Critical IE and OE Updates

jbredmound

Information is here, courtesy of e-week.
Thanks for the info. Since the problems associated with "critical" update 811493 (another article on that site and others), I have become gun-shy to d/l all critical updates, as I used to. :( At this time, the WinXP side of my dual-boot is running fine, and I'd like to keep it that way; another one of life's dilemmas? :D

Guest LilBambi

jbredmound --Very good article :( The M$ links and info on these two updates and some info on the Win98 and Win98se upcoming demise (security update wise), is also in the Security and Networking Forum here:http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...st=0entry5636quint --I posted the WindowsUpdate post after I had very successfully updated my Win98se with both of these updates at 12:30 AM (yeah, needed some toothpicks by the time I was done to keep my eyes open, especially downloading on dialup :D ). It said I had 22 minutes to go the whole time I was downloading. Wish M$ would get their servers download time working right! :(

I too have have avoided most of MS's updates since SP1. The reason I switched to Mozilla was that I was tired of all the IE updates (one had caused me to have to re load XP). My system runs fine, I'll wait for an official Service Pack. But I will have a current Drive Image saved before I install that.

OK, but don't let your decision allow you to feel a bit safe.As some people on this board know, I am the guy who said he never had a problem with M$ updates. Well, I discovered that multiple problem that I had blamed on a trojan attack were, in fact, the result of installing W2K, SP3. Thanks to nline, I installed SP3 again, and the problems were all solved.So the question is this; do I stay up-to-date with patches, and risk whatever, or do I wait to install an SP, and risk whatever.Whatever!