Prevent Partition Automounting

jodef

Hi Jodef . . . this is as clear as mud . . . . who calls it /mnt/hd ?  Is that you who decides this or Mandrake making this up by itself ? . . . Can't you just make an Ext3 or ReiserFS as primary partition ? . . .  ( I will have to go back in the thread but I remember the last partition on hdb was supposed to be ReiserFS (  Linux Shared Data )  . . why not swap them around, make the first ReiserFS and the last Ext2 ? :DB) Bruno
Now you've succeeded in hurting my feelings :D Anyway Bruno Mandrake is calling it /mnt/hd I haven't touched partition names all the partition labels are those provided by Mandrake.I cannot format in Reiserfs or Ext3 within Mandrake although Diskdrake reports no errors when I check back file type it is created as Linux Native partition which from my understanding is ext2 correct.When I was installing PCLos I created a ReiserFS partition (/hda6 provided by diskdrake) which showed in diskdrake as ReiserFS however on starting PCLos instal; the same partition created just created (/hda6) was recognized as a Linux Native partition.I then went got my Slackware CD deleted partition created one in ext2 format and then I was able to go into Mandrake and format it as ReiserFS.Regardless of what I do within Mandrake the created partition show up as ext2 eventually.Only partition on which Mandrake resides shows correctly.Weird :D :D That also seems to be the reason hd partition tables are constantly being messed up.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jodef

• Owyn

• Bruno

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

:D . . . Sorry Johann . . . was not targetting you but Diskdrake :D it's just too weird you have to make the partition first in Slack ( Ext2 ) and then use Drake to reformat it ReiserFS . . . . . This is a an absolute bug with horror status in Diskdrake. :D I am glad you found a way to create the partitions, excellent job . . . . but how will we explain this to new penguins coming to the forum ? :D :D :D Bruno

Well my streak continues formatting in ext3 resulted in following error:

sh-2021:reiser_read_super can not find reiserfs on ide0(3,1)mount:error 22 mounting reiserfserror repeats about 3 times then get a kernel panic error

As per your post reformatted ReiserFS I included necessary info in Mandrake Lilo on boot following error:

Can not find ext3 on ide0(3,6)kernel panic error

:D :D :D :D

Hi Johann You know what I would do in such cases ? ( I know this looks complicated, but at least you are sure PCLos will boot ) 1). Make sure I have a boot CD for Mandrake 2). Install PCLos and finish with writing that lilo to MBR 3). Test the boot of PCLos 4). Boot Mandrake from boot CD 5). Restore Mandrake Lilo after adding PCLos Now, there is no need to reinstall PCLos, but make a boot CD for Mandrake ( you need that anyway ) . . then chroot to the PCLos partition and write that lilo to MBR with /sbin/lilo . . after that you can see if PCLos lilo will boot PCLos . . . If it does boot okay, we know we only have to add the settings to Drake's lilo and write that one to MBR . . . :D Bruno PS: If you want me to post you the chroot commands . . let me know :D

Hi Johann . . . here it is:$ su< password ># mkdir /mnt/hda6# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6# mount -t devfs none /mnt/hda6/dev# mount -t proc none /mnt/hda6/proc# chroot /mnt/hda6# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda # exit# umount /mnt/hda6/proc# umount /mnt/hda6/dev# umount /mnt/hda6# rebootB) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

I think DiskDrake can not handle it if there is a partition that is out of the ordinary. I had very similar problems until we figured out that my hda1 was in the wrong format! At least you have it working now. Way to go! :D-- Julia :D

I think DiskDrake can not handle it if there is a partition that is out of the ordinary.  I had very similar problems until we figured out that my hda1 was in the wrong format!  At least you have it working now. Way to go! :D-- Julia :D
Julia I have found a workaround but it still is not working.For each distro I have to install I'll have to use cfdisk then diskdrake.I don't like too much work would rather solve problem.But hey no one said life was perfect or we always get what we want. :D

In that case, Good Luck. :D Have you tried looking at your partitions in PC Los and seeing if you can get them showing up correctly there instead of Mandrake? I know it comes from the same basic program but who knows it could make a difference.--Julia :D

In that case, Good Luck.  :D  Have you tried looking at your partitions in PC Los and seeing if you can get them showing up correctly there instead of Mandrake? I know it comes from the same basic program but who knows it could make a difference.--Julia :D
Same problem Julia.Simple case of Murphy's Law:Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. :D

