Getting Ready for a big project......

ross549

457688_10150917674793744_628633743_9868065_1761747679_o.jpg

461872_10150917675083744_1619242908_o.jpg

Here is a shot of the item I am working on......

487374_10150916989028744_628633743_9864856_213275523_n.jpg

Any ideas what I might be working on?

:D

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Those look like the backside of LED 7 segment display controllers. Is that some sort of counter/display?

V.T. Eric Layton

Nope. Think audio device.

Adam

Ah... those are rheostats not 7-segment displays on the far backsides of those boards. Let's see... some sort of sound mixer board?

Ah... those are rheostats not 7-segment displays on the far backsides of those boards. Let's see... some sort of sound mixer board?

Bingo!

V.T. Eric Layton

Your first image above show solder paste(?), a de-soldering bulb, and solder wick. Are you salvaging this device for parts or what?

459553_10150919461443744_2023168580_o.jpg

This si the sound board I was working on. The Channel 1 fader had mechanically failed. I thought I had some bad gain pots too, but it turns out they are working fine today. Go figure.

524951_10150919461718744_628633743_9874377_648440908_n.jpg

The channel one fader is on the top. The housing was separating.

461331_10150919462023744_746649933_o.jpg

You can see the housing better in theis pic. The new fader is installed and works great. :)

Adam

It is what I do........ :)

Thanks to LilBambi's husband for the assistance with the soldering! I still do not trust myself with an iron!

Adam

They don't make 'em like they used to. This is the one we have where I work, Yamaha PM4000. It's built like a tank.

pm4000.jpg

Ate you mixing an orchestra? ;-)

Adam

No, it's only 48 channels. Orchestras use way more than that. You'd be amazed how many channels bands use these days; we recently had Ziggy Marley at the club with over 40 channels.

1. Usually, a rack mount unit will be of much higher quality and offer RCA outputs that can be used to patch into an audio input.

2. When I was digitizing, I used CoolEdit Pro. It has been bought by Adobe and renamed to Audition. It is not cheap. With a good casette deck, noise reduction may not be strictly necessary.

3. I used a Sound Blaster Live PCI card. Look for signal to noise ratio... above 100 (sb live was 109) is really good.

4. I would capture as WAV, do editing, then export to high bitrate MP3.

5. LAME does a good job, especially at high bit rates. Keep the WAV originals....

Adam

1. Tascam or Nakamichi for top quality, and price. Otherwise any decent brand should give acceptable results.

2. Audacity has a Noise removal function. Try a few settings to get best results. Usually mild settings are best. You select a section of tape with no content and use that as a profile to remove noise from the whole recording. It's not the best but can be useful, and it's free. Audacity is also good to do the initial recording.

Waves noise removal plugins are great but not Linux and expensive. If you have a spare 3 grand you can get Cedar which is one of the best, but you need ProTools to run it. Their website has a nice writeup of the concepts under the "About audio restoration" section.

3. Results should be acceptable with most soundcards. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which is great. Just make sure you don't peak the record level (ie. over 0dB)

4. Record to .wav then convert to FLAC and keep the FLAC files. Only convert to mp3, aac, m4a, or preferably ogg vorbis if you need for a particular device. I use ogg for my netbook and FLAC on my desktop.

5.Yep, LAME is OK for mp3. Only use mp3 if you have to for a particular device. Ogg is better quality at the same bitrate, as are aac/m4a.

I have over 100 old cassettes from live shows I've been meaning to digitise for ages. Just acquired an old Teac deck, which hopefully works OK. It's winter here in Melbourne, so I have no excuse not to sit inside and get it done. :)

I think the rackmount tape deck we have at church is a Tascam. It's worked fin the two times I used it. :D

"You brought your song on what?" "Yeah, I can play it...."

Adam

I think the rackmount tape deck we have at church is a Tascam.

Tascam 122 was a standard fixture in recording studios before the era of CD burners. Artists and producers would often take home a rough mix of the day's session, or the final mix, to listen on different equipment. You can get them on ebay for $50-350. Tascam still make professional cassette decks today.

Nakamichi made the top-end audiophile decks often with a price to match. I think some were over $1000 which was a fortune in the 70s and 80s. Some of my more wealthy friends wouldn't touch anything else. They did sound great; with good noise reduction systems it was hard to distinguish them from vinyl! B) :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Peavey RQ200 right now, but I am looking for the better EQ, routing options, and USB interface for recording. :)

It shipped today, so I should see it Monday or Tuesday. :)

Adam