XP: force Internet accesses to wireless conn in presence of wired conn

jeffw_00

In our office we have only wireless networking. However, it hasn't been working so well lately, and since we're moving soon, we're not going to fix it. I just got a linux box, which I want to use by VNCing from my WIN XP laptop. The wireless is too flakey, so I have connected the laptop (using its wired internet connection) and the linux box to an old wired-only router (Microsoft MN100). Problem: When the router is connected to the laptop, the laptop won't access the internet. It appears to insist on using the MN100 as the gateway. I used the route command to change the default gateway to the wireless router [route change 0.0.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.255 <wireless router> METRIC 10], and the route table looks right, but still doesn't work.What's the trick to MAKE it use the wireless router for internet browsing?Thanks!/j

In our office we have only wireless networking. However, it hasn't been working so well lately, and since we're moving soon, we're not going to fix it. I just got a linux box, which I want to use by VNCing from my WIN XP laptop. The wireless is too flakey, so I have connected the laptop (using its wired internet connection) and the linux box to an old wired-only router (Microsoft MN100). Problem: When the router is connected to the laptop, the laptop won't access the internet. It appears to insist on using the MN100 as the gateway. I used the route command to change the default gateway to the wireless router [route change 0.0.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.255 <wireless router> METRIC 10], and the route table looks right, but still doesn't work.What's the trick to MAKE it use the wireless router for internet browsing?Thanks!/j
how is the MN100 connected to the wireless router?

it's not, at all. the idea is that the wired network from the laptop to the linux box is a separate, isolated, 2-client network.thanks/j

Hi Temmu - thanks - but since it was a short-term need, we only wanted to put limited effort into it. Eventually, we solved it short-term by putting the linux box in another physical site where it can be connected via wired internet, and long-distance VNC to it (Which is surprisingly lag-free). As part of the debugging, we did work with the route table and even it looked like we had what we wanted we weren't getting what we needed.Thanks anyway - I appreciate it./j