PCLos PV5 Tips

Owyn

Welcome to PcLinuxOs Preview 5.This thread has tips and answers to frequently asked questions about this GREAT (ok, I am biased) distro.If you have any problems using PCLos PV5, or questions about this FAQ, post here.DO NOT POST ANY QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO THE TIPS, THEY WILL BE DELETED OR MOVED.If you would like to become part of the PCLos test crew at All Things Linux, signup hereIf you have something you would like added to the distro, post here.Tip IndexGetting StartedGetting started with PcLinuxOs Preview 5.Known Hardware problems with PV5PV5 Requires 256MBHow to check LiveCDBooting the Live CDCheat CodesMore Cheatcodes - Kernel ParametersDoes "livecd home=usb" work in PV5?Problems after BootKmidi "Can't open Output Device"Where has my funky rotating cpu usage cube gone?I am having problems with my soundDo usb storage devices work in PV5?No network connection after bootInstalling to Hard DiskInstalling to a Hard Drive does not workHow do I add back my windows partition for dual booting now that lilo has been installed in my master boot record?How should I install the bootloader?PV5 Hard Disc Install - Step-by-StepDiskDrake won't format new partitionReiserFS most reliable PV5 partition formatAfter Installing to Hard DiskHow to Play a DVD with PV5What about Mandrake Updates?Using PcLinuxOs MirrorsUsing PLF with PCLosUsing apt-get with PCLosOther (Work in Progress)My CD burner does not work after installing to the hard diskHow do I update my existing multi-boot configuration from PCLos?tbd

Edited by Owyn

How to Play a DVD with PV5Encrypted DVD support is not shipped on the CD but is available from the PCLos apt repository.To access the apt repository you must first Install PV5 to Hard Disc. The CD /usr directories are read only.After installing PV5 to HD you can update your software using apt/synaptic or apt-get.To access synaptic from the KDE desktop useKDE->Configuration->Packaging->SynapticSynaptic should start and automatically connect to the PCLos PV5 repository. Wait a minute for the list of installed/available packages. Enter the root password when requested. The default password for root is root.To install DVD Block Mode with DeCSS support:-Scroll down to and select "libdvdcss2"-Click the "+Install" button on the lower right-Click the "Execute" button on the top menubar-Wait for installation to complete-Exit synapticTo install via apt-get, start a console and then$ su# apt-get update# apt-get install libdvdcss2Installation should complete quickly, even on dialup. It is a small package.The next steps require a root console.KDE->Terminals->Konsole and$ suFrom the console we need to:Locate your DVD device# dmesg | grep DVDNote the device for your DVD. In my case (and for this example) it is hdc.Next step is to create a symlink for the dvd device.# cd /dev# ln -s /dev/hdc dvdReplace hdc with the correct device for your system.And now lets test the DVD. First exit root mode.# exitNow insert a DVD into your DVD driveThen$ mplayer -dvd 1This tests the command line mplayer. The advantages of this player are:-It almost always works-If it does not, you can check your console log for specific error messagesIf your audio is muted then runKDE->MultiMedia->Sound->Aumixand adjust Master and PCM volume controls.Press "q" to exit mplayer.Have Fun!!!

Edited by Owyn

Kmidi "Can't open Output Device"Cause: aRts server not running.Fix:KDE->Configuration->KDE Control Center->Sound->Sound SystemCheck "Start aRts sound server on KDE startup".Apply change. Exit.Logout, Log back in.

I am having problems with my soundThe most frequent cause of problems is muted sound.PCLos includes ATL's soundchk.sh v1.02 in /usr/local/binThe first step in checking for problems is to run the script.$ su# soundchk.shYour output should look like

[guest@localhost dev]$ suPassword:[root@localhost dev]# soundchk.shsoundchk.sh v1.02 - Running Sound Configuration ChecksIdentifying SystemLinux localhost 2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk #1 Fri Dec 19 02:01:35 CET 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/LinuxChecking Deviceslr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        10 Jan 23 02:51 adsp -> sound/adsplr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        11 Jan 23 02:51 audio -> sound/audiolr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        12 Jan 23 02:51 dmmidi -> sound/dmmidilr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root            9 Jan 23 02:51 dsp -> sound/dsplr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        10 Jan 23 02:51 midi -> sound/midilr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        11 Jan 23 02:51 mixer -> sound/mixerlr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        15 Jan 23 02:51 sequencer -> sound/sequencerlr-xr-xr-x    1 root  root        16 Jan 23 02:51 sequencer2 -> sound/sequencer2drwxr-xr-x    1 root  root            0 Dec 31  1969 soundChecking Driversnd-cs46xx      : Cirrus Logic|CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1013 device:6003 subv:5053 subd:3357)Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modules.conf)above snd-cs46xx snd-pcm-ossalias sound-slot-0 snd-cs46xxChecking if Module Loadedsnd-seq-midi            4704 0  (autoclean) (unused)snd-seq-oss            30208 0  (unused)snd-seq-midi-event      6144 0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss]snd-seq                44656 2  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event]snd-pcm-oss            43076 0snd-mixer-oss          13712 1  [snd-pcm-oss]snd-cs46xx          78056 1snd-pcm                79684 0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-cs46xx]snd-timer              18628 0  [snd-seq snd-pcm]snd-ac97-codec      52588 0  [snd-cs46xx]snd-rawmidi            17312 0  [snd-seq-midi snd-cs46xx]snd-seq-device          5536 0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss snd-seq snd-rawmidi]gameport                3284 0  [snd-cs46xx]snd-page-alloc          8628 0  [snd-cs46xx snd-pcm]snd                    43972 0  [snd-seq-midi snd-seq-oss snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-cs46xx snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]soundcore            6276 0  [snd]Checking if services configured to be run on initlevel 3Checking if Sound services configuredsound        0:off 1:off 2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:offChecking if Alsa service configuredalsa            0:off 1:off 2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:offChecking if Sound Volume mutedvol 100, 100, Ppcm 77, 77speaker 0, 0line 0, 0, Pmic 0, 0, Rcd 100, 100, Ppcm2 0, 0igain 0, 0line1 0, 0, Pline2 0, 0phin 0, 0, Pvideo 0, 0, PChecking which program uses the sound cardEnd of Checks[root@localhost dev]
Muted volumes show in the "Checking if Sound Volume muted" section of the output. The critical controls are "vol", "pcm" and "cd".If you have muted volumes then runKDE->MultiMedia->Sound->Aumixand adjust these controls.If you are still having problems after adjusting volumes then please post a problem report on the support thread and include a copy of the output from soundchk.sh.

