Support Agony

mrainey

How does this rate with the recent amendment to the "Constitution" found here?I personally won't even touch this site if I *have* to suffer thru an ad, no matter how interesting the subject is. And you say trust you? If I trusted everyone on the 'net, then I'd be deep in Nigerian debt, have a few loan consolidations to cover my recently *acquired* Nigerian debt, larger body parts, and several Russian brides. No thanks.JMHOtbird

Sorry I ever had the gall to mention a story that I thought would be interesting to computer users. I go to the New York Times and Salon every day. I'm officially "logged" both places. After a couple years, no negative consequences (that I'm aware of).Most forums I visit require an initial login before you're allowed to post. I've forgotten, does this one?It won't happen again. Not worth the pain. Mike

Guest LilBambi

OK, let's keep it sweet Pete (as Firesign Theatre would say).Thanks for posting mrainey, and thanks to tbird for mentioning the new item added so Highlanders are able to freely read the articles listed and can comment appropriately after being able to read the entire article without having to worry about paid subscriptions just to read something someone posts here in SFNL forums.Salon has gone to a subscription based service but their situation is a bit unique as they do allow a one day free pass IF you watch an ad. As tbird mentioned, he (and other Highlanders might like to know this in advance) and it certainly should be posted informationally with the article link that this is a subscription service but they do allow you to read for free if you watch an ad so Highlanders will know what to expect.NYTimes is also a subscription service, but it simply requires free registration. Even so, out of courtesy, when Highlanders post links to articles on the NYTimes, they will say (requires free membership to read the article).I would say, that with services that have changed to subscriptions like Salon (and eventually will likely do away with the ad driven free day pass), it would probably be best to see if there is another article referencing the subject on a site where all can read it without having to deal with sitting through an annoy ad. I know I won't be going to Salon anymore, but that's just me ;)Thanks all!

Sorry I ever had the gall to mention a story that I thought would be interesting to computer users.  I go to the New York Times and Salon every day.  I'm officially "logged" both places.  After a couple years, no negative consequences (that I'm aware of).Most forums I visit require an initial login before you're allowed to post.  I've forgotten, does this one?It won't happen again.  Not worth the pain.                                                              Mike
mrainey, Take it easy bud. No sense in getting bent on this one. The link you posted was kinda borderline on the rules. You can read it for free, but there is a "catch". If there is a similar situation in the future just warn people in your post what the "catch" is ( be it free registration, watching an ad, etc. ) so they can choose for themselves without having to find out about the "catch" after going to the site. That is all people are asking. While this has nothing to do with you, some people were linking to articles that you had to pay, not free registration, but pay sites. That is what got this whole rule started. And it makes sense and is fair. And as far as this,
Most forums I visit require an initial login before you're allowed to post.  I've forgotten, does this one?
Dude, that is to post. We are not talking about posting here. Just reading. Which anyone is more than welcome to do here with or without logging in. But like i said, it really is not a big deal, even if some folks made it one. Just inform folks of the "catch" in the future. We would appreciate it. Thanks bud.

nlinecomputers

Easy trick to get past the salon ad if your a Mozilla user:Set Allow cookies from cache.ultramercial.comAdblock cache.ultramercial.com/*Adblock salon.com/Creatives/*That flags the cookie you've seen the ad, and next time you get a nice clean page that says click here to continue.I haven't watched a salon ad in quite some time..... :blink: As for NYTimes I set up a totally fake user somethink like bulls---@bulll----.com password the same. I use different ones. Sometimes they get cut off but I just create a new one and browse on in. Not a problem unless your dumb enough to use a real email address. Lets save the flames for real problems can we?

We're cool.Actually, I wasn't aware of the ad, as I'm a "Premium" user ($20/yr) and never see the prompt.But think - If we were to refuse to take advantage of anything that required a "forced" ad, goodbye to all TV, radio, magazines, etc.Make a cup of coffee, pet the dog, kiss the wife, toggle the screen to a different site for 60 seconds. No big deal.Now, to the point - how did you like the article?

That Dilbert cartoon is hilarious. If it wasn't so true, the comical nature wouldnt' be so funny.mrainey, I'm browing from a computer public library and wasn't really bothered too much from the ad. - quite short one.The tech support story is pretty scary - if it's true. I can't say if it is or not. But speaking from my own personal nightmare several years ago when i bought my first Dell PC, i tend to think it's very much of a reality of how it's like these days. Thank god i've learned much more about computers since then and able to troubleshoot some minor stuff here and there. Otherwise, i'd be coming to these sort of sites everyday!... uhh wait, I think i do come here everyday!! :blink:

nlinecomputers
....or the muppet-like aol spoof seen on the 'netring ringtech support...i have mailmay i help youi have mailhow may i help youi have mailetc. etc.
Is there a link to that?

Guest LilBambi

Actually, I think it is TechBoost.com that's gone (which means anything located under them is gone at least until they find a new home) ... looks like they may have been slow in renewing their domain name ... looks like the Scourge of the Internet (BuyDomains.com) stole it right out from under them ... just like they have done to so many other folks' domains !!! :)

Guest Paracelsus

And from the opposite POV...Here's one of my all time Favorites (Which, I've no doubt, many of you may be able to relate ;) )IDtenT(3).jpgClick Image to View :devil: :shifty: :P