Johann . . Instructions updated . . :D ! ( crosspost ? )

$ su< password ># mkdir /mnt/hda6# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6# mount -t devfs none /mnt/hda6/dev# mount -t proc none /mnt/hda6/proc# chroot /mnt/hda6# /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hda# exit# umount /mnt/hda6/proc# umount /mnt/hda6/dev# umount /mnt/hda6# reboot

:D Bruno

That's ok Bruno I was able to make out essence and commands ran w/out a hitch.On reboot froze at Lilo but Owyn showed me that cool Esc trick it was stopping at undefined video mode I need to include vga=normal in my lilo;once I hit enter system booted.Success :D :D or at least part success I'll take what I can get I see something in my append that's missing in Mandrake's lilo devfs=mount.I'm going to add it and I'll be back; pls don't leave yet; wish me luck :D

Good luck Johann . . . Please for sake of documentation post the /ect/lilo.conf of PCLos you are in now . . . so we can refer to that later !

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

:D BrunoPS: will be on line for the next 1:30 minutes :D

PART 2Johann . . . I also want to see Mandrakes /etc/lilo.conf please . . . . . Once you have booted in Drake:

# cat /etc/lilo.conf

B) Bruno

Too late Bruno already back in Mandrake B) I got a chance to practice mounting and navigating o file I meant to do that.It worked lilo posted below:

boot=/dev/hda6map=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk        label="pclinuxos"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent"        vga=788        read-only

Still didn't work but it's something I'm missing so let me double check everything and then I'll post don't want to look too foolish B)

This one still says vga=788 . . and not vga=normal . . . . B) . . . anyway as long as it will be in Drake's Lilo . . :)Still want to see Mandrake's lilo.conf :DB) Bruno

Edited by Bruno

Mandrake's Lilo

image=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda1        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5"        read-onllyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="PCLosPv5"        root=/dev/hda6        initrd=/boot/Pclos/initrd-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk.img        append="devfs=mount splash=silent"        vga=normal        read-only

I've tried various combinations on append line adding resume portion;hdc portion;acpi portion; all still result in kernel panic.PcLos requires vga normal or boot stops indicating undefined video parameter mode passed on PcLos Lilo had to use Esc and enter to get passed that point in boot process.Some lines just above kernel panic:bin/insmod exited abnormallyerror 19 mounting ReiserfsAny suggestions if nothing else works guess wouldn't be too hard to make PcLos lilo the dafault boot manager.

Here is the mistake:

image=/boot/vmlinuz

This has to be

image=/boot/Pclos/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk

Sure you will first have to copy the vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk from /mnt/hda6/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk to /boot/Pclos/

$ su# mount /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6# cp  /mnt/hda6/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk   /boot/Pclos/ # umount /mnt/hda6

Also add in the appendline:

hdc=ide-scsi resume=/dev/hda5

B) BrunoPS: You were trying to boot PCLos with the Mandrake kernel . . that is why it did not work . . B)

Edited by Bruno

Success B) :w00t: :w00t: Bruno would you believe I checked that 3 times way careless B) Thx to you and Owyn B) ;) you guys are the best140 Posts later Mandrake working PCLos working wow!I hope my other installs go better.

Hurray !!! Congrats !!! Yes !! B) B) B) ;) :w00t:Great work Johann !!!!! . . . . Now we only have to add Slackware and DSL . . :w00t: :w00t: ( but keep that for tomorrow . . I'm finished . . .party time ! B) )Champagne !!champagne.gifB) Bruno

Anyway Bruno Mandrake is calling it /mnt/hd I haven't touched partition names all the partition labels are those provided by Mandrake.I cannot format in Reiserfs or Ext3 within Mandrake although Diskdrake reports no errors when I check back file type it is created as Linux Native partition which from my understanding is ext2 correct.
This is confirmed.In some cases, diskdrake is not creating a proper dev entry when creating the partition.This results in the make file system (eg. mk2fs, mkreiserfs, etc) not being able to stat the partition.Reading diskdrake now to see if I can find the bug.

Have not found cause of problem but have found workaround.Rebooting system after creating partition(s) cleans up /dev. Once /dev is correct, then partitions can be formatted.

Have not found cause of problem but have found workaround.Rebooting system after creating partition(s) cleans up /dev. Once /dev is correct, then partitions can be formatted.
Thanks Owyn . . good to know there is a work-around :rolleyes: :(:( Bruno