Where has my funky rotating cpu usage cube gone?PV5 is having problems with 3D video.The kcube cpu usage applet is running but the cube may not be visible.If you have this problem, then, you will find that the 3D test program "glxgears -info" also fails.No solution available at the moment.

Installing to a Hard Drive does not workFirst, make sure you have checked the Documentation.Note:

> Tried installing PV5, but the first time, process stopped at 100% (all> 3 progress bars), with "Creating /etc/fstab" in the Progress Info box.If you get "Creating /etc/fstab" AND the NEXT button is available for clicking means it is ready to go to the next step. This seems to be a little confusing to some people as they see the "Creating /etc/fstab" and are waiting for some other message saying "Complete! Click next to continue".
If, after reviewing the procedures you are still having problems then you may have run into a bug in the installer.I will need a bug log emailed to me in that case. To produce the log, please run the install (as root) from a console and pipe the output to a logfile.The log will be approximately 4.5MB in size and is best directed to a mounted hard disk partition.In my case, my Mdk92 boot partition is hda7 so I use /mnt/hda7/tmp for the log.eg:$ su -# `which livecd-install` 2>&1 > /mnt/hda7/tmp/debug.logThe log should be tarred and zipped prior to mailingeg:# cd /mnt/hda7/tmp# tar -czf debug.log.tz debug.logSend me the logfile at owyn.tux at sympatico.ca, detailing the problem/issue you were having.This should help the developers find the issue and fix it. Edited by Owyn

My CD burner does not work after installing to the hard diskThe HD installer does not include the hdx=ide-scsi boot option in it's lilo append.Edit your lilo append to include, eg. hdd=ide-scsi.Where hdd is the device for your burner.This post is being reworked. Updates as soon as tested.

Edited by Owyn

How do I add back my windows partition for dual booting now that lilo has been installed in my master boot record.Launch Master Control CenterKDE->Configuration->Configure your computerIn MCCClick on BootClick on DrakbootIn DrakbootClick on ConfigureClick on OKClick on AddClick on Other OS (Windows)Select the partitionClick on okWindows will now be available from your Lilo boot menu.

Does "livecd home=usb" work in PV5?Not very well.There are known problems, limitations, and sparse support (actually very lightly tested) of Persistent Partitions.What is a Persistent PartitionTechnically a Persistent Partition is any partition on any mountable device (including usb storage) which contains a "livecd.mnt" file in the root directory of the partititon.Functionally it is the /home partition for a Livecd boot.The gospel from the developer

> Unfortunately, it is untested. I've made fixes for it about a month> ago an never got around to trying it out, but rather got stuck in> fixing issues on the creation, hwdetection and installation.Ok, I have some good news and some bad news. First the good news. Initial mounting works as expected. I assume that your keys have been used in a previous try. To get it to work, the format of the key file has been changed, and the a looped ext2 image is now used to get past the vfat issues.Clean them first before trying to use. At the very least, remove the old/previous (PV4) "livecd.mnt" file, and it will create an image when you boot with "home=usb" which will result in the key being properly used.Now for the bad news. The above was the part I tested. The part I didn't test was the use in subsequent boots. Yes, you guessed it - it doesn't mount /home again. So we are 50% there. I will fix that now. Sorry :(As an aside - it should be a good time to start compiling a list of keys that does work. I know Tex tested with 3 keys that didn't work. Your 3 (test them following my instructions) should be a good start to the list. Here is mine:1. Mecer, Mobile Hard Disk, 128MB (Don't ask, it is a re-packaged something on sale here in South Africa)> PS: Please send me your fstab from PV5 and the output from "mount".Your mount should contain something along the lines of "/mnt/usb0/livecd.img    /home" when it works. (Same with fstab...)Jaco
> Now for the bad news. The above was the part I tested. The part I> didn't test was the use in subsequent boots. Yes, you guessed it - it> doesn't mount /home again. So we are 50% there. I will fix that now.> Sorry :(Damnit. One small irritating typo. Fixed for PV6. Damnit.Now might be a good time to explain how persistent partitions, including a persistent home works. 1. When we boot, we look at a file called "livecd.mnt" on all partitions, including USB devices. When found it is a candidate for persistence. This file is read, and when it contains an entry "mount=/<someplace>" it will mount that partition at that point. So if you want to make your /var persistent, you could create a file containg that one entry (mount=/var).However, for vfat devices, like USB, softlinks are not supported. For these devices the "livecd.mnt" file contains an entry "loop=/home" which means to mount an "livecd.img" ext2 loopback device at the specified "loop" point. (This is the part that was broken.)2. USB /home devices: (Creating persistent home) When we find a USB device, we create an ext2 loopback image, livecd.img, of 50% of the available space on the device. In addition the livecd.mnt file is created, (containing "loop=/home") to allow for use on subsequent boots. (Well, that will be the case in PV6.)3. If you really want to get the USB key working right now, there is a way... Format the device ext2. (vfat doesn't like symlinks, hence the DCOP error.) Create a file "livecd.mnt" on the device:$ echo >/mnt/usb0/livecd.mnt << EOFmount=/homeEOF$ cp -aR /home/* /mnt/usb0/Reboot. Now step 1 as detailed above will kick in and you have your /home persistent. (You can also do this for any partition that you want persistent.)Jaco

