testdrivin' arch and vmware

wa4chq

Hey all-- hope all are doing well. I've been lurking in the background. Right now I'm out in BC for a while and have a bit of time on my hands and have access to some high speed internet to boot.....I brought my lappy out here and decided to mess around with vmware stuff. Got it installed and decided to give Arch a whirl.....well here I am....got it up and running....using openbox and a very plain jane setup for starters. Other then different names for certain things it really reminds me of Slackware. I may just have to go all out and install Arch on this here laptop. I'm doing ok so far with pacman. I haven't tried ??Aur?? Right now on the lap I have XP and Mint. Arch used grub when I did the virtual install, so should I be concerned about removing Mint and doing a true Arch install? I think Mint used Grub2???? Anyway, everyone have a nice evening. :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll have a problem with the bootloader.

If you format the partition that Linux Mint is on, your GRUB2 configs should be wiped.

If you let ArchLinux install GRUB to the MBR of your HDD it will be the only bootloader and will detect XP automatically.

If all goes well, it will be easy. :o

I don't think you'll have a problem with the bootloader.

If you format the partition that Linux Mint is on, your GRUB2 configs should be wiped.

If you let ArchLinux install GRUB to the MBR of your HDD it will be the only bootloader and will detect XP automatically.

Thanks for the quick reply and for the info, amenditman! Have a good one.

securitybreach

Very cool, let us know if you have any issues :thumbsup:

As far as yaourt:

Yet AnOther User Repository Tool (Yaourt) is a community-contributed wrapper for pacman which adds seamless access to the AUR (an additional 32,958 packages available), allowing and automating package compilation and installation from your choice of the thousands of PKGBUILDs in the AUR, in addition to the many thousands of available Arch Linux binary packages. Yaourt uses the same exact syntax as pacman, which saves you from relearning an entirely new method of system maintenance but also adds new options. Yaourt expands the power and simplicity of pacman by adding even more useful features and provides pleasing, colorized output, interactive search mode, and much more.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Yaourt

I personally use packer as I find it much faster and it just works better IMO:

Packer is a wrapper for pacman and the AUR. It was designed to be a simple and very fast replacement for the basic functionality of Yaourt. It has commands to install, update, search, and show information for any package in the main repositories and in the AUR. Use pacman for other commands, such as removing a package.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers#packer

There are 25 different frontends for the AUR repository listed on the same link above with a comparison chart.

You can also search the AUR packages from the website and download using makepkg/pacman to instsall them manually: https://aur.archlinux.org/

I use yaourt because I'm lazy, and it has all the functionality of pacman.

I recently looked at both the pacman and yaourt man pages. They are not identical, pacman lists more functions/options. But the ones not listed on the yaourt page work in yaourt commands. Gotta love that.

Thanks Josh....just finished installing yaourt....will check out packer. (still test driving)

BTW...the tutorials you guys have put together are fantastic.

One issue that I have but I'm not too worried about since I'm sure it would function properly if I did the proper install is my sound. Right now I'm just having fun!

have a good one

securitybreach

Well as long as you installed alsa-utils and added yourself to the audio group, you should be fine. To test your sound, just run:

aplay  /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Also, make sure you add alsa to your daemon line in /etc/rc.conf. If you followed my tutorial, your sound should be functional.

amenditman is correct. Take a look at how just placing "ARCH" on your avatar has a beneficial effect on you. Replace the flickering chatter and nagging of other distros and relax and enjoy life with Arch.

Y60wV.jpg

o:)

amenditman is correct. Take a look at how just placing "ARCH" on your avatar has a beneficial effect on you. Replace the flickering chatter and nagging of other distros and relax and enjoy life with Arch.

Y60wV.jpg

o:)

I like the adjustment to the avatar! :drooling: And enjoying life with Arch now is a must. It is so 'Slack' like and it just is... :thumbsup:

securitybreach
I like the adjustment to the avatar! :drooling: And enjoying life with Arch now is a must. It is so 'Slack' like and it just is... :thumbsup:

Very cool but I like the old avatar better as running Archlinux is truly geeky anyway :ph34r: :hysterical:

Very cool but I like the old avatar better as running Archlinux is truly geeky anyway :ph34r: :hysterical:

:thumbsup:

Well as long as you installed alsa-utils and added yourself to the audio group, you should be fine. To test your sound, just run:

aplay  /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Also, make sure you add alsa to your daemon line in /etc/rc.conf. If you followed my tutorial, your sound should be functional.

I solved the sound problem and it was a vmware player issue.....I didn't have the correct box checked.

Once you start using Arch, you will be hooked. Tried many. Once I got a handle on Arch, I was hooked. ;) Glad you got it up and running and got your sound workiing as well. :thumbsup:

And you correct. Josh's tutorial makes it so easy to jump in and try it. ;)

All the best,

Ian

Edited by ichase

Hi Ian....yes, I agree about getting hooked. Again, it reminds me of Slackware, and I've been hooked on her for a while. But now I don't have slack on the lap but would like to put something on it other then Ubuntu or Mint. They are both nice distros but I really like having more of a hands-on approach. So the Arch test drive is going well so far with VMware player!

take care

Neil

V.T. Eric Layton

I have the best of both worlds. I run Slack and Arch. :)

Oh, and I only use yaourt when I know there's an update for dropbox. That's the only AUR item I have installed on my Arch system.

Hi Ian....yes, I agree about getting hooked. Again, it reminds me of Slackware, and I've been hooked on her for a while. But now I don't have slack on the lap but would like to put something on it other then Ubuntu or Mint. They are both nice distros but I really like having more of a hands-on approach. So the Arch test drive is going well so far with VMware player!

take care

Neil

Well if you are wanting the hands on approach and have experience in Slackware (which don't get much more hands on that that) then Arch is most definitely the best choice. The unique thing about Arch is, no one computer with Arch installed on it, is going to be the same. You get the basics for starting the OS and from there you can go anywhere.

When I started with Linux only a little over a year ago, I wanted to "Learn" linux. Arch has done wonders in teaching me about config files, command line interface etc. I have made countless mistakes and have re-imaged my partition on many occasions but each time I did this, I learned something new.

Not to mention that Josh and Amenditman have thrown me my fair share of life lines through out the journey as well. ;)

Ian

securitybreach

I honestly thought you have been running Linux for longer than a year. You have made some great progress in that small amount of time :thumbup:

I honestly thought you have been running Linux for longer than a year. You have made some great progress in that small amount of time :thumbup:

Thank you Josh, September 22 2010 was my first install. I actually thought I was quite behind where I thought I should be at this point, so that definitely gives me some additional confidence. :thumbsup:

Edited by ichase

securitybreach
Thank you Josh, September 22 2010 was my first install. I actually thought I was quite behind where I thought I should be at this point, so that definitely gives me some additional confidence. :thumbsup:

I started using Linux in 2003 and I feel like I should know a lot more so do not feel bad. Sometimes RL happens (rarely) that keeps us from learning as much as we would want to.

It sounds like we all have something in common... :w00t: :w00t: .!!!

I'm gonna try archbang on a usb stick. I think I can get the info I need for setting up internet access that way instead of installing thru vmware player. At least that is what I hope happens....

I started running Linux in about Feb. or March of 2008. Went cold turkey on Windows and formatted the entire drive for use with Kubuntu. Got that elusive license refund from HP, too. Didn't stay with Kubuntu long.

I feel the same way, never can seem to learn as much as I think I should fast enough. I think it's a disease with us! :hysterical: