Zip Drive Problem

bjf123

I've got an old zip drive connected by the parallel port to my PC that dual boots Win98 and SuSE 8.2. A friend brought over a zip disk and was curious what was on it. I certainly didn't want to access it in Windows in case it had some nasties on it, so I booted into Linux. Now, my zip drive is rather persnickety. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. This time, I put the disk in and it sat there for quite a while just clicking. I tried to access the drive and got two quick pop up windows showing dev/sda4 in the window bar at the top and my system locked. No mouse control or keyboard control. Also, the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights were flashing in sync. I finally had to hold the power button in to shut off the PC. If I try to access the zip drive in Windows while it's still clicking, I just get an error that the drive is not ready. Any idea what happened?I rebooted and this time let the disk stay in the drive until is stopped clicking. I was then able to access the drive, though I did get a message that the drive was already mounted. The disk only contained one file, called 50ways.exe. I clicked on it and got a popup that Wine was already installed, but that I needed to reconfigure it. How the heck do I do that?

Good, I was afraid it already caught infamous "click of death" :).50ways.exe is installing software that comes with all new zip disks preloaded.My first thing to do was to delete that file for good, every time I've got new zip.I've got my zip drive somewhere in a basement, fighting with my headless server, forgotten long time ago ;) Mine was/is IDE, not parallel though.It was always flaky, the only good working zip was on mac.

Looks like the hot-plug function of SUSE does work okay and does configure your zip at boot . . . . :) . . . how to configure Wine is beyond me, but Julia is better educated in emulators . . . . hope she will drop in to give you a few tips :o:) Bruno