Known Hardware problems with PV5This post is a work in progress. Details will be added as known.Check back if you have problems booting CD.Please post any new problems on the support thread.MemoryLiveCd requires 256MB to boot.MotherboardnForce2 motherboards may need "livecd noapic nolapic acpi=off"AudioCreative SB Live!, Audigy, Audigy 2: Some motherboards may require "livecd noapic" or "livecd noapic nolapic". Try this if no sound and the other sound trouble shooting tips do not work.Dell SB Live! Value are not standard Creative cards. No solution at the moment to make them work. Impacts Dell Dimension 8250 systems in particular.VideoATI 8500 - 9700: Needs "livecd xbpp=24". May also require xres, eg: "livecd xbpp=24 xres=1024x768".NetworkSome NIC's may require "livecd noscsi". Try this if you don't have a network connection after boot.NotebooksOther

Edited by Owyn

Getting started with PcLinuxOs Preview 5.There is a new site that goes along with the release.Release NotesMirrorsCheat CodesDocumentationThe recommended mirror is nluug.nl

[owyn@Mdk92 PCLos PV5]$ ls -latotal 699545-rw-rw-r--    1 owyn    owyn          109 Jan 22 10:14 logininfo.txt-rw-rw-r--    1 owyn    owyn          56 Jan 22 10:14 md5sum.asc-rw-rw-r--    1 owyn    owyn    716322816 Jan 22 12:33 pclinuxos-1.20.04.iso[owyn@Mdk92 PCLos PV5]$ cat md5sum.asc48220d17cb71727bedeb771168581e98  pclinuxos-1.20.04.iso[owyn@Mdk92 PCLos PV5]$ md5sum -c md5sum.ascpclinuxos-1.20.04.iso: OK

PV5 Requires 256MBYou must have at least 256MB Ram on your system to boot Preview 5 LiveCD.This minimum was caused by adding Samba Server to the CD. Unfortunately it added several large files to /etc which later caused the boot ram disk to overflow.Tex is working on a fix for lower memory systems for PV6.

No network connection after bootSome NICs are not getting set up properly during the boot.The two most frequent cures to the problems are:-Boot with "livecd noscsi". Not an option on scsi systems. Sorry Adam.-Run "/sbin/mii-tool -R -r" after logging in and reset the interface.Please post details identifying your Network Card and Motherboard if you need to use one of these solutions.

Edited by Owyn

How to check LiveCDHuge thanks to Bruno for the details on getting this tip to work.See ATL Tips: MD5SUM of an ALREADY BURNED CD and CHECK CD SCRIPTfor background and information on how to create the checkcd script.When/Why should I use this procedureWhen: Either before booting for the first time, or, you are getting CD read errors. Best time is immediately after burning the CD.Why: You are paranoid/anal (I am) or you are having problems. GotchasThe script requires isoinfo. If it is not installed the most likely package to contain it is cdrecord.Do not run this test on a busy system. I received false errors while playing music at same time as I ran the test.Clean your CD. The error can easily be caused by a dirty CD.Clean your CD drive. I use a Recoton Laser-Matic CD Lens Cleaner. Has fixed many can't read this CD/DVD problems.Example for PV5

[root@localhost scripts]# ./checkcd /dev/cdrom | md5sumdd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=349767 conv=notrunc,noerror349767+0 records in349767+0 records out48220d17cb71727bedeb771168581e98  -[guest@localhost PCLos PV5]$ cat md5sum.asc48220d17cb71727bedeb771168581e98  pclinuxos-1.20.04.iso
Perfect. md5sum's match. Edited by Owyn

What about Mandrake Updates?Mandrake updates should not be applied directly to PCLos.They may conflict with Tex's packaging.Tex reviews updates as released and pre-tests them on PCLos.When tested, they are added to the PCLos apt repository.Run "Update List" in synaptic to get an up to date list of packages.or$ su# apt-get update# apt-get upgradeTo quickly update your system from the command line.

Edited by Owyn

More Cheatcodes - Kernel ParametersFor reference: Not guaranteed that all will work in PCLos PV5.

