FBI Removes Servers From Chat Room Company

ibe98765

You never know when something you've posted might come back to haunt you...

FBI Removes Servers From Chat Room Company By Associated Press February 24, 2004    POWELL, Ohio (AP)—Federal agents conducting an Internet crime investigation confiscated computer equipment and data files from a company that hosts private Internet chat rooms, an FBI spokesman said Tuesday. Agents took computer servers from CIT Hosting while executing a search warrant Feb. 14 at a house in the Columbus suburbs, FBI spokesman James Turgal said. He would not elaborate on the investigation other than to say it concerns "cyber crime" and is not terrorism-related. "According to the warrant, it appears that the bureau is investigating whether someone hosted on our network hacked and attacked someone else," CIT Hosting said in a statement to customers posted on its Web site. FBI agents took computer servers from CIT Hosting after spending several hours looking at data, according to the company. The Chicago-based company said its data center in Columbus temporarily ceased operating after the raid. The company's private chat rooms remain down, its Web site said on Tuesday. There are no phone listings for the company in Chicago or the Columbus area. A spokesman for the local U.S. Attorney's office said he did not have any information about the case.

I think it is safe to assume that anything you post anywhere can come back later. Someone just tracked me down from a post I made in 1998 on a roots newsgroup wanting family history stuff. I have changed email addresses since then and have a very common last name but they worked at it until they found me. They actually located me through my hurricane Isabel web site. With all the folks out there that use the Internet for bad things it is not necessarily a bad thing that the FBI is actively going after some. I have no tolerance for those that prey on children.Julia

With all the folks out there that use the Internet for bad things it is not necessarily a bad thing that the FBI is actively going after some.  I have no tolerance for those that prey on children.Julia
With the internet a whole new breed of criminal was created. :w00t:

I don't think we are saturated with bad news but with all the channels of information available, we are just more aware of many things, like you mention, that have been going on for a very long time.