Porteus

abarbarian

Don't you just love the Linux Red Herring Maze. :hysterical:

I have spent all day reading and trying out suggestions from wikis. Looking for files that do not exist and trying out code that simply does not work on my Arch.

So in the end I made up my own solution.

Same system and and extra sound card and headphones. Porteus shows the extra sound card as being the default but I get no sound. Arch does not even show the extra card anywhere in the alsa files but it is recognised by the system in some file I found.

In Arch I did not have a "sound.conf" in /etc/modprobe.d but I did in Porteus but it showed the mobo sound as default. So I copied the Porteus "sound.conf" to Arch in /etc/modporobe.d and changed the alias in the file to the correct one for the extra card and hey presto I have sound in Arch from me extra Asus DS card but not in Porteus.

So if you install a extra sound card in Arch and can not get it to work simply follow my simple instructions and you will. :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Did Archlinux show the card when running lspci and if so, what does it list the audio card as?

lspci shows a "C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]" which I am sure is the Asus DS card. B)

securitybreach
Nvidia GF 104 High Definition Audio is the on board. B)

I just disabled my secondary audio using this:

First find the pci id with:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 08:42 AM

╚═══ ~-> lspci | grep -i audio

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6800 Series]

Find the correct folder

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 08:43 AM

╚═══ ~-> find /sys/devices -name *01:00.1

/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:01:00.1

And add this to the /etc/rc.local

echo 1 > /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:03.0/0000\:01\:00.1/remove

See now it does not show up:

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 08:55 AM

╚═══ ~-> lspci | grep -i audio

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

╔═ comhack@Cerberus 08:55 AM

╚═══ ~->

NOTE: Your numbers may or may not be the same as mine.

Yup it works ok. I would never have found that in a million years. :thumbsup:

I have two onboard sound drivers so I used the fix for both of them. I can not copy and paste from qtFM an I am too bushed to type out all the details. I'll have a go and see if it works in Porteus next time I boot in to it.

Oh and my Asus is still giving me sound. :D

Now I must remember to order that £5 pre-amp that slots into the Asus and I might get even better sound. <_<

Ta muchly. :D

• 1 year later...

So much for the 3.0 rc version you can't do any updates. here is the message from porteus

Due to the major version update in porteus V 3.0 the porteus updater has been disabled for all rv releases thank you

So much for the 3.0 rc version you can't do any updates. here is the message from porteus

But, your modules from earlier revs of Porteus will work on the 3.0 -- at least, almost all I have tried, a bunch.

That is, excepting wine, can't seem to find a wine.xzm that will not cause fatal errors when trying to add any of the apps I want to use it for.

Actually, I would suggest waiting for the 3.0 release version. The repo and build system works fine with 2.0 and 2.1 releases.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Bit late with this news but I know we have Porteus lovers here.

Today, December 29, 2016, the development team behind the Porteus (formerly Slax Remix) Linux-based operating system series proudly announced the final release of Porteus 3.2.2.

Until today, the Porteus 3.2 series was in development, with no less than five RC (Release Candidate) builds published. It comes a little over a year after the release of the Porteus 3.1 stable branch and promises great GNU/Linux technologies, including the recently released Linux 4.9 kernel.

Porteus 3.2.2 is also the first stable version of the 3.2 series and is distributed in four distinct flavors, with the KDE Plasma 5, Xfce, Cinnamon, and MATE desktop environments. Under the hood, it features the PulseAudio sound system, eudev device file manager, and ConsoleKit2 framework for defining/tracking users and login sessions.

It seems there is some love for Porteus in Asia too,

http://www.techphylu...l-released.html

The best and useful thing introduced in this update is, one can update individual applications right from the console.How? Just fire up the console and type in the command update-firefox or say update-libreoffice.

A very neat distro imho. :hug:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Remember, pulse is not a replacement for alsa. They work together:

PulseAudio serves as a proxy to sound applications using existing kernel sound components like ALSA or OSS. Since ALSA is included in Arch Linux by default, the most common deployment scenarios include PulseAudio with ALSA.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

BTW I love Vim, specifically NeoVim.

• Like 1

Remember, pulse is not a replacement for alsa. They work together:

PulseAudio serves as a proxy to sound applications using existing kernel sound components like ALSA or OSS. Since ALSA is included in Arch Linux by default, the most common deployment scenarios include PulseAudio with ALSA.

https://wiki.archlin....php/PulseAudio

BTW I love Vim, specifically NeoVim.

Me mum loved Vim :hug:

XQTyZAa.png

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, my...

I'm sadly disappointed in Porteus. I downloaded the newest version a little while ago and burned a CD and installed on a flash drive. Once I booted, I found that Porteus has once again eliminated an app that I use primarily in Porteus... grsync. I'm sad. The last time they put out a new version they also eliminated a very nice little app called disk utility. I was sad about that, too.

Oh, well... I still have v2.x that has disk utility and v3.x that has grsync. Guess I'll just keep using those for a while more. I think I can create modules for Porteus that would allow me to use these apps in the newest version, but I'm too lazy to make modules for Porteus.

On a side note:

I also downloaded the newest SLAX and installed it to USB. It booted, but would not initiate the graphic display. I didn't feel like wrangling with it, so wiped the USB flash drive and will use it for more constructive things.

So there...