Cant install cd drive

georgeg4

Hi , I am running a dell dimension 2400 running Win Xp and Ubuntu . The CD drive quit and I installed a new one . Now the computer will not recognize it , I tried reinstalling the drivers but still nogo . Ubuntu will not recognize it either . I know that it is a good working drive

Did you go into the BIOS and see that it is enabled?Are you sure the cable is good? (gray 40 or 80 wire)?I had to replace that in a Dimension 2400 when the computer reported no hard drive.

Thanks zlim but I did all that and it is still nogo the added new hardware window doesnt show up , In other words the plug and play drivers are not working

V.T. Eric Layton

Back to basics... does the BIOS detect the CD drive? BIOS should detect the hardware regardless of drivers. BIOS sees the device BEFORE your operating system even boots. If no CD drive in BIOS, you have a drive/cabling issue. :hysterical:

Back to basics... does the BIOS detect the CD drive? BIOS should detect the hardware regardless of drivers. BIOS sees the device BEFORE your operating system even boots. If no CD drive in BIOS, you have a drive/cabling issue. :hysterical:
If the device is not recognized in the BIOS, it's possible he has the wrong jumper settings. George is the new DVD drive SATA or IDE? Disregard my first comment if it's a SATA drive.

I dont know how to check whether the drive is sata or ide . I do have several of them and they are all older drives . I did have the jumper set on master , And now I tried cable select and that doesnt work either . The bios is not detecting the drive. In my computer it lists drive d as a dvd and I am installing a cd . I also tried to install a second drive as a slave and it didnt detect that one either

If you installed a known good CD drive, then I would suspect the PATA ribbon cable. If after installing a new PATA cable to the drive and the BIOS still cannot detect the drive, then it's possible that the PATA plug or the PATA controller for that channel on the motherboard has failed.

I did try three different drives and also reinstalled the original . The reason I installed a different one was the original would read from the drive but would not record , And now the bios does not recognize the original either . I even tried changing the cable in case that one was bad . Now with a known good drive installed and I put a cd in it shows the drive is reading it but then the light goes off and nothing ,When I go to My Computer and click on drive D it says no cd in the drive

I did try three different drives and also reinstalled the original . The reason I installed a different one was the original would read from the drive but would not record , And now the bios does not recognize the original either . I even tried changing the cable in case that one was bad . Now with a known good drive installed and I put a cd in it shows the drive is reading it but then the light goes off and nothing ,When I go to My Computer and click on drive D it says no cd in the drive
George, it's possible that the power lead going to that CD/DVD drive is defective. Try using a different molex connector on your power supply and connect it to your known good DVD drive.

V.T. Eric Layton

If there is nothing else on that EIDE channel, you don't have to use the jumper on the back of the device. It's automatically the master. You only need to jump if you have more than one device on the channel.EIDE (PATA) - big ol' gray ribbon cable...pata_connector_udma_host.jpgSATA - thin little plastic cord with small connector...SATA-Connector-Cable.jpg

If there is nothing else on that EIDE channel, you don't have to use the jumper on the back of the device. It's automatically the master. You only need to jump if you have more than one device on the channel.
This is true. However, going back to the original post of what George was saying, I thought a wrong jumper setting was causing his problems because if for example you have 2 devices on the ribbon cable and they are both set to master (or slave for that matter), it could cause Windows not to see it.But now George has divulged more ifnormation by telling us there are no other drives on the cable - so yes - no need to worry about jumper settings. In addition, he is saying that he finally got the drive recognized in Windows..... So it seems the jumper setting is irrelevant at this stage anyway.The only reason(s) I can think of why the CD (or DVD) drive will power up and then suddenly power down is due to a defective power supply or defect with the optical drive itself. This is why I suggested that he try using a different power lead (previous post above).

V.T. Eric Layton
The only reason(s) I can think of why the CD (or DVD) drive will power up and then suddenly power down is due to a defective power supply or defect with the optical drive itself. This is why I suggested that he try using a different power lead (previous post above).
I concur. He should also look into the plastic power connector. Sometimes the pins get jammed in there from trying to plug it in upside-down.