Home networking problems

vulturesrow

Me and my friends set up a small network in our room. We have 5 users connected through a linksys 8-port workgroup switch. We all hooked up ran network setup wizard (we are all running XP). Everyone was immediately available to access the other share folders. However I cannot see any of the other computers in my network places and when I try to "view workgroup computers" I got the following error message box."MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissionsThe network path was not found"Some of the guys can see my computer under their workgroup but cant access anything. I cant figure out what is going on here. I ran network setup multiple times. One thing weird I noticed is that wizard tries to setup the Linksys switch as a network device and bridge my other other connections. No one elses computers do this.. I tried deleting that device but it didnt help.Any ideas would be very appreciated because I am at my wits end. Thanks, PS all firewalls are turned off.Chris

Chris - take a look at this previous thread.I find that if I can ping, etc (your friends can see your computer) that you can then go to Search/ Find Computers & search for their computer names & their computers will show up.Make sure: No spaces in computer share namesXP firewall is turned offNO bridged connectionsOther firewalls are disabled - at least until you get your network talkingThere is a shared folder or printer on the computers that you are trying to accessHope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...

first things first. You really shouldn't name the network MSHOME. Be original. And do what siebkens suggested, 99% of the time its the XP firewall thats messing up anything dealing with networkingJ