VLC Media Player in Windows XP

réjean

Hi all!

I have been using VLC Media Player for a long time in Linux to play some Network Streams. Now I would like to be able to do th same in Windows XP.

I installed it and after I "copy a link location" past it and try to play it I get an error message.

How could this be fixed?

77526751.th.png

Edited by réjean

Guest LilBambi

You are trying to use vlc to view facebook videos?

I don't do facebook, but generally you would do that as a plugin for flash?

Sorry Fran! I missed your reply yesterday.

That was a bad example of some attempts I made trying to figure out VLC.

What I would really like to do is listen to the CBC local radio station

I can watch the videos using the flash plugin for Firefox but I cannot listen to the radio. Maybe I should try Real Player and use VLC in Linux only.

Sorry Fran! I missed your reply yesterday.

That was a bad example of some attempts I made trying to figure out VLC.

What I would really like to do is listen to the CBC local radio station

I can watch the videos using the flash plugin for Firefox but I cannot listen to the radio. Maybe I should try Real Player and use VLC in Linux only.

what is the stream's url?

Guest LilBambi

I would say use Flash for the radio at CBC. That's what they are using. They get their service from StreamTheWorld.com.

StreamTheWorld.com in their Radio Brochure says about their quality of experience and reach:

Quality of experience and reach

HE-AAC, MP3, WMA and more. H.264, VP6, Spark, VC-1 and more Flash® Player, SilverlightTM, WinAmp®, iTunes®, Windows Media Player®, VLC and more Windows®, Mac OS® X, Linux platforms Computers, laptops Mobile devices HD devices

But I had to use the Flash Player on the Mac to get the radio station to play.

But it could have been a combination of Flash and Silverlight since that is installed too

Hi Fran!

From this picture;

radiokf.th.jpg

taken from your link you can see that flash is working because I get different faces replacing each other every 10 seconds or so. But in the pop up window there is no place asking me to allow flash.

Here is another picture of the pop up window;

radio1nr.th.jpg

Oh and no I cannot install Google Chrome on this computer.

I forgot to say that if I click on one of the links at the bottom below the pop up window then the page where I was change to another page and from there I can hear a past show but not a live one.

radio2i.th.jpg

Edited by réjean

Guest LilBambi

Did you notice that in the 2nd picture you posted says Flash installation across the top?

Sounds like you need a newer version of flash for the live show and it's not installing it.

I would suggest going to check your version of flash. You might need a newer one.

Another possibility could be that you need a newer version of Silverlight as well. Some live radio stations need both Flash and Silverlight and the newest versions of each.

Could you check on that?

Sounds like you need a newer version of flash for the live show and it's not installing it.

I think you got the answer Fran. I couldn't install the latest version of flash so I went into an archive site and managed to find what I think is the 10.3 version.

Ah well! At least it allows my wife to play her Lexulous online scrabble games with her sister and her friend. She doesn't listen to live radio anyway. As for me I will wait until I can get a new mobo for my own machine.

Thanks for the help once again Fran. I really appreciate it.

You should be able to install the 11.2 version of flash on an XP computer.

I can even install up to 11.1 in windows 2000.

What sort of problem did you get when you tried to install 11.2 in XP? (I have this installed on 3 XP computers and some of them are pretty old.

Here are all the FF versions for windows: http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_firefox/

click on View More under Old Versions to see the archived ones.

Guest LilBambi

I have a friend that is still using Win2K as well. Can't pry it away from them sadly. ;) I totally understand. I love Win2K too, but not on the Internet. It's just not safe to be there anymore. Unless you use NO plugins at all and block IE from getting to the Internet entirely, IMHO.

Now of course, the current 32-bit version of Flash does work with Windows XP just fine:

Adobe Flash Player 11 / Tech specs

Windows

• 2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor, or Intel® Atom™ 1.6GHz or faster processor for netbooks
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit), Windows Server® 2003 (32-bit), Windows Server 2008 (32-bit), Windows Vista® (32-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Internet Explorer 7.0 and above, Mozilla Firefox 4.0 and above, Google Chrome, Safari 5.0 and above, Opera 11
  • 128MB of RAM (1GB of RAM recommended for netbooks); 128MB of graphics memory

Some additional help from Adobe here.

The big thing is that once there is a screw up in the installation like réjean has experienced, you need to remove the bunged install and install the new version again.

Sometimes you can uninstall it from Add/Remove Programs, but sometimes you need the Uninstaller from the page I posted in post #12 above.