CD Burner

Stylez

Have you tried the following as root?mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/some_existing_mount_pointor ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecordermkdir /media/cdwritermount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /media/cdwriterIf successful, you can edit your /etc/fstab file.Also, you seem to have "hdc=ide-scsi" listed twice in your lilo.conf file. This may not be a problem, but to eliminate it you might want to comment out one of entries (appears in one of your earlier posts). If you post your lilo.conf file, someone can point you directly to the duplicate entry.hthtranquilo

(Err, grabbing at straws here - from "man mount" in a console)mount -a -t (file system here, i.e. udf, iso9660, etc.???) /dev/sr0 /media/burner -o ro"mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/burner -o ro" if I'm reading right is what you'll want.The system wants to write to a read only media. And it's complaining that it can't write to read only CDs. The reason why it mounts without errors for me is because that info is in the fstab for my system.Another thing eventually you might want to try is a symlink /dev/burner to /dev/sr0. That's how the /dev/cdrom works and it's easier to read. And that's pretty basic.If you want, try editing fstab copying the cdrom line and modifying it with the /dev/sr0 in place of /dev/cdrom.[ed] Thanks transquilo. Comfirming what I couldn't quite piece together nearly as fast.

Edited by pc-tecky

So do I use /mnt or /media?You can do it however you want, but SuSE likes it mounted in /media so I'd just do it there until you're comfortable at least. Despite the fact other distros put it in /mnt, there's no advantage in either way.
First, make sure that /dev/cdrecorder is sym-linked to /dev/sr0 which should be correct for a burner (like this):ls -l /dev/cdrecorderlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2003-11-29 18:00 /dev/cdrecorder -> sr0sumount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorderThat's the basic syntax to try it out before you edit your /etc/fstab file. That mounts it with defaults (check manpage for full details). If that line works, you should be able to do this command to see what's on the CD:ls -l /media/cdrecorderThen you can add this line to /etc/fstab (at the end is fine) using an editor as root:/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0Update: Oops, didn't see these other posts and could've saved myself some work :lol: Sorry, guys. Edited by linuxdude32

I still have a problem, so let me tell you where I am at: I can mount cdrecorder with a prewritten CD, but not a blank cd-r or a blank cdrw.I created a link, and edited fstab:

ln -sf /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrecorderls -al cdrecorderlrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jan  4 17:42 cdrecorder -> /dev/sr0append to fstab:/dev/sr0 /media/cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

with a prewritten cd, I do the following:

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrecordermount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only# cd /media/cdrecorder/# dir-r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           56 Sep 26  2001 AUTORUN.INFdr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root         2048 Oct  6  2002 AutoRun

now with a blank cdrw, or cdr:

# umount cdrecorder/# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrecordermount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-onlymount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,       or too many mounted file systems# umount cdrecorder/umount: cdrecorder/: not mountedor with the other suggestion:# mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrecorder -o romount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,       or too many mounted file systems

Please remember I am doing this from the command prompt. I have three questions:Has anyone gotten this to work is SuSE8.0 ?Is my fstab entry correct given that cdrecorder is going to be rw?Any other suggestions?Thanks everyone for responding, and your help. I am determined to understand this and get it to work.

Have you tried writing to a new cd-r before attempting to mount it? It may not be possible to mount blank media without a file system.tranquilo

Well, a blank cd-r/cd-rw will never mount as you are trying to do. It's impossible. There must first needs to be something on the media to read. That's where blank media with ISO files with cdrecord, and various files with K3b, cd-writer, or other like programs come into play to make a CD. Inserting a blank cd-r/cd-rw in windows will lunch the appropriate software. Linux may be more stable, advanced, and powerful, but I don't think that the detection of blank cd media exists yet in Linux as it does in windows. I think Windows only works on a presumption of various factors and tests, i.e., check for ISO-9660, rockridge, and/or UDF, if these fail then launch cd-writer application.

They're right, condic. You can't mount blank media. The reason is this. Mounting actually refers to mounting a filesystem, not a device. That's why you mount partitions, and not drives. Until the CD-R or CD-RW is written to, there is no filesystem on it. If you want to make a CD-R or CD-RW just bring up k3b and choose to make a CD and then choose the files to copy to it. A filesystem will be made on the fly as the files are copied. The only difference with a CD-RW is that you can do an erase on it and treat it as if it as a new CD-R. Once you've burned the disc, you will find that you can mount it afterward. Hopefully, this makes sense.

