PC Anywhere 10.5

Rons

Computer Spec's: Generic custom built ECS L7VMM mainboard, AMD 1.2 Duron, Apacer 128MB DDR 2100, Maxtor 40g HD, Sony CDRW, floppy disk, Creative Labs Modem Blaster 56k - display, LAN, USB integrated into mobo.2nd display adpater: Jaton 8MB - PCI Trident chipset.Software: Windows XP Pro SP1 - Office 2000 - Norton A/V 2003 - Client software.Problem: I built this system for a local company who does basically one thing on the computer - keep track of members as they use the facility via client supplied software - basically a Access database - using dual display. System works just fine until I install PC Anywhere 10.5. After installing the software, the computer will not shutdown, but reboots. Uninstall PC Anywhere 10.5 and the system shutdowns just fine. :lol: I have downloaded the latest update from Symantec, tried their recommended registry fix, tried various shutdown fixes for XP from all of the standard fix sites on the net, reboot disabled in XP, BIOS PM enabled-disabled still the same. And this happens whether or not I have PC Anywhere start with windows or not.Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Just curious, but would Remote Desktop Connection (installed with XP) work in place of PC Anywhere? I haven't read many good reviews of PC Anywhere, and it's obviously causing you some problems.Remote desktop works very well and can be customized to fit your connection speed. I use it to access my home PC from work and I love it! You can also download a program to allow a Non-XP machine to access an XP machine (See This Link). My other suggestion would be to use VNC (Virtual Network Connection). It accomplishes the same things as PC Anywhere and RDC. You can find more info about VNC here. The nice thing about it is that it's a FREE program.If these options won't work for you, please explain more why you require PCAnywhere. I was unable to find a solution to your shutdown problem though :lol:

GolfProRM: Thanks for the quick reply.Why PC Anywhere?My client has 7 business locations which range from 50 to 90 miles from her home. PC Anywhere allows direct dialup connection to the 7 locations for her to access the software she uses to monitor her clients entry to the businesses, as well as keeping track of billing. She can also remotely print checks from any of the businesses, maintain billing information and other assorted billing procedures. There is no needed for separate internet connections for any of the systems. This keeps the employees from going out and playing on the net during business hours. 4 of her 6 clubs use the exact same hardware as I previously mentioned. The main difference is that all six systems she connects to ALL are running Windows 98SE, and PC Anywhere works perfect. The exception is that her home system, a laptop, is running Windows XP Home - again - no problems with PC Anywhere.This last system I built for her, was the first that we installed Windows XP Pro on. Everything again works perfect. She is able to do all of her work without a problem.BUT - the system will not shutdown. Which is more of an annoyance than anything else. :lol: Again, thanks for the reply.

Quint: I have tried ALL of the recommended fixes, reg. tweaks, scripts and so forth - nothing worked.Stryder: Thanks for your time - I do appreciate it. And anti-virus program has been disabled during the installation - which have been numerious.To everyone who replied: Thank you.I think the most frustrating part is that I am unable to duplicate this problem on other systems. B)

Hi Stryder,I have checked running processes - nothing for PC Anywhere.Symantec does have a patch for the reboot rpoblem, which only effects PC Anywhere version 10.5 and Windows XP. I have installed the patch a dozen times, even going thru DOS to make sure Windows & the A/V program would not interfer with the update.Problem is still there.Once again, thanks for your time. B)