[root@localhost guest]# locate kernel-param/usr/src/linux-2.4.23-2.tmb.2mdk/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt[root@localhost guest]# cat `locate kernel-param`July 2000                 Kernel Parameters                     v2.4.0                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The following is a consolidated list of the kernel parameters as implementedby the __setup() macro and sorted into English Dictionary order (definedas ignoring all punctuation and sorting digits before letters in a caseinsensitive manner), and with descriptions where known.The text in square brackets at the beginning of the description state therestrictions on the kernel for the said kernel parameter to be valid. Therestrictions referred to are that the relevant option is valid if:        ACPI    ACPI support is enabled.        APIC    APIC support is enabled.        APM     Advanced Power Management support is enabled.        AX25    Appropriate AX.25 support is enabled.        BADRAM  Support for faulty RAM chips is enabled.        CD      Appropriate CD support is enabled.        DEVFS   devfs support is enabled.        DRM     Direct Rendering Management support is enabled.        EFI     EFI Partitioning (GPT) is enabled        EIDE    EIDE/ATAPI support is enabled.        FB      The frame buffer device is enabled.        HW      Appropriate hardware is enabled.        IA-32   IA-32 aka i386 architecture is enabled.        IA-64   IA-64 architecture is enabled.        IP_PNP  IP DCHP, BOOTP, or RARP is enabled.        ISAPNP  ISA PnP code is enabled.        ISDN    Appropriate ISDN support is enabled.        JOY     Appropriate joystick support is enabled.        LP      Printer support is enabled.        LOOP    Loopback device support is enabled.        M68k    M68k architecture is enabled.        MCA     MCA bus support is enabled.        MDA     MDA console support is enabled.        MOUSE   Appropriate mouse support is enabled.        NET     Appropriate network support is enabled.        NFS     Appropriate NFS support is enabled.        PARIDE  The ParIDE subsystem is enabled.        PCI     PCI bus support is enabled.        PCMCIA  The PCMCIA subsystem is enabled.        PNP     Plug & Play support is enabled.        PPT     Parallel port support is enabled.        PS2     Appropriate PS/2 support is enabled.        RAM     RAM disk support is enabled.        SCSI    Appropriate SCSI support is enabled.        SERIAL  Serial support is enabled.        SMP     The kernel is an SMP kernel.        SOUND   Appropriate sound system support is enabled.        SWSUSP  Software suspension is enabled.        V4L     Video For Linux support is enabled.        VGA     The VGA console has been enabled.        VT      Virtual terminal support is enabled.        XT      IBM PC/XT MFM hard disk support is enabled.In addition, the following text indicates that the option:        BUGS=   Relates to possible processor bugs on the said processor.        KNL     Is a kernel start-up parameter.        BOOT    Is a boot loader parameter.Parameters denoted with BOOT are actually interpreted by the bootloader, and have no meaning to the kernel directly.Note that ALL kernel parameters listed below are CASE SENSITIVE, and thata trailing = on the name of any parameter states that that parameter willbe entered as an environment variable, whereas its absence indicates thatit will appear as a kernel argument readable via /proc/cmdline by programsrunning once the system is up.        53c7xx=         [HW,SCSI] Amiga SCSI controllers.        acpi=           [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface                force   Force ACPI on, even if blacklisted platform                off     Disable ACPI                ht      Limit ACPI to boot-time LAPIC enumeration for HT,                        disabling the run-time AML interpreter.        acpi_pic_sci=   [HW,ACPI] ACPI System Conrol Interrupt trigger mode                level   Force PIC-mode SCI to Level Trigger (default)                edge    Force PIC-mode SCI to Edge Trigger        acpi_irq_balance        ACPI will balance active IRQs        acpi_irq_nobalance      ACPI will not move active IRQs        acpi_irq_pci=   If irq_balance, Clear listed IRQs for use by PCI        acpi_irq_isa=   If irq_balance, Mark listed IRQs used by ISA        ad1816=         [HW,SOUND]        ad1848=         [HW,SOUND]        adb_buttons=    [HW,MOUSE]        adlib=          [HW,SOUND]        advansys=       [HW,SCSI]        aedsp16=        [HW,SOUND]        aha152x=        [HW,SCSI]        aha1542=        [HW,SCSI]        aic7xxx=        [HW,SCSI]        AM53C974=       [HW,SCSI]        amijoy=         [HW,JOY] Amiga joystick support        apm=            [APM] Advanced Power Management.        applicom=       [HW]        arcrimi=        [HW,NET]        ataflop=        [HW,M68k]        atarimouse=     [HW,MOUSE] Atari Mouse.        atascsi=        [HW,SCSI] Atari SCSI.        awe=            [HW,SOUND]        aztcd=          [HW,CD] Aztec CD driver.        badram=         [BADRAM] Avoid allocating faulty RAM addresses.        baycom_epp=     [HW,AX25]        baycom_par=     [HW,AX25] BayCom Parallel Port AX.25 Modem.        baycom_ser_fdx= [HW,AX25] BayCom Serial Port AX.25 Modem in Full                        Duplex Mode.        baycom_ser_hdx= [HW,AX25] BayCom Serial Port AX.25 Modem in Half                        Duplex Mode.        bmouse=         [HW,MOUSE,PS2] Bus mouse.        bttv.card=      [HW,V4L] bttv (bt848 + bt878 based grabber cards), most        bttv.radio=     important insmod options are available as kernel args too.        bttv.pll=       see Documentation/video4linux/bttv/Insmod-options        bttv.tuner=     and Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST        BusLogic=       [HW,SCSI]        cdu31a=         [HW,CD]        chandev=        [HW,NET]        cm206=          [HW,CD]        com20020=       [HW,NET]        com90io=        [HW,NET]        com90xx=        [HW,NET]        condev=         [HW]        console=        [KNL] output console + comm spec (speed, control,                        parity).        cpia_pp=        [HW,PPT]        cs4232=         [HW,SOUND]        cs89x0_dma=     [HW,NET]        ctc=            [HW,NET]        cyclades=       [HW,SERIAL] Cyclades multi-serial port adapter.        dasd=           [HW,NET]        db9=            [HW,JOY]        db9_2=          [HW,JOY]        db9_3=          [HW,JOY]        debug           [KNL] Enable kernel debugging (events log level).        decnet=         [HW,NET]        devfs=          [DEVFS]        digi=           [HW,SERIAL] io parameters + enable/disable command.        digiepca=       [HW,SERIAL]        dmascc=         [HW,AX25,SERIAL] AX.25 Z80SCC driver with DMA                        support available.        dmasound=       [HW,SOUND] (sound subsystem buffers).        dtc3181e=       [HW,SCSI]        eata=           [HW,SCSI]        eda=            [HW,PS2]        edb=            [HW,PS2]        eicon=          [HW,ISDN]        es1370=         [HW,SOUND]        es1371=         [HW,SOUND]        ether=          [HW,NET] Ethernet cards parameters (irq,                        base_io_addr, mem_start, mem_end, name.                        (mem_start is often overloaded to mean something                        different and driver-specific).        