Trouble installing Active Directory in Win 7

walkerpbus

Guest LilBambi

Welcome walkerpbus!

What version of Windows 7 are you running?

The package that provides Active Directory does not run on Windows Home Premium. Below are the requirements for installation from the Microsoft download page for Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

which provides the service Active Directory if I am understanding it correctly:

**Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with SP1 can be installed ONLY on computers that are running the Enterprise, Professional, or Ultimate editions of Windows 7 or Windows 7 with SP1.**

Be patient for a bit, walkerpbus. One of the MS folks will pop in here shortly to assist you. :)

Thanks! Edited by walkerpbus

Guest LilBambi

However, I may be wrong on that. If you have Windows 7 SP1 installed, it is not specific in the requirements.

Hopefully our own Corrine will be able to pop in here to clarify.

Welcome walkerpbus!

What version of Windows 7 are you running?

The package that provides Active Directory does not run on Windows Home Premium. Below are the requirements for installation from the Microsoft download page for Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 (SP1)

which provides the service Active Directory if I am understanding it correctly:

Windows 7 Professional

Also what version of the RSAT are you trying to install on your version of Windows 7?

I don't know the version; does this express it: C:\Users\walker\Downloads\Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu ?

Guest LilBambi

It would appear that if you have SP1 on Windows 7 Home Premium the newer version of RSAT is supposed to work as the requirements are not specifying what version of Windows 7 once it has SP1 installed.

Guest LilBambi

OK, so you have Windows 7 Professional and it appears you have the right KB pkg for x86 (not x64):

Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu

You do have an x86 computer and not an x64 one right? If so...

Hmm, looks like you have what is needed. Let me look further.

Guest LilBambi

I have put a call out to Corrine to pop in here. She is a Microsoft MVP and if she can't help, she will know who to talk to.

Hang in there!

OK, so you have Windows 7 Professional and it appears you have the right KB pkg for x86 (not x64):

Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu

You do have an x86 computer and not an x64 one right? If so...

Hmm, looks like you have what is needed. Let me look further.

Yes it is 32-bit. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the above .msu & still no dsa.msc (I believe the executable) is nowhere on 2 local hard disks!

Edited by walkerpbus

I have put a call out to Corrine to pop in here. She is a Microsoft MVP and if she can't help, she will know who to talk to.

Hang in there!

Although I'm a Microsoft MVP, the award is in Consumer Security. That said, based on what I have read, if the installation instructions are not followed to the letter, including installing as Admin as well as the removal of all versions of Administration Tools Pack (Update for Microsoft Windows (958830)) or Remote Server Administration Tools from the computer before installing Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 7 with SP1, it will fail.

See Bilal Ahsan: DSA.MSC in Windows 7 for information on installing dsa.msc on Windows 7.

While we wait for Corrine, have you looked at this page and followed it:

How to access DSA.msc in windows 7 - TechNet

If you are certain about items up to 4, 5, and 6. Then make sure you have done 4, 5, and 6 and above to see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply, & the link. Yes, I have done that as well. I turned on some Windows features for RSAT in Control panel. I do have Active Directory Sites & Services going. But in order to to my job, I've got to be able to admit user ids & passworrds to the domain.

Edited by walkerpbus

Perhaps Aryeh can help. He is back from his recent travels & catching up so may not be able to respond immediately.

Guest LilBambi

I will PM Peachy too here on the forums. He may be able to help. (PM SENT)

walkerpbus you might also want to touch base with Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP-DS on his Awinish's Blog… perhaps on one of his Active Directory postings if no one comes forward who can help quickly enough for your needs.

In the meantime, I will PM Peachy...

Edited by LilBambi

Welcome to the Forums! Just a wee question for my clarification: you have a Windows Server 2008 or Server 2003 server with an Active Directory and you are trying to manage this server from Windows 7? And your Windows 7 computer is already a member of this domain?

Welcome to the Forums! Just a wee question for my clarification: you have a Windows Server 2008 or Server 2003 server with an Active Directory and you are trying to manage this server from Windows 7? And your Windows 7 computer is already a member of this domain?

We have both Server 2003 & 2008. There are some things I can manage on my Win 7 Pro machine: adding computers & adding/regulating most new & continuing users on the domain. Yes, my machine is on the domain.