It makes sense that you can't mount a blank cd with no file system.I was able to write an iso image to an umount blank cdrw, then mount the cd after I created it.Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Hmm... Still not answered. How do you add the SCSI-IDE line with Grub bootloader so I can play? Seriously, re-install linux?
Use Lilo myself.In the tips section Bruno recently discyssed Grub glanced at it but didn't see any mention of what you were talking about but it did say you could check following link for more info:Grub BootloaderGood luck. :thumbsup:

Hmm... Still not answered. How do you add the SCSI-IDE line with Grub bootloader so I can play? Seriously, re-install linux?
If you refer to Bruno's Grub Tip you will notice "kernel...." lines in menu.lst.Any boot options are added directly to the kernel line instead of lilo's seperate append lines.

Thanks Owen.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda## Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.#          root (hd0,0)#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda1#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img#boot=/dev/hdadefault=0timeout=10splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gztitle Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)	root (hd0,0)	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img#Section added in by hand for booting with CD-RW drivetitle Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8) with SCSI-IDE Emulation	root (hd0,0)	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ /dev/hdc=ide-scsi	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img

Linux version 2.4.20-8 (bhcompile@porky.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Thu Mar 13 17:54:28 EST 2003....IBM machine detected. Enabling interrupts during APM calls.Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=/ /dev/hdc=ide-scsiInitializing CPU#0Detected 397.054 MHz processor.....Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta-2.4ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xxPIIX4: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:07.1PIIX4: chipset revision 1PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfcf0-0xfcf7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfcf8-0xfcff, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:piohda: HITACHI_DK23AA-12, ATA DISK drive....hdc: DW-28E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM driveide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15hda: host protected area => 1....hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 1698kB Cache, UDMA(33)Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices.....

Ok, the SCSI-IDE emulation appears to be in place thanks to your pointer Owyn, but I'm not sure where the drive is mapped. I added the section for the SCSI-IDE boot option for use with the burner. I won't always have the CD-RW available for the ThinkPad. I double checked the /dev/hdc was the burner; the desktop icon ejected the drive prior to the mod.However, 'cdrecord -scanbus' returns for root the following:

Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2002 Jörg Schillingcdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'. "

So, what's next to on the list of things to check? It's like Prego, it's in there; so re-read the thread?

Well, something is still not quite right. I just got done reading a portion of the directions listed for SuSe. But trying to adapt to RedHat is...well, confusing me at the moment. :D I can see what they are trying to do, but I'm not sure where to go with it. I don't appear to have anything remotely like a boot.local file. :w00t: Also not really seeing the SCSI emulation take over the IDE drive as it's implied. So maybe the SCSI thing isn't quite working. :blink:

Hi TeckyI think this line:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ /dev/hdc=ide-scsi

Has to be

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi

Please try that one, write Grub to MBR and reboot . . . . hope it works this time.:blink: Bruno

:D :o :w00t: :blink: Thanks Bruno. I would've been blind for days looking for that one. :rolleyes:But, what exactly is "inofficial" supposed to mean? :D
[root@localhost root]# cdrecord -scanbusCdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jrg SchillingLinux sg driver version: 3.1.24Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.75 02/10/21 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').scsibus0:        0,0,0     0) 'TEAC    ' 'DW-28E          ' '1.0A' Removable CD-ROM        0,1,0     1) *        0,2,0     2) *        0,3,0     3) *        0,4,0     4) *        0,5,0     5) *        0,6,0     6) *        0,7,0     7) *[root@localhost root]#

:D :o :w00t: :blink: Thanks Bruno. I would've been blind for days looking for that one. :rolleyes:But, what exactly is "inofficial" supposed to mean? :o
Hurray !!! It worked !! . . . . . . . well do we really care what "inofficial" means ? :D :o Bruno

pc-tecky: It's just a guess but I think they mean "unofficial". A lot of developers don't have English as their first language and stumble on some words. I think unofficial in this case means it's using a driver that Red Hat hasn't approved of yet, but don't be concerned about it. A lot of stuff wouldn't work at all if it wasn't for unofficial drivers.