fd_mcs=         [HW,SCSI]        fdomain=        [HW,SCSI]        floppy=         [HW]        ftape=          [HW] Floppy Tape subsystem debugging options.        gamma=          [HW,DRM]        gc=             [HW,JOY]        gc_2=           [HW,JOY]        gc_3=           [HW,JOY]        gdth=           [HW,SCSI]        gpt             [EFI] Forces disk with valid GPT signature but                        invalid Protective MBR to be treated as GPT.        gscd=           [HW,CD]        gus=            [HW,SOUND]        gvp11=          [HW,SCSI]        hd=             [EIDE] (E)IDE hard drive subsystem geometry                        (Cyl/heads/sectors) or tune parameters.        hfmodem=        [HW,AX25]        hisax=          [HW,ISDN]        i810=           [HW,DRM]        ibmmcascsi=     [HW,MCA,SCSI] IBM MicroChannel SCSI adapter.        icn=            [HW,ISDN]        ide?=           [HW] (E)IDE subsystem : config (iomem/irq), tuning or                        debugging (serialize,reset,no{dma,tune,probe}) or                        chipset specific parameters.        idebus=         [HW] (E)IDE subsystem : VLB/PCI bus speed.        idle=           [HW]        in2000=         [HW,SCSI]        init=           [KNL]        initrd=         [BOOT] Specify the location of the initial ramdisk.        ip=             [IP_PNP]        isapnp=         [ISAPNP] Specify RDP, reset, pci_scan and verbosity.        isapnp_reserve_irq= [ISAPNP] Exclude IRQs for the autoconfiguration.        isapnp_reserve_dma= [ISAPNP] Exclude DMAs for the autoconfiguration.        isapnp_reserve_io= [ISAPNP] Exclude I/O ports for the autoconfiguration.                                    Ranges are in pairs (I/O port base and size).        isapnp_reserve_mem= [ISAPNP] Exclude memory regions for the autoconfiguration.                                     Ranges are in pairs (memory base and size).        isp16=          [HW,CD]        iucv=           [HW,NET]        js=             [HW,JOY] Analog joystick        kbd-reset       [VT]        keepinitrd      [HW, ARM]        lapic           [IA-32,APIC] Enable the local APIC even if BIOS disabled it.        load_ramdisk=   [RAM] List of ramdisks to load from floppy.        lockd.udpport=  [NFS]        lockd.tcpport=  [NFS]        logi_busmouse=  [HW, MOUSE]        lp=0            [LP]    Specify parallel ports to use, e.g,        lp=port[,port...]       lp=none,parport0 (lp0 not configured, lp1 uses        lp=reset                first parallel port). 'lp=0' disables the        lp=auto                 printer driver. 'lp=reset' (which can be                                specified in addition to the ports) causes                                attached printers to be reset. Using                                lp=port1,port2,... specifies the parallel ports                                to associate lp devices with, starting with                                lp0. A port specification may be 'none' to skip                                that lp device, or a parport name such as                                'parport0'. Specifying 'lp=auto' instead of a                                port specification list means that device IDs                                from each port should be examined, to see if                                an IEEE 1284-compliant printer is attached; if                                so, the driver will manage that printer.        ltpc=           [HW]        mac5380=        [HW,SCSI]        mac53c9x=       [HW,SCSI]        mad16=          [HW,SOUND]        maui=           [HW,SOUND]        max_loop=[0-255] [LOOP] Set the maximum number of loopback devices                                that can be mounted.        maxcpus=        [SMP] States the maximum number of processors that                        an SMP kernel should make use of.        max_scsi_luns=  [SCSI]        mca-pentium     [BUGS=IA-32]        mcd=            [HW,CD]        mcdx=           [HW,CD]        md=             [HW] RAID subsystems devices and level.        mdisk=          [HW]        mdacon=         [MDA]        megaraid=       [HW,SCSI]        mem=exactmap    [KNL,BOOT,IA-32] enable setting of an exact                        e820 memory map, as specified by the user.                        Such mem=exactmap lines can be constructed                        based on BIOS output or other requirements.        mem=nn[KMG]     [KNL,BOOT] force use of a specific amount of                        memory; to be used when the kernel is not able                        to see the whole system memory or for test.        mem=nn[KMG]@ss[KMG]                        [KNL,BOOT] Force usage of a specific region of memory                        Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.        mem=nn[KMG]#ss[KMG]                        [KNL,BOOT,ACPI] Mark specific memory as ACPI data.                        Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.        mem=nn[KMG]$ss[KMG]                        [KNL,BOOT,ACPI] Mark specific memory as reserved.                        Region of memory to be used, from ss to ss+nn.        memfrac=        [KNL]        mga=            [HW,DRM]        mpu401=         [HW,SOUND]        msmouse=        [HW,MOUSE] Microsoft Mouse.        ncr5380=        [HW,SCSI]        ncr53c400=      [HW,SCSI]        ncr53c400a=     [HW,SCSI]        ncr53c406a=     [HW,SCSI]        ncr53c8xx=      [HW,SCSI]        netdev=         [NET] Ethernet cards parameters (irq,                        base_io_addr, mem_start, mem_end, name.                        (mem_start is often overloaded to mean something                        different and driver-specific).                        (cf: ether=)        nfsaddrs=       [NFS]        nfsroot=        [NFS] nfs root filesystem for disk-less boxes.        nmi_watchdog=   [KNL,BUGS=IA-32] debugging features for SMP kernels.        no387           [BUGS=IA-32] Tells the kernel to use the 387 maths                        emulation library even if a 387 maths coprocessor                        is present.        noalign         [KNL,ARM]        noapic          [SMP,APIC] Tells the kernel not to make use of any                        APIC that may be present on the system.        noasync         [HW, M68K] Disables async and sync negotiation for                        all devices.        nocache         [ARM]        nodisconnect    [HW,SCSI, M68K] Disables SCSI disconnects.        nohlt           [BUGS=ARM]        no-hlt          [BUGS=IA-32] Tells the kernel that the hlt                        instruction doesn't work correctly and not to                        use it.        noisapnp        [ISAPNP] Disables ISA PnP code.        noinitrd        [RAM] Tells the kernel not to load any configured                        initial RAM disk.        nointroute      [IA-64]        noresume        [SWSUSP] Disables resume and restore original swap space.        nolapic         [IA-32,APIC] Do not enable or use the local APIC.        no-scroll       [VGA]        nosmp           [SMP] Tells an SMP kernel to act as a UP kernel.        nosync          [HW, M68K] Disables sync negotiation for all devices.        notsc           [BUGS=IA-32] Disable Time Stamp Counter        nowb            [ARM]        opl3=           [HW,SOUND]        opl3sa=         [HW,SOUND]        opl3sa2=        [HW,SOUND]        optcd=          [HW,CD]        panic=          [KNL] kernel behaviour on panic.        parport=0       [HW,PPT]        Specify parallel ports. 0 disables.        