power outage and now a blue screen of death with Win XP.

réjean

Hi all!We had several power outages since yesterday. Both of our machines are behind there own UPS. Mine using Mandriva is working fine. My wife's using XP Pro is now showing a blue screen of death.I have tried unplugging the 3-in-1 printer, still a blue screen. Then I tried unplugging the network cable from the router and the same thing happens. I tried unplugging the computer for 30 sec and replugging it ditto. I bypassed the UPS plugging the machine into the powerbar ( not UPS ) and I get the same result. I have tried booting in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network, the Last known working configuration ( whatever is the real term) or Start up Windows normally but I keep getting either the blue screen of death or a blue screen with a few big black horizontal bars and a bunch of gibberish text.Any other suggestions anyone?

I am not sure it can help but here is the message at the bottom of the list;

Technical information;*** Stop: 0x000000ED (0x81f7F900,0xc0000032, 0x00000000, Ox00000000)

rejean, does the error message showing actually have UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME ?
I think so. Let me go downstairs and check.Yep! Exactly like you wrote it. Edited by réjean

I think so. Let me go downstairs and check.Yep! Exactly like you wrote it.
then the links provided by the other 3 should do you good.Personally, I would check the cable first and if you have other cables try hooking up with one of those.OH wait - check your BIOS first to see if the setup is how it should be. Edited by crp

Guest LilBambi
then the links provided by the other 3 should do you good.Personally, I would check the cable first and if you have other cables try hooking up with one of those.OH wait - check your BIOS first to see if the setup is how it should be.
Yes, always good to go with checking potential hardware issues first. :thumbsup:

Well that did it. Thank you! Thank you.!Thank you!Especially Liz.It had been so long since I had to fix my wife's computer that I kept thinking I had to get into Safe Mode first and I had totally forgotten about starting with the CD and click on Repair. What a relief between the 170 mm of rain ( over 6 inches ) with over 100 km of wind the last 2 days, the power outages and a tragic accident ( 2 teenagers dead and 2 air lifted to Halifax ( more than 400 miles ) after they tried to avoid a moose, hit a tree and fell over an embankment which is forcing us to cancel our weekly farmer's market after tomorrow with all the emails and phone calls to make and then my wife's machine not working anymore for 5 or 6 hours. That was getting too much!But thank goodness there are so many reliable people ( Highlanders ) here.Once again thank you all so very much!

Guest LilBambi

So glad that worked for you! Great call there Liz -- and striker too since he was gonna post the same thing.Awesome that it is back up and running again! You certainly didn't need any additional problems with all your family has been through with all of the rain, downed trees, etc.:thumbsup:

Linux is Grand indeed Eric but when your love one decides that she wants to stay with something else then you ( I ) have to live with the consequences and try to fix what is wrong the best you ( I ) can with the help of good folks like all the ones here. :thumbsup:

True love is letting your partner run whatever OS he/she chooses and then fixing it when things go wrong! :) I have a perfectly good computer running XP with 1256 MB RAM at my husband's computer desk. Instead he fires up the old 2K computer with 256 MB RAM which crawls. He knows enough to turn it on way before he actually wants to use it!

V.T. Eric Layton
True love is letting your partner run whatever OS he/she chooses and then fixing it when things go wrong! :)
HAHA! So true! ;)

I'll just repeat the advice I gave in post #2; after the repair install gets it working again, then boot with a pmagic or other linux rescue cd and make an image of your XP partition. I have used partimage here with success on both XP and win2k. It's free. If you want to spend a few dollars on ebay, get a copy of Norton/Symantec Ghost. It does what partimage does, and more -- Ghost has rescued my puters many times. It sorta ruins your troubleshooting skills, since any problem can be fixed by reloading a good image.

Or you could use Frank Golden's A guide to using Clonezilla
Yup -- that's all that most people would need. Or just partimage. But Ghost has a feature or two that I haven't seen in the others; in particular you can restore to a partition that is a different size than the one from which you took the 'image' -- if the new partition is big enough to hold the uncompressed data, then Ghost will restore the image onto it, and it's smart enough in that situation to not replace the original MBR. And, it can start with a completely raw disk drive -- you do not need to first partition and format a disk before installing a Ghost image, e.g., it will partition to whatever you want as a first step, and then format the partition on the fly as it restores the image. For linux users, #sfdisk -d /dev/sda >saveinfo.txtwill capture vital partition info from your disk, and then #sfdisk /dev/sda <saveinfo.txt is the reverse, will in one step create a master partition table that matches the one previously on /dev/sda. This will solve the 'same size partition' issue when restoring a partimage image. You will need some way to run sfdisk, typically from booting a linux live cd. Of course, the saveinfo.txt file should be stored on some external media -- against the day when your partition table disappears. And I keep in the same place copies of the current MBR's of every disk in my computer farm -- linux installs sometimes do things you didn't expect; having a saved copy of the previous MBR is the quick way to recover from that.

Guest LilBambi
:ph34r: Great points burninbush! There are a lot of versions of Ghost and I remember someone saying don't bother getting ghost if it's before version ?? because it won't work on everything?

:thumbsup: Great points burninbush! There are a lot of versions of Ghost and I remember someone saying don't bother getting ghost if it's before version ?? because it won't work on everything?
Ah, let's see -- I have here ghost 6.0 corporate, ca. 2000, ghost-pe from a 2003 copy of Symantec system utils, ghost 8.2 that I got from some later edition, maybe 2005. And then I have a curious ghost32.exe which only runs under windows, not clear what that's good for here. Any of the first three work fine for the various partitions on my desktop machines [ntfs, vfat, reiserfs] and have been used many times, perhaps the ghost-pe more than the rest. However ... the old versions all run on a msdos boot, one way or another, and that precludes their use on [for example] my most recent Tosh laptop. It'll boot to msdos no problem, but none of the drivers [xxx.sys files] I have on hand will allow the Tosh dvd burner to be seen, so Ghost would be useless for a restore on that machine. There may be some workaround for this, but I don't have it. I used Pmagic [linux] and partimage to backup its drive -- Pmagic reads/writes to the Tosh burner no problem. [edit: and I'll just add, the Tosh came with an image app from Toshiba -- as soon as you turn it on, it is able to image it's win7 partitions to the dvd burner. Good thing, too, since with the cheapo model I bought you do not get any system disks whatever.] Time for a Ghost upgrade here, it seems. The first three I mentioned above all work fine on my desktops with SATA burners, and of course with the older PATA drives. The ideal way to use Ghost [or other image tool] is to have multiple disk drives in your puter, and store your latest image of drive #1 on drive #2, and vice versa. A restore in that situation runs at the max speed your hard disk can spin out the data, meaning a windows partition with 10gb used can be restored in about 5 - 6 minutes. The old versions work fine in that environment, having only to read / write to another hard disk. Edited by burninbush

Guest LilBambi

Heard that (regarding the upgraded version of Ghost)...I had a very old version that doesn't work with SATA anything and is definitely an MSDOS based one. And of course most everything is SATA these days.