Windows 8 to drop DVD playback

Peachy

Well, that sure sums that answer up ... sigh...

What a bunch of horse hockey...

:huh:

and slightly OT, any idea of why my quote of Aryeh's post got chopped up like that?

and more OT, when can we get intelligent hyperlinking back?

I think it sucks that they are charging so much for the codecs to operating system vendors, and OEMs. But it is even worse that now consumers will have to either buy OEM computers, or buy retail version and then on top of that buy the optional Media Center pack.

That is the way it was with XP. I remember setting up my parents computer way back in the day, and having to purchase the DVD decryption pack. Fact is, this license costs money. Another fact- very few actually watch DVDs on their computer any more, especially with the proliferation of inexpensive DVD players on the market.

Also, VLC is almost certainly not sanctioned by the media conglomerates. I bet they want to get rid of that as quickly as possible.

Adam

Yep, that's the way it was with XP.

I still don't have the Windows DVD or DivX codecs but I have VLC and KM Player, either one of which will play anything you can throw at them.

Instead of going away these "all in one" media players are proliferating more than ever, Just go to Portablefreeware,com and search for media players.

Guest LilBambi

Very true, but so many really don't get that. They may go to what comes up first in search engines and we all know where that leads.

very few actually watch DVDs on their computer any more
Count me as one of the few who does watch DVDs on my computer at least twice a week. I prefer this to watching on one of the tvs.