Wireless Networking XP laptop and Win98 desktop

condoghost

I'm looking for a plain english step-by-step instruction to set up and configure a wireless network between my host XP laptop and client Win98 desktop --- security and encryption, internet sharing, file sharing and printer sharing with Zone Alarm installed on both machines.I've a U.S.Robotics Wireless PC Card for the laptop and a U.S.Robotics Wireless PCI Adapter for the desktop.I've read heaps of tutorials and am just getting lost as to what to do, how to do it, what to undo, what not to do etc etcThe writers perhaps forget we know absolutely nothing on the subject or perhaps presume we know some of the things taken for granted by others ! So a simple straight forward step-by-step "do this do that" would be a real help for me who's blinded by the science and mystery of it all.Thx for your help now

I hate to be like the rest. However I have to start with the Negative.1. Sharing the way you are going to, involves Wireless Ad-Hoc communication between two computers. I.e. Wireless card talking to a Wireless card instead of Gateway Wireless (Access Point) taking to Wireless cards (which is in 99% the normal arrangement).2. You are going to use a Computer as the Internet Gateway, thus entail the need for NAT software (NAT takes care of the Internet going to the right computer). This NAT software is native to windows and it called ICS. It tends to be Quirky in general, and Very Quirky in Wireless Connection.3. PCI Card for desktop computer (in most circumstances) is not the right choice!Why?Wireless is depending on signal propagation.PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case, resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance. USB is connected to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed above the System for better Transmission.So, as a first step I would spend an additional $30-$40 and buy a Wireless Cable/DSL Router. The content of the following links is as simple as it can get.Ignore the prices in the links bellow. The newer hardware can be found for 60%-90% less.Link to: Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing.Link to: Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...?Link to: What do I need for wireless Networking? Link to: Diagram of Broadband Connection with Cable/DSL Router. Link to: Wireless - Basic Configuration.Link to: Wireless Security.On Wireless:802.11b vs. 802.11g.For Internet surfing it does not matter since Internet broadband connection is slower than 802.11bFor traffic across Internal LAN, 802.11g is significantly faster.General Wireless info.802.11b = 11Mb/sec. Network "Speed" (Carrier transmission 2.4GHz)802.11g = 54Mb/sec. Network "Speed" (Carrier transmission 2.4GHz)Wireless Ethernet needs additional protocol over head for the transfer. In addition, it is not as stable as Wired so it needs extra processing procedures.As a result the 11Mb/sec. of the Network chipset is translated to a much lower actual performance. Usually 4-6Mb/sec.Few 802.11b hardware units are also capable to work at 22Mb/sec.(usually referred to as b+) it is nice if it works, in real term will yield 20%-40% more than 11Mb/sec. systems.The 802.11g line that is rated 54Mb/sec. in the real world it yields 18-22Mb/sec.In the link bellow the differences between the first set of graphs to the second represent the performance differences between 802.11b to 802.11gLink: 802.11a/b/g SOHO Routers & Access Points: Performance.Among the Entry Level 802.11g.The Supr G line from D-Link, and Netgear seem to fair very well.The D-Link 624 (as well as the Netgear WGT-624) have a special technology that runs the Wireless at 108MHz. In the real world (with a compatible Card) it might translate to 40%-70% increase in “Speedâ€.========================================If you mainly use the Wireless for Internet surfing, then the 801.11g is of no big benefit for the price of the 802.11g you might find few units of 802.11b and get better coverage distance wise.=========================================Link to: Extending the Distance of Entry Level Wireless Network.

Thx for that JackR ...

1.  Sharing the way you are going to, involves Wireless Ad-Hoc communication between two computers.  I.e. Wireless card talking to a Wireless card instead of Gateway Wireless (Access Point) taking to Wireless cards (which is in 99% the normal arrangement).
I appreciate that. I wasn't aware that 99% the norm is access point talking to wireless cards so I'll take a look at that.
2.  You are going to use a Computer as the Internet Gateway, thus entail the need for NAT software (NAT takes care of the Internet going to the right computer). This NAT software is native to windows and it called ICS. It tends to be Quirky in general, and Very Quirky in Wireless Connection.
Yes that's what I'm finding. I was drawn to U.S.Robotics by their box statement Simple Wireless Networking Ready Set Connect Simple 3-Step Installation !The System Configuration Utility in the system tray Is green for connected with good quality --- the bits I'm lost with are enabling Internet Sharing, enabling file and print sharing and wireless security. The U.S.Robotics Installation Guide covers the basic between the same operating systems and that's it.I'll follow up with the links you've posted and see where that gets me.
3.  PCI Card for desktop computer (in most circumstances) is not the right choice! Why? Wireless is depending on signal propagation. PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case, resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance.  USB is connected to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed above the System for better Transmission.
Yes my first thought was for USB. I was drawn to this wireless pci card because it sits just over an inch outside the slot and the supplier also had a wireless PCI adapter on the market at the same time ---- I was thinking "hardware conflict - compatibility".Thx again for the links - I'll get with reading them ...

FWIW My son's pc has a PCI WiFi NIC and it works fine in our layout. The back of his pc where the antenna is faces the wall and the WiFi router is in the room on the other side. USB NICs certainly are moveable and convenient but what you have may work out fine for your situation.hth

FWIW My son's pc has a PCI WiFi NIC and it works fine in our layout ... what you have may work out fine for your situation. hth
Yes the product comes well recommended in web-user.co.uk --- thx for the post

The System Configuration Utility in the system tray Is green for connected with good quality --- the bits I'm lost with are enabling Internet Sharing, enabling file and print sharing and wireless security.
To enable ICS in XP: Right Click (RC) on My Network Places/ properties, RC on whichever connection that you want to share. Choose properties/ advanced tab. Choose Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection. If this is a dial up instead of broadband, choose allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection. On the general tab, you need to make sure that the Show icon in notification area when connected. XP is funny about ICS & IP addresses. It wouldn't let me set IP addresses on my home network (separate from the NIC card that I am using for ICS) using 192.168.0.1. I found more info about this problem at practicallynetworked.com. To enable file & printer sharing: RC on My Network Places/ properties, RC on the network connection for your LAN. Choose properties. Either add or make sure that file & printer sharing is checked in the list of protocols. To actually share files or printers. RC on file or printer, choose properties. Choose sharing tab, share & name your file or printer.Hope this is what you were looking for! :) I'm wired, so I can't help you much with the wireless security!