Network Loom??

Shaun

hello i my question is what is a network loom. 2. its for my retail printing scale (meat scale). in the manual it talks about that you can connect them together with a serial cable in a network loom and thats all it says so i was wondering if i can do it wirelessly or what i need even to connect them thanks, shaun

Shaun, I'd like to welcome you to the forums. :) I'd also like to be able to answer your question, but even a Google search didn't return anything useful. I work with produce scales. But we don't network them. I hope one of our guru-Highlanders comes along with an answer for you.Until then, enjoy yourself here. Come around often. :url:

thanks for the welcome, the point to networking them is so that when i have to modify like 25 diferent PLUs time four scales, it gets a little repetitive, when you connect them i only have to do them once but it programs the other three.

What brand and model is the scale?For example this scale has these specs:Scales interface Through TCP/IP protocolIO Connections- Standard RS-232C- Optional network port- Optional external keyboard¡Ø Standalone type : RS-232C, Up/down load for PLU¡Ø Network type - Up/down load for PLU¡Ø Network type - Maintain sales data¡Ø Network type - TCP/IP ProtocolAnother scale has these specs:Network Option Board provides all the features of the Ingredient Board plus the ability to network up to eight CX17's

I believe a "network loom" is just a fancy way of referring to a network, in other words, a series of connected machines and devices. Sort of a topology. I make this logic jump by considering the definition of a Loom machine which is used to take individual pieces of yarn and weave them together into a whole piece of cloth. Did this happen to be a foreign language to English translation by chance? :w00t:

the scale is an avery berkel A100E an the port you would use to connect is the serial port and also i would like to know if i can make this wireless?? i found the manual at www.averyberkelusa.com if so then would sort if items would i need of the wireless or wired

Shaun,There were 2 manuals for your model that I downloaded from the Avery Berkel site. On page 63 (numbered at the bottom of the pages, page 66 in Adobe) of the 2nd manual, networking the scales is described in more detail, with step-by-step directions. The network loom is actually described as a special networking cable.Good Luck!

Guest LilBambi

LOL! Hey Sieb, you did the same thing I did ;)Found the same thing, but there is nothing on their site about the network loom cable, nor anywhere else. And it does appear to be a very specialized cable where you have to use the 'master pin' to designate the master scale.Much later in the same document, there is a mention of a small device that can be attached and used to set up the files and taken from scale to scale, is that what you are using now?Also, the site mentions their software MX400 (for the PC) is compatible with your model of scale but still no further info on the hardware needed to do this.I would definitely say this is one time when a phone call to the company is in order. ;)

The original question was about Wireless Connection to the Scales.I would not use the word impossible because in Technology a lot of things are possible if money is no object.However the hardware that is currently available on the market to deal with Ethernet Wireless Connection to non orthodox devices is a Wireless Client that does not need drivers and thus can be attached to a Non Computer. (I.e. Game Boxes etc.).Example: Linksys WET11 is such a device.There is also one USB device specifically for printers. I.e. it would turn a USB printer into a Wireless Printer Server.That means that unless you find some way to turn the Scales to communicate as an Ethernet device you probably can not go Wireless.Using Serial Interface to connect to computers and control Non Computer peripherals is pretty common (many Medical equipments work this way). However you need software provides by the manufacture, and serial cable that is compatible with your scale. These things are usually propriety, and I doubt that you will find a standard solution available elsewhere.OT: Linksys calls the WET11 Network Bridge. It is Not a Bridge by Wireless common definition, it is Driverless Wireless Client Device, but the Marketing department does care. I would not be surprise if the Loom falls into a similar category..