Ximian Red Carpet

ebrke

Elizabeth,Some of us have used it. I have used it and I like how it makes Red Hat look sleeker and the package update tool works quite well. :thumbsup:

nlinecomputers

I've only tried it a couple of times on a Red Hat 8 box. Didn't offer anything that I couldn't already get via apt-get or urpmi in mandrake. Evolution is the only Ximian product that I care for as I'm a KDE guy not gnome.

I have used it with SuSE 9.0 Pro and installed the X2 desktop I believe that was the name. anyway it hosed my system. It did work fine to upgrade my Evolution from 1.4 to 1.45 I don't know how it works for redhat. I can tell you this I get the Ximian red carpet Digest from the forum 3 or 4 times a day and many are complaing of problems when using it.Mel :thumbsup:

I'm using KDE on SuSE 9.0. RedCarpet says they support SuSE 9.0--nothing about KDE or Gnome, but they do have a CLI as well as the GUI. Am I looking for problems? I think I'm going to reinstall SuSE anyway, so I should probably stop being such a wuss and just try RedCarpet. If I mess anything up, I'll just reinstall sooner. ;)Edited: Mel, what's the X2 desktop--Ximian desktop? I was just going after RedCarpet. I'm looking for something to help with installs/dependencies,etc. I did download the rpms for APT, but thought I might want something a little simpler and haven't installed yet. Are you using anything like this on SuSE 9.0?

I've tried it before under Mandrake and couldn't get it to work (this was a couple of years ago). It didn't hurt anything, it just never really installed. A friend of mine (who I should mention is quite smart and sophisticated) had it hose his Mandrake system. Another user tried it on his Red Hat system and had a similar experience (couldn't boot into X afterward). I'd advise to use with caution (at least until they have a rollback option :thumbsup: ). I'm sure it works great for many people and has other people cursing the heavens with their fists.

nlinecomputers

apt-get works great. Red Carpet is only going to supply Ximian products. Apt-get repositories can hold anything and alot of distros have large repositories of programs. I use mandrake and they have urpmi which is the same kind of idea. Lots of programs out for it as well via urpmi. If you are a SuSE user then you have YaST and it has lots of programs and the abilty to add sources as well. And I think apt has a large SuSE user base as well.

Hi ElizabethFor your last question on the Yast sources we will have to wait for a real SUSE user ( I have it on my test system but use it rarely ).On the Red Carpet: there is a Tip how to install it . . . Ximian Red Carpet and most people are happy with it as additional package manager, mainly to keep Evolution up to date . . the Red Carpet has the packages sooner then any other place . . . . they do a few other packages too, but they are all more or less related to the Ximian products.I recall one Penguin on the forum that had problems with it . . . but that is/was the only one up to now . . . I will try to find the thread and paste a link in this post as soon as I find it, so you can see what to do if you get the same problem ( very unlikely ) . . . . ;)The problems of Rpiz ( They really turn ugly in the middle of the thread, but there is a happy end :ermm: ): http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...7&hl=red+carpetThe successful install of "Ximian Desktop" ( only SUSE ) by Peachy: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...9&hl=red+carpet B) Bruno

I'm using KDE on SuSE 9.0.  RedCarpet says they support SuSE 9.0--nothing about KDE or Gnome, but they do have a CLI as well as the GUI.  Am I looking for problems?  I think I'm going to reinstall SuSE anyway, so I should probably stop being such a wuss and just try RedCarpet.  If I mess anything up, I'll just reinstall sooner.  ;)Edited:  Mel, what's the X2 desktop--Ximian desktop?  I was just going after RedCarpet.  I'm looking for something to help with installs/dependencies,etc.  I did download the rpms for APT, but thought I might want something a little simpler and haven't installed yet.  Are you using anything like this on SuSE 9.0?
hello ElizabethI did not have any problems with red caepet as far as downloading goes. Only with what it downloads and dependencies. It reaqlly hosed my system when it downloaded and installed the ximian desktop. Thats what I meant by X2 :ermm: MelPS Good Luck B)

Hi Elizabeth; I had problems as indicated in Bruno's post and now it works fine. I believethat the problem occurred because of the unavailability of one of the three packagescausing a deviation from the sequence of installation mentioned in the original'Tips" post on Red Carpet. The problems that I had should not dissuade youfrom giving it a try. Good Luck :ermm:

I've only added sources using YaST. First of all, a caveat. You're not going to find any software on these other sources you don't already find on your CDs. This uses official SuSE mirrors. Their may be unofficial mirrors; I don't know. Anybody else know?1. First, you need to check the list of download mirrors, find a fairly up-to-date mirror that is fast for you. The way I figure out what is fast is just to click on them one at a time in the browser and see which reacts the fastest (real scientific, huh?). You could try downloading a file once there to double-check the speed. Drill down to the directory with the file in it called INDEX.gz (if I assume you're on a PC and you're using the most recent version at the time of this post, then it will be in i386/9.0). Then, note the entire address.2. Start YaST. Click on 'Change Source of Installation'.3. Click on 'Add' and choose 'FTP' from the drop-down list.4. Now you have to break down the address you noted above into 'Server name' and 'Directory on Server'. Everything before the very first / is the 'Server Name'. The stuff after that '/' is the directory (NOTE: the / shouldn't be entered).Here's an example:ftp.unicamp.br/pub/suse/i386/9.0Server Name is: ftp.unicamp.brDirectory on Server is: pub/suse/i386/9.0(Note that I didn't include the first slash '/')5. Enter the information into the boxes. Under 'Authentication', click the 'Anonymous' checkbox.6. Click 'Ok7. This could take a while. It takes several minutes on my machine. However, if you entered the syntax incorrectly, you'll probably get an error message right away which will be little to no help. Repeat all the steps and rinse. If you keep having problems, post here or message me privately and I'll help you.8. Click the 'Up' or 'Down' button to raise the priority of the source. The first one in the list is checked and I think the next one is only checked if the first fails or times out. Since it can be a bit of a painful process to add a source, don't remove sources you're not using, just click the 'Enable or Disable' button which toggles the source on or off.Have lots of fun! B)

Okay, maybe that explains my problem. I was trying to add something other than an official SuSE mirror. Thanks for clearing that up. However, I'm going to note your response for possible future use. I have installed apt and later this weekend I'm going to try to add some sources and get synaptic.Thanks. :thumbsup:

The site where I found it said it supported SuSE. Packages were apt-0.5.5cnc6-rb6.i586.rpm and apt-libs-0.5.5cnc6-rb6.i586.rpm. Since it came packaged as an rpm and installed successfully I didn't even think about it. Was I wrong? :ermm:Edited: Oops, my bad. I have apt-get packages but I guess synaptic is for the original apt. Oh well, onward and upward. :)Edited: No, the page Advanced Package Tool for SuSE says Synaptic is available for SuSE 8.2 and up so I guess I can use it if I can get it.