Hello,

I am MVP, too, although not an Active Directory one. I've looked through the message thread and I'm not exactly clear on the exact steps you've taken so far. Do you think you could post a step-by-step summary of what has been done on the computer? Maybe that will help in further troubleshooting the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

I am MVP, too, although not an Active Directory one. I've looked through the message thread and I'm not exactly clear on the exact steps you've taken so far. Do you think you could post a step-by-step summary of what has been done on the computer? Maybe that will help in further troubleshooting the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

1. I have downloaded, installed (twice) Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu for my 32bit machine. 2. Also I have enabled some Program features in Control Panel (turn Windows features on or off) some of the Remote Server Administration Tools as instructed by either this forum or another MS forum covering the same topic. The basic problem is no dsa.msc executable from step 1!

i have the admin tools running on my win 7 pro sp 1, 64 bit machine. don't have a x86 version of win 7 pro to play with...

my domain runs on 2003.

i would start afresh.

1. determine what you are running

1.a. Start, [in search box type], winver - report findings.

1.b. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218 - start [in search box type] system information - report findings under "system type"

2. determine if your os matches this - http://www.microsoft...lang=en&id=7887

3. download what matches what was reported in 1.b, above. from http://www.microsoft...lang=en&id=7887

all things being right, it jsut installs and runs .

failing that - drop and add pc from/to domain:

computer properties, computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, change settings

drop from domain by selecting workgroup and enter any name

restart

computer properties, computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, change settings

rejoin domain

restart

i have seen the domain loose the pc's password - this is the quickest way to restore that trust relationship.

Item 1. It's a 32 bit, so it says in the properties of Computer. As to the other problems with the domain, the main problem as I see it is the absence of the dsa.msc module from Windows6.1-KB958830-x86-RefreshPkg.msu installation (& uninstall & reinstall). Never had any problems with the domain. I can even see various sub-net servers on the domain.

can you open "event viewer?"

this will test to see if mmc works ok on your pc.

rsvp

Is that something invoked from the Windows Run command? Or tell me how?

Guest LilBambi

Better troubleshooting capabilities with Windows 7 Event Viewer - TechRepublic

the Windows 7 version of the Event Viewer has been completely rewritten with a new user interface that makes it much easier to filter and sort events as well as control which type of events are logged. In addition, you can now perform some basic diagnostic tasks right from within Event Viewer itself.

Microsoft has stated that they are going to impose stricter standards in order to ensure that events logged in Event Viewer are more meaningful, actionable, and well-documented, thus providing better information for troubleshooting. In addition, Windows 7’s Event Viewer will be the central point of inquiry for all the operating system’s logs. More specifically, those operating system components that store logging information in text files will add events to the event log in Windows 7.

Other new features in Event Viewer allow you to create and save custom views so that you can easily focus in on the problem you are currently troubleshooting, create event subscriptions that can collect information from other computers on a network, and allow you to more easily correlate problems that affect multiple computers and assign tasks that are to run when a certain event occurs.

Windows 7 Event Viewer

475193-500-310.png

Compared with Windows XP Event Viewer:

475194-500-225.png

Much more in the article.

Easiest way to invoke it is to use the Start box search box, and type in Event Viewer.

I've got it open---what do I look for & why is it pertinent to this case?

Edited by walkerpbus

Guest LilBambi

• Click "Start" button, and then choose "Control Panel".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_001.png
  • Click "System and Security".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_002.png
  • Click "Administrative Tools".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_003.png
  • Double click "Event Viewer".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_004.png=

In the system logs, you may find your answer as to what happened and why that executable you need is not there.

• Click "Start" button, and then choose "Control Panel".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_001.png
  • Click "System and Security".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_002.png
  • Click "Administrative Tools".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_003.png
  • Double click "Event Viewer".
    Monitor_Activity_with_Event_Viewer_in_Windows_7_004.png=

In the system logs, you may find your answer as to what happened and why that executable you need is not there.

I'm not sure how to use this as yet. I followed the link above with Recipester. How about this for a plan? 1.uninstall the Windows update which purportedly brings in the executable dsa.msc; then reinstall it & look in the system logs for that date & time? BTW, what would be the event number?

Edited by walkerpbus