Windows XP Pro

yarddog1953

I am running XP Home and I would like to upgrade to Pro, and I don't want to do a clean install if I don't have to. My files and settings are just the way I want them so can't I just upgrade to pro with no problems? I've been reading a lot of fourms and newsletters and everyone says that a clean install is the best...but the OS I have now is the same one I'm wanting to upgrade to except that Pro has a few more "bells and whistles" than Home does so won't "upgrade" do just that...add a few more "bells and whistles"?Win XP HomeP4 2.4 ghz768 MB Rambus RAM40 GB Maxtor HDnVidia GE Force4Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound cardLite-On DVD- ROMSamsung CD-R/RWFlat Panel MonitorBroadband CableThanks in advance for any comments/suggestions!

Shouldn't be a problem. But if you do want to do a clean install and carry over your data and settings you could use the Files and Transfers Settings Wizard to temporarily backup your current My Document's folder and application settings. You then use the Wizard again to restore the settings. This requires a second partition or network share to store the transfer files and settings.

Thanks Peachy,I don't really want to create a partition on my HD, it is configured with FAT 32 at the beginning, and NTFS for the rest and it works just fine now. I do have several backups of my system with Norton Ghost and I do incremental backups of My Documents and personal files once a week or so with NTI Backup Now! but I don't want to lose all of my tweaks and settings that I have worked so hard to get just right.I just need to know..can I put the Pro Upgrade CD-ROM in and just run it and turn my XP Home into XP Pro? I want to use the Remote features and the security of file encryptions that are not available to me with the Home version.Thanks again

Just a postscript to this thread.....I installed XP pro over top of XP Home and it was okay, but it ran kinda of erratic...and when I tried to put my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse back on ( I had put the original keyboard and mouse from Dell on before I started the upgrade so I would be sure that the computer would be sure and be able to "see" the mouse and keyboard)...the computer would boot up fine, but the mouse and keyboardwere frozen and would not work at all...the pointer just sat there...and I had no way to turn the computer off...I had to unplug it from the wall!!! Anyway, I then tried to put a ghost image of my XP Home back on so I could go back to where I was before I put XP Pro on and I was about 4 disks into the restore process (out of 10 disks) when Norton Ghost ran into an error and said to contact Symantec via e-mail about the problem!!(No way to e-mail from DOS!!!) What a joke!!! SO....I had no choice then but to do a CLEAN install and I guess that was a blessing in disguise, because now my computer runs like the day I got it from Dell over 1 year ago!!! XP PRO rocks!!! This is a great OS and my advice to anyone is if you want to upgrade to XP Pro from another OS...DO A CLEAN INSTALL!!! <_<