HP to get out of Computer Business

BillD

I'd start here http://www.openprinting.org/printersput in a brand and model and see if there is a driver if you need to purchase a new printer.Brotherhttp://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/p...x/en/index.htmlEpsonhttp://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/Canon (linking to ftp because the Canon page is in Japanese)ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/

Guest LilBambi

Any of the Epson Artisan and Workforce wireless printers listed in the Epson results under the Perfectly section won't let you down for sure, many of the Stylus are good too, but I really like the Artisan and Workforce wireless all in ones.

Well, I had an early Stylus Epson and it was extremely expensive to operate and held up very poorly. And my Canon only had a driver if I wanted to buy it for $30 (or was it $40) from a 3rd party vendor. And the print head on it went bad in a year anyway. So I went back to HP which, altho having a rather poor reputation in the QC area the past few years, at least did not leave one in the lurch on Linux. I remember contacting Canon at the time and asked them when they were gong to put out Linux drivers for their printers, and they said they had no plans to do so at all!Times obviously are changing, however there was an article in the newspaper about this, and the implication was that someone else was going to buy the PC and printer business; who that might be appears to be something HP is wondering also . . . However, maybe someone might buy them that would take more interest in QC . . . but on the other hand a new owner might not realize that HP has had many sales simply because they provided Linux support when other manufacturers did not.Guess only time will tell.Bill

Edited by BillD

Guest LilBambi

Yep, just have to keep up on the current I guess. Seems printers rotate like hard drives and PCs themselves as to who makes the ones that hold up the best. HP has come in and out of favor, as have Canon and Epson. But right now, the ones I mentioned are being made pretty well and work with all OSes.

Well, thanks for the input, people. All viewed and bookmarked. I like HP because I generally go with USB and it was totally painless by just clicking the "add printer" deal in the HP toolbox (with the exception of Mint and Laserjet a couple of years ago!).However, I am not currently in the market for one anyway. I just hope someone continues to make the toner and ink cartridges for HP's for awhile :thumbsup: Bill

Edited by BillD

Guest LilBambi

Yes, that will be an issue for sure ... the cartridges. Especially since they have put stupid little computers in the cartridges and the printers. Another patent nightmare for consumers? :thumbsup:

Well, the more I read and see about this HP project, the more worried I am; this guy seems even less competent than Carly Fiorina; I don't think he has a clue as to what he is doing . . . and that's dangerous for any company!Bill

A brother color laser printer/scanner/fax fell into my lap this month and it has been working like a champ on my Bodhi box.The drivers are closed source, but they work like a champ.~Jeff

For linux Brother and HP are the ways to go, Canon too if you have a look first before you buy at their website for linux driver offerings, or in some cases on their ftp site. Epson linux drivers were available at the Avasys website. There used to be a thread about printers and drivers in linux maintained by me. I asked the mods if there was anybody to take over after all the years I worked on it, never got a reply. For those still interested that 9 paged thread is here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=17529 ,but remember it's not maintained anymore.

Well, HP has made a number of odd decisions; their test equipment line used to be top notch with excellent support; then Carly Fiorina sold it off . . .However, I saw a full page add/announcement in the newspaper this week saying the HP name would continue to represent the top quality PC's and support (hah!) it has always had; not sure what that meant or why they put it in there.Bill

Edited by BillD

V.T. Eric Layton

There was a full page ad in the St. Petersburg (FL) Times newspaper on Sunday placed by Hewlett Packard. They claim they are the number one seller of computers worldwide and intend to stay that way. :)

Yes, I think that is the same one I saw. They must have decided not to sell the computer part off, or else they are trying to stave off devaluation of it before selling. I suspect the HP guy that made the announcement has had some regrets about the statement in one way or another . . .Bill