parport=auto                    Use 'auto' to force the driver to use        parport=0xBBB[,IRQ[,DMA]]       any IRQ/DMA settings detected (the                                        default is to ignore detected IRQ/DMA                                        settings because of possible                                        conflicts). You can specify the base                                        address, IRQ, and DMA settings; IRQ and                                        DMA should be numbers, or 'auto' (for                                        using detected settings on that                                        particular port), or 'nofifo' (to avoid                                        using a FIFO even if it is detected).                                        Parallel ports are assigned in the                                        order they are specified on the command                                        line, starting with parport0.        pas2=           [HW,SOUND]        pas16=          [HW,SCSI]        pcbit=          [HW,ISDN]        pcd.            [PARIDE]        pci=option[,option...]          [PCI] various PCI subsystem options:                off                     [IA-32] don't probe for the PCI bus                bios                    [IA-32] force use of PCI BIOS, don't access                                        the hardware directly. Use this if your machine                                        has a non-standard PCI host bridge.                nobios                  [IA-32] disallow use of PCI BIOS, only direct                                        hardware access methods are allowed. Use this                                        if you experience crashes upon bootup and you                                        suspect they are caused by the BIOS.                conf1                   [IA-32] Force use of PCI Configuration Mechanism 1.                conf2                   [IA-32] Force use of PCI Configuration Mechanism 2.                nosort                  [IA-32] Don't sort PCI devices according to                                        order given by the PCI BIOS. This sorting is done                                        to get a device order compatible with older kernels.                biosirq                 [IA-32] Use PCI BIOS calls to get the interrupt                                        routing table. These calls are known to be buggy                                        on several machines and they hang the machine when used,                                        but on other computers it's the only way to get the                                        interrupt routing table. Try this option if the kernel                                        is unable to allocate IRQs or discover secondary PCI                                        buses on your motherboard.                rom                     [IA-32] Assign address space to expansion ROMs.                                        Use with caution as certain devices share address                                        decoders between ROMs and other resources.                irqmask=0xMMMM          [IA-32] Set a bit mask of IRQs allowed to be assigned                                        automatically to PCI devices. You can make the kernel                                        exclude IRQs of your ISA cards this way.                lastbus=N               [IA-32] Scan all buses till bus #N. Can be useful                                        if the kernel is unable to find your secondary buses                                        and you want to tell it explicitly which ones they are.                assign-busses           [IA-32] Always assign all PCI bus                                        numbers ourselves, overriding                                        whatever the firmware may have                                        done.        pd.             [PARIDE]        pf.             [PARIDE]        pg.             [PARIDE]        pirq=           [SMP,APIC] mp-table.        plip=           [PPT,NET] Parallel port network link.        profile=        [KNL] enable kernel profiling via /proc/profile                        (param: profile step/bucket size as a power of 2)        prompt_ramdisk= [RAM] List of RAM disks to prompt for floppy disk                        before loading.        pss=            [HW,SOUND]        pt.             [PARIDE]        quiet=          [KNL] Disable log messages.        r128=           [HW,DRM]        raid=           [HW,RAID]        ramdisk=        [RAM] Sizes of RAM disks in kilobytes [deprecated].        ramdisk_blocksize=                        [RAM]        ramdisk_size=   [RAM] New name for the ramdisk parameter.        ramdisk_start=  [RAM] Starting block of RAM disk image (so you can                        place it after the kernel image on a boot floppy).        reboot=         [BUGS=IA-32]        reserve=        [KNL,BUGS] force the kernel to ignore some iomem area.        resume=         [SWSUSP] specify the partition device for software suspension.        riscom8=        [HW,SERIAL]        ro              [KNL] Mount root device read-only on boot.        root=           [KNL] root filesystem.        rootflags=      [KNL] set root filesystem mount option string        rootfstype=     [KNL] set root filesystem type        rw              [KNL] Mount root device read-write on boot.        S               [KNL] run init in single mode.        sb=             [HW,SOUND]        sbpcd=          [HW,CD] Soundblaster CD adapter.        scsi_logging=   [SCSI]        scsihosts=      [SCSI]        sg_def_reserved_size=                        [SCSI]        sgalaxy=        [HW,SOUND]        sim710=         [SCSI,HW]        sjcd=           [HW,CD]        smart2=         [HW]        sonicvibes=     [HW,SOUND]        sonycd535=      [HW,CD]        sound=          [SOUND]        soundmodem=     [HW,AX25,SOUND] Use sound card as packet radio modem.        specialix=      [HW,SERIAL] Specialix multi-serial port adapter.        sscape=         [HW,SOUND]        st=             [HW,SCSI] SCSI tape parameters (buffers, etc.).        st0x=           [HW,SCSI]        stram_swap=     [HW]        swiotlb=        [IA-64] Number of I/O TLB slabs.        switches=       [HW, M68K]        sym53c416=      [HW,SCSI]        sym53c8xx=      [HW,SCSI]        t128=           [HW,SCSI]        tdfx=           [HW,DRM]        tgfx=           [HW,JOY]        tgfx_2=         [HW,JOY]        tgfx_3=         [HW,JOY]        tmc8xx=         [HW,SCSI]        tmscsim=        [HW,SCSI]        tp720=          [HW,PS2]        trix=           [HW,SOUND]        u14-34f=        [HW,SCSI]        uart401=        [HW,SOUND]        uart6850=       [HW,SOUND]        usbfix          [BUGS=IA-64]        video=          [FB] frame buffer configuration.        vga=            [BOOT] on ix386, select a particular video mode                        (use vga=ask for menu).  This is actually a                        boot loader parameter; the value is passed to                        the kernel using a special protocol.  See                        linux/Documentation/i386/boot.txt for information.        vmhalt=         [KNL,S390]        vmpoff=         [KNL,S390]        waveartist=     [HW,SOUND]        wd33c93=        [HW,SCSI]        wd7000=         [HW,SCSI]        wdt=            [HW]        xd=             [HW,XT] Original XT pre-IDE (RLL encoded) disks.        xd_geo=         [HW,XT]

Using PcLinuxOs MirrorsPCLos PV5 uses apt/synaptic for software distribution.The file which describes where and how you find and retrieve packages is /etc/apt/sources.list.The following is a tested sources.list for all currently functioning PCLos apt repositories:

#PCLINUXOS apt repository#rpm http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstarrpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsite/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar

To change to a different repository uncomment (ie. remove the # at the beginning of it's line) it's definition and comment out (ie. add a # at the beginning of it's line) the current repository.Then, start synaptic and "Update List" to refresh the package list for your new source.This example uses the nluug repository, the fastest of the set.FYI: Time to complete "Update List" for each source was:ibiblio 34 secgatech 116 secnluug 20 secgwgd 46 secThe ibiblio source is the master for the mirrors. It will always have the latest submissions from Tex. The mirrors all sync in less than 24 hours. You should only use ibiblio if you can not find a specific recent file.

Using PLF with PCLosThe Penguin Liberation Front (PLF) Mandrake 9.2 rpms may sometimes be used with PCLos.Be carefull, there is no guarantee that the PLF's packaging will be compatible with PCLos.PLF does not support apt. You must download the file from the FTP site:ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf/mandrake/9.2/i586After the rpm has been downloaded, it can be installed in the normal manner.$ su# rpm -ivh /path/to/rpmWarning: DO NOT PROCEED IF YOU GET ANY WARNINGS/ERRORS. You could break your PCLos install.Why would you want to use the site?For the same reason that you need to use it from Mandrake. Tex may be forced to exclude some files from his repository for legal reasons.eg:libdvdcss2 disappeared from the PCLos mirrors. I downloaded the plf rpm and installed it successfully to PV5.ftp://ftp.easynet.fr/plf/mandrake/9.2/i58...8-1plf.i586.rpm

How should I install the bootloader?Phase 5 of the Hard Disc Installer controls how you install the boot loader.This version of the Installer supports only basic LILO.You have 3 basic options:1)Install Boot Loader to PCLos Partition2)Install Boot Loader to Master Boot Record (MBR)3)Do not install a bootloader.Use Option 1 (PCLos Partition) if you are currently using Lilo or Grub from another partition and want to maintain your existing multi-boot configuration. This option MUST be used if you are currently using Grub. The PV5 installer can not properly remove the grub boot record.Use Option 2 (MBR) if you have not previously installed Linux on this system.Option 3 (Do nothing) is not recommended for any case, but, may happen because you clicked NEXT instead of INSTALL. Simplest way to fix this problem is to re-install from the LiveCD.

PV5 Hard Disc Install - Step-by-StepThese are detailed notes from a new HD install of PV5 to my multi-boot test system. This time I wanted to accomplish two things.- Check this tip- Have a HD install of PV5 which I could use for comparison and recovery from errors I was bound to make during testing.Some background.- My test system is a multi-boot WXP, Mdk92, Suse9, PCLos PV5, etc.- My current boot loader runs from the Mdk92 partition. I really don't want any changes made to this that I do not control directly.- I have a pre-existing 2GB swap file (I need it that large for mklivecd) on hda5- I have pre-made 5GB ext3 partitions on my second hard drive for test installs.I chose hdb6 as the target for this install. It was formatted, empty and waiting. For the purposes of this test, I reformatted using diskdrake.The Step-by-StepWhile logged in as guest I started a console and switched to root. First step is to prepare the partition. In my case, I just wanted to re-format it as ext3. You may need to create a new partition, or, make other adjustments to your partition scheme. That is out of scope for this tip.$ su# diskdrakeWhen diskdrake starts:-Click Ok to continue-Click disk tab if required (I needed to select hdb)-Click the partition on the map (I clicked hdb6)-Make sure you are working with the correct partition-Click Unmount to make existing partition available for changes-Check that the partition is at least 5GB and that the format is ext3 or ReiserFs. Ok for both in my case. 5000MB. ext3.-Click Format to prepare the partition-Click Mount to remount the partition-Click Done to exit diskdrakeCheck the console log to make sure there were no errors from diskdrake.Next step, the hard disc install.# livecd-installThe Installer starts with Step 1 (Welcome).Ignore any messages on the console. These are benign.I run the installer from a console so that I can see any error messages. It also lets me abort the install if problems occur and look at the problems more closely.There will be a lot of messages in Step 4.Step 1: WelcomeNothing to do in this step.Read the notes.Click Next to continue.Step 2: Partition Selection.You will see a burst of console messages as this step starts. Ignore them unless you have problems. Just logging automatic partition detection to prepare for the partition selection.I want to use just the Required Partitions.Root (/) partition.-Select the partition you prepared in diskdrake. In my case /dev/hdb6.-Uncheck formatSwap device-Confirm existing swap partition (In my case /dev/hda5) was automatically selected.Click Next to continueStep 3: Partition VerificationReview settings. Make sure partitions are correct and that Format is NOT checked. There is a problem in PV5 when partitions are formatted from the installer.If there are any errors, then click Back to return to Step 2. Fix problem. Click Next in Step 2 to return to Step 3.If everything is correct, click Next to continue.Step 4: LiveCD InstallationThe installation phase starts automatically.It took about 21 minutes to complete the copy from the CD to the HD.Lots of messages scroll by in the console.The following shows the final messages in the console on completeion of Step 4.

+ mkdir -p /tmp/livecd.install.8143/mnt/hdb9 2>/dev/nullFSTAB:# /dev/hdb9, size=10233342, type=1155: Journalised FS: ext3 (extended)/dev/hdb9    /mnt/hdb9    ext3    user,exec,rw,auto    0 0FSTAB: Adding /dev/hdc+ mkdir -p /tmp/livecd.install.8143/mnt/hdc 2>/dev/nullFSTAB:# cdrom: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-106S 010none    /mnt/hdc        supermount      dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,user,exec,ro,noauto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,nohide      0 0FSTAB: Adding /dev/hdd+ mkdir -p /tmp/livecd.install.8143/mnt/hdd 2>/dev/nullFSTAB:# cdrom: LG CD-RW CED-8120Bnone    /mnt/hdd        supermount      dev=/dev/hdd,fs=udf:iso9660,user,exec,ro,noauto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,nohide      0 0Installation completed.showInstall(): Done.
Click Next to continue.NOTE: Some users are reporting Next button greyed out with status at 100% complete. This procedure should avoid the problem, but, if it does occur, please post a message on the support thread and include the last 20 or so lines from your console log.Step 5: Bootloader InstallationSelect /dev/hdb6 (Bootsector of Partition)I want to see the lilo for the HD install but I don't want to change the way my system boots yet.Click Install to continueDO NOT Click Next. This will skip installation of a bootloader.Some additional messages appear on console, normally benign.Step 6: RebootLeave setting at "No. I will reboot later".Click Finish to exit the Installer.That's it for this tip.Updating mult-boot lilo tip available shortly.

Using apt-get with PCLosSynaptic is a great GUI tool to access the PCLos apt enabled repository.But, when you know what you want to do, the command line is faster.

[root@localhost tips]# apt-getapt 0.5.5cnc6 for linux i386 compiled on Dec 30 2003 22:39:59Usage: apt-get [options] command    apt-get [options] install|remove pkg1 [pkg2 ...]    apt-get [options] source pkg1 [pkg2 ...]apt-get is a simple command line interface for downloading andinstalling packages. The most frequently used commands are updateand install.Commands: update - Retrieve new lists of packages upgrade - Perform an upgrade install - Install new packages (pkg is libc6 not libc6.rpm) remove - Remove packages source - Download source archives build-dep - Configure build-dependencies for source packages dist-upgrade - Distribution upgrade, see apt-get(8) clean - Erase downloaded archive files autoclean - Erase old downloaded archive files check - Verify that there are no broken dependenciesOptions:  -h  This help text.  -q  Loggable output - no progress indicator  -qq No output except for errors  -d  Download only - do NOT install or unpack archives  -s  No-act. Perform ordering simulation  -y  Assume Yes to all queries and do not prompt  -f  Attempt to continue if the integrity check fails  -m  Attempt to continue if archives are unlocatable  -u  Show a list of upgraded packages as well  -b  Build the source package after fetching it  -D  When removing packages, remove dependencies as possible  -c=? Read this configuration file  -o=? Set an arbitary configuration option, eg -o dir::cache=/tmpSee the apt-get(8), sources.list(5) and apt.conf(5) manualpages for more information and options.                    This APT has Super Cow Powers.
Warning: Make sure you are not using synaptic at the same time as apt-get. apt-get will stall out waiting for a lock to clear.Eg: I needed the webmin package which I knew was in the repository.So:$ su# apt-get update# apt-get install webmin
[root@localhost guest]# apt-get updateGet:1 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004 release [1075B]Fetched 1075B in 2s (472B/s)Get:1 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os pkglist [1844kB]Get:2 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os release [102B]Get:3 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/updates pkglist [2624B]Get:4 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/updates release [107B]Get:5 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/texstar pkglist [14B]Get:6 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/texstar release [117B]Fetched 1847kB in 16s (112kB/s)Reading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... Done[root@localhost guest]# rpm -qa | grep webmin[root@localhost guest]# apt-get install webminReading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... DoneThe following extra packages will be installed:  perl-Authen-PAM perl-CGI perl-Net_SSLeayThe following NEW packages will be installed:  perl-Authen-PAM perl-CGI perl-Net_SSLeay webmin0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 removed and 1 not upgraded.Need to get 8758kB of archives.After unpacking 24.0MB of additional disk space will be used.Do you want to continue? [Y/n] yGet:1 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os perl-Net_SSLeay 1.25-1mdk [177kB]Get:2 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os perl-Authen-PAM 0.14-3mdk [35.5kB]Get:3 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os perl-CGI 1:3.00-1mdk [246kB]Get:4 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os webmin 1.100-2mdk [8300kB]Fetched 8758kB in 53s (163kB/s)Executing RPM (-Uvh)...Preparing...                ########################################### [100%] 1:perl-Net_SSLeay        ########################################### [ 25%] 2:perl-Authen-PAM        ########################################### [ 50%] 3:perl-CGI            ########################################### [ 75%] 4:webmin              ########################################### [100%]
Or, I want to upgrade my install to latest available$ su# apt-get update# apt-get upgrade
[guest@localhost guest]$ suPassword:[root@localhost guest]# apt-get updateGet:1 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004 release [1075B]Fetched 1075B in 2s (495B/s)Hit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os pkglistHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/os releaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/updates pkglistHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/updates releaseHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/texstar pkglistHit ftp://ftp.nluug.nl pclinuxos/2004/texstar release[root@localhost guest]# vi /etc/apt/sources.list[root@localhost guest]# cat /etc/apt/sources.list#PCLINUXOS apt repositoryrpm http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/metalab.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar#rpm ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/mirrors/sunsi.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os updates texstar[root@localhost guest]# apt-get updateGet:1 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004 release [1075B]Fetched 1075B in 0s (2410B/s)Get:1 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/os pkglist [1844kB]Get:2 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/os release [102B]Get:3 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/updates pkglist [2624B]Get:4 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/updates release [107B]Get:5 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/texstar pkglist [14B]Get:6 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/texstar release [117B]Fetched 1847kB in 28s (65.9kB/s)Reading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... Done[root@localhost guest]# apt-get upgradeReading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... DoneThe following packages will be upgraded  libdvdcss21 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded.Need to get 26.2kB of archives.After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.Do you want to continue? [Y/n] yGet:1 http://ftp.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/os libdvdcss2 1.2.8-2tex [26.2kB]Fetched 26.2kB in 0s (42.0kB/s)Executing RPM (-Uvh)...Preparing...                ########################################### [100%] 1:libdvdcss2          ########################################### [100%][root@localhost guest]#
Oops. Some problems this time.The first attempt to update resulted in "Hit" status for some of the nluug files. This means that those files could not be accessed (probably being updated). apt-get will continue to use old files for the mirror, but, in this case I decided to switch to ibiblio for the upgrade. It also did not continue after the hit messages. Reason, stalled out due to synaptic also running.# vi /etc/apt/sources.listand uncomment ibibilio and comment out nluug.Everything worked this time. Great. One package to be updated (replaced plf version with tex version).Another solution of course is to not be impatient. Syncs usually don't take very long to complete.See "man apt" for more information.

DiskDrake won't format new partitionIn some cases DiskDrake will not format a newly created partition.This is caused by a bug which prevents the creation of the /dev (devfs) entry for the new partition.No fix is currently available for the bug.Rebooting the system creates a clean /dev and allows the partition to be formatted.

ReiserFS most reliable PV5 partition formatReiserFS is the most likely target format to work with the Hard Disc Installer.In some cases DiskDrake/mk2fs fails to complete formatting for ext3. This incomplete format causes the HD Installer to not complete Step 4, or, complete with errors on the installed partition.These errors cause a kernel panic on booting the newly installed partition.