XP number from a system that won't boot

crp

Anyone know how to derive the serial number of an XP system when the OS won't boot? I want to do a reinstall and would like to use the correct disk.

Not if the COA tag is missing.

Anyone know how to derive the serial number of an XP system when the OS won't boot? I want to do a reinstall and would like to use the correct disk.

I've used Keyfinder on a working XP install, and it worked fine. According to their website it will also work on unbootable installs, though I've never tried this.

HTH

I've used Keyfinder on a working XP install, and it worked fine. According to their website it will also work on unbootable installs, though I've never tried this.

HTH

Good find Mac!

You could try this method,

http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/window...covery/#more-36

Windows XP and Vista Product Key Recovery

There are many programs available for extracting the product key from a Windows XP or Vista installation. The only problem is that they generally require the computer to be functional to run. These programs are useless if the operating system is corrupt and the computer will not boot into Windows. Fortunately, there are other options. This article explains how you can retrieve the product key with just the ntuser.dat file from the machine.

Never had to use this myself but it could be worth a punt. You might be able to get the "ntuser.dat file " with a GNU/Linux live cd if you can not get it via windows. B)

Good find Mac!

Yepp, Mac found a good one for Windows :hysterical:

a bit dorky and i'm surprised it was not a stand alone exe, but I think it did it.

ps: okay, maybe it wasn't quite so funny.

Guest LilBambi

HTH

This is a great program. I have been using it for years!

About Magical Jelly Bean

The Magical Jelly Bean exists primarily because of the Keyfinder project which was originally developed by Aleks Ozolins. The project to date has around 9 million downloads and has been a huge success. In near future we're planning to create new free software.

Wow, is that all ... only 9 Million downloads... I am surprised as useful as this tool is!