Windows Update is broken {FIXED}

zlim

FIXED! I'm unable to update one of my XP computers.

I keep getting the "install active x". It is installed and when looking at the screenshot, there is no information toolbar to click to install what it thinks it needs.

perkScot_links_update_broken.jpg

I have update in the trusted zone and I've reset that zone to the default settings.

Any ideas appreciated. I hate having to track down each individual update and install one by one.

The only active security is MS Security Essentials. I have free version of malwarebytes and it is up to date but not actively protecting.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... have I ever told you the story of the straw that broke the camel's back and got me to use Linux for 99% of my computing needs? ;)

Hello,

Hard to tell if it is a problem with the user's environment or something system-wide, at this point.

Are you able to update if you log in as a different user or from Safe Mode with Networking?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I'm unable to update one of my XP computers.

I keep getting the "install active x". It is installed and when looking at the screenshot, there is no information toolbar to click to install what it thinks it needs.

perkScot_links_update_broken.jpg

I have update in the trusted zone and I've reset that zone to the default settings.

Any ideas appreciated. I hate having to track down each individual update and install one by one.

The only active security is MS Security Essentials. I have free version of malwarebytes and it is up to date but not actively protecting.

Liz, you may need to need to just re-install the Windows Update agent. I've seen this problem before on XP. The latest version for XP users can be downloaded here. (32-bit version).

I should add that doing a clean reboot of your system before & after installing the update agent is probably the best route to go.

Edited by Tushman

Liz, you may need to need to just re-install the Windows Update agent. I've seen this problem before on XP. The latest version for XP users can be downloaded here. (32-bit version).

I should add that doing a clean reboot of your system before & after installing the update agent is probably the best route to go.

And to go along with Tushman's excellent suggestion :thumbsup: , I also image my system drive to my WHS before I update, and then again a few days later when I've been running with no problems.

It is IE 8, the same as the other two XP computers.

Mac, while imaging a system is a great idea, we have been without power for over 8 days so I presently did not have the time (nor the desire) to image 6 windows partitions before I update). We have 7 computers currently in the house. I am slowly e-cycling them to cut the numbers down. It isn't easy.

The computer that refuses to update is one that I don't use much for surfing so it wouldn't be critical if it wasn't updated but I do like to keep everything as secure as possible and it really bothers me when one computer acts up while all the others behave nicely.

Tushman, I'm off to try the Windows Update Agent to see if that solves the problem. Thanks.

Goretsky, I am the only user and I auto log in as I do on all the windows computers in the house. If the Windows Update Agent doesn't work, I'll try the safe mode with networking to see if it works that way. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down loaded and installed Windows Update Agent. At the end I got a popup that said

Install is not needed since Windows Update Agent is already installed.
Rebooted and I still see the same active x issue screen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Grub controls the bootloader on this computer, I'm still thinking about what I'd need to do to get to safe mode with networking.

In the meantime, I went to the windows catalog and did get an information bar there. I installed that Active x and whatever dll it wanted to allow to load. I downloaded one update 2544893 and it installed fine.

I went back to windows update hoping that maybe the issue was now fixed. It isn't. I still see the same screen and no information bar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Found the problem and I've fixed it.

I was looking through the Activex section of WinPatrol and saw that muwebcontrol class was disabled (as well as google updates - I had google chrome on here and uninstalled it).

I went searching to see what I could find on the muwebclass control and stumbled on this very informative page.

http://waywood.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/si...ar-not-working/

Just to be sure, I switched to the other XP computer and muwebclass control was enabled on that one.

I enabled it and now Windows Update works as it should.

I'm wondering if uninstalling google chrome changed this because I can't see me disabling it on my own.

Anyway, I downloaded the updates. Phew.

Now I'm off to work on the Windows 7 netbook.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

Liz, as SOON as you select Windows in GRUB, start pressing F8 and keep pressing it repeatedly until either safe mode comes up, or you get a text screen from which you can select safe mode.

Guest LilBambi

Excellent Liz!!! I was just coming in to ask if you had disabled it and voila! You fixed it and it was a disabled situation but I thought it would be within IE.