Windows cached password question

telecomguy9

telecomguy9

Hi all. I have a Windows 7 laptop that's a member of a Windows domain. The person using this laptop can obviously log into it with his domain credentials (domainname\username and then his domain account password) when he's connected to the network or not. What I'm wondering is if there's a time limit set on how long that password will be cached locally. This laptop may not connect directly to our network for 6 months or more. What I'm worried about is if one day in a few weeks he'll attempt to log into the laptop with his domain credentials and be told he can't because he's not connected to the domain. Any idea on how long that password is cached for?

Hi all. I have a Windows 7 laptop that's a member of a Windows domain. The person using this laptop can obviously log into it with his domain credentials (domainname\username and then his domain account password) when he's connected to the network or not. What I'm wondering is if there's a time limit set on how long that password will be cached locally. This laptop may not connect directly to our network for 6 months or more. What I'm worried about is if one day in a few weeks he'll attempt to log into the laptop with his domain credentials and be told he can't because he's not connected to the domain. Any idea on how long that password is cached for?
Password expirations policies are usually set through Active Directory as far as corporate network access. Having said that, the premise for this question seems to be a bit off. Do you not have a network admin or a lead tech at this company where the employee works? They are usually the ones that set the password expiration policies and they could easily answer this question for you.We have a lot of traveling employees where I work as well. To go for 6 months or more without logging into the corporate network seems like a far fetched scenario. Especially if they are a permanent employee. How are they getting their e-mails? If they're not communicating via phone or blackberry devices, they have to atleast send updates via VPN or remote access.

Not a time limit but the number of times (10 to 50) the user can log on using the cached logon info. You can set this CachedLogonsCount by editing the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\). This you do on the laptop, followed by a restart.

Edited by b2cm