MMC

walkerpbus

walkerpbus

I am getting the message whenever I dry to execute a module "MMC cannot create the snap-in" How do I fix that problem?

Hello,

Are you logged in as the local or the domain administrator to the computer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

walkerpbus

Hello,

Are you logged in as the local or the domain administrator to the computer?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for your reply, sir.

I have "limited" domain administrator privilieges. With the software working right, I can add users & computers to the domain, set or reset their passwords. I have Windows 7 SP1 & I have attempted to put Active Directory on it which hasn't completely succeeded. The MMC problem occurs when I attempt to execute dsa.msc occasioned by installation of Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu so I am hindered in my duties of a domain sub-administrator, so to speak. I hope I have explained the problem.

Hello,

I think you would need to verify that you have sufficient privileges on the computer to allow the snap-in to initialize in the MMC. It sounds like it cannot do that because the account that it's running under (e.g., yours) doesn't have enough privileges on the system for it to do so.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

walkerpbus

Hello,

I think you would need to verify that you have sufficient privileges on the computer to allow the snap-in to initialize in the MMC. It sounds like it cannot do that because the account that it's running under (e.g., yours) doesn't have enough privileges on the system for it to do so.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for your reply. I normally have administrative privileges, but In answer to you I tried "run as administrator" but It failed with same error message!

The module was dsa.msc.

walkerpbus

let's get to the bottom of your security privileges.

go here - a file present itself for download-

http://www.stpworks....ationTester.zip

save it somewhere that you can find...

open a cmd prompt, run as administrator.

in the cmd prompt, navigate to where you unzipped the file

example - C: ... \ImpersonationTester\ImpersonationTester\ImpersonationTester\bin\Debug\ImpersonationTester.exe

to use it, from the cmd prompt type:

(username is the username you log onto your pc with when you turn it on in the morning.)

ImpersonationTester.exe username

example c:\what!>impersonationtester user

you will be prompted for the password for whatever username you put in (enter your password.)

example Password for .\user: ********

you will get output like this:

copy and paste it as your response.

BEFORE impersonation:
SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
SeSecurityPrivilege
SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
SeLoadDriverPrivilege
SeSystemProfilePrivilege
SeSystemtimePrivilege
SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege
SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege
SeCreatePagefilePrivilege
SeBackupPrivilege
SeRestorePrivilege
SeShutdownPrivilege
SeDebugPrivilege
SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
SeRemoteShutdownPrivilege
SeUndockPrivilege
SeManageVolumePrivilege
SeImpersonatePrivilege
SeCreateGlobalPrivilege
SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege
SeTimeZonePrivilege
SeCreateSymbolicLinkPrivilege

AFTER impersonation:
SeShutdownPrivilege
SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
SeUndockPrivilege
SeIncreaseWorkingSetPrivilege
SeTimeZonePrivilege

Press ENTER to exit

clipboard is empty, sir. please advise

walkerpbus

clipboard is empty, sir. please advise

Sir, I tried to execute your impersonationtester today & twice I got the reply (inexact quote) "this module is not a valid Win32 application."

walkerpbus

as goretsky said, i suspect you do not have the privileges you believe you have.

as i said in the other thread,

1. try another machine - a co-worker's for example. you have not done that. this will isolate the problem for us.

2. you said someone granted you privileges - i asked you then to go to that someone for help. did you do that?

here are some other ideas -

go to your boss and ask for help.

if (s)he is of no help,

go to your systems administration people and get one of those folks to help. their breadth and depth of knowledge will quickly resolve your issue.

your co-workers will be willing to let you know what you privileges are and why you cannot do what you'd like.

(none of us work (i suppose) at your company. we cannot know your privilege level.)

Thank you for your efforts. To answer some of your suggestions: 1. It works for me on an XP machine. 2. I've tried the other suggestions you made such as ask my boss, ask a systems administrative person, etc. . All I can think of to do is to make a virtual XP machine & upload the XP version, which is available to our department.

walkerpbus

Just post how you solved it and we can say {solved} in the topic. We don't actually close threads usually.

I think I got it going by using the CTRL panel & enabling the RSAT Services completely.

Edited